El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know why my thread was closed. This is my car which was stolen and vin ripped out. I AM NOT WANTING ANOTHER VIN. IT HAS BEEN TAKING CARE OF "LEGALLY" WITH THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA!!!. All I wanted to know does it drop in value because of it. Members I guess, didn't read it correctly and ASSUMED I need a new vin which is not my case. I am in no way asking or doing anything illegal LMAO!! Someone told me I won't get the money I want for it because of the stolen vin even tho it's been fixed and recorded with the state of Oklahoma.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
The thread started to drift off into talk of buying a VIN and clear title. A similar thread the other day went the same way. I can't imagine any place where it would be legal to change VIN #'s.

That being said, I'd have to agree the value diminishes. Wouldn't you be a little leary of a car with a state VIN? Think of it along the lines of a Salvage title. That value is diminished too. Some insurance companies don't even want to insure salvage title cars.
Did you have to put up a bond for the car in case the rightful owner comes along and can prove ownership? I know you said it's your car. Was it yours before it got stolen?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
If it's been fixed with your state then there should be no problem with it BUT you use that word FIXED, I don't blame them for taking your thread down. You must be very careful in the words you use on here sometimes and when it happen to me, I excepted it and just moved on. Michael in Virginia:neutral2:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ok, no that's not what I am doing lol. I want to sell it now but don't wanna screw myself for that crap the idiots done. Trust me it was a pain jus getting the stamp. They steal my car and info and I suffer in the end. Thanks for clearing it up because I did get lost myself in the responses. No one read it correctly like I said I'm guessing

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
A "state" vin might be an issue at sale time; however, if you have supporting documentation to explain it you should be OK. I would buy it given the circumstances. NYSDMV wouldn't treat it as a salvage or rebuilt title.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's been fixed with your state then there should be no problem with it BUT you use that word FIXED, I don't blame them for taking your thread down. You must be very careful in the words you use on here sometimes and when it happen to me, I excepted it and just moved on. Michael in Virginia:neutral2:
Oh ok didn't know the sensitivity lol gesh

The thread started to drift off into talk of buying a VIN and clear title. A similar thread the other day went the same way. I can't imagine any place where it would be legal to change VIN #'s.

That being said, I'd have to agree the value diminishes. Wouldn't you be a little leary of a car with a state VIN? Think of it along the lines of a Salvage title. That value is diminished too. Some insurance companies don't even want to insure salvage title cars.
Did you have to put up a bond for the car in case the rightful owner comes along and can prove ownership? I know you said it's your car. Was it yours before it got stolen?
Yes, again it is my car and I have all the documents required with the state for this problem...... Now with that being said, how much in value because it's pretty clean. Thanx again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A "state" vin might be an issue at sale time; however, if you have supporting documentation to explain it you should be OK. I would buy it given the circumstances. NYSDMV wouldn't treat it as a salvage or rebuilt title.
Thank you, that's what I was thinking myself and yes all paperwork i do have. I think he might been trying to get me to go way low on pricing for him lol. Thanks again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Micheal, I never used the word "fixed" in my first post. I said it has a "state tax stamp". I guess people didn't read it right lol
@Donny, LoL

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
O.K., since I missed something are you saying someone stole your car and removed the VIN plate and you found it??? Good job, I hope some butt kicking was involved!!!!
So now that you have it back without a VIN plate what is Oklahoma going to do issue a new one? If they did I would think it would say salvage since it got stolen? I'm just asking because I haven't seen this happen before so I just want to know?:dontknow:
Donny

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K., since I missed something are you saying someone stole your car and removed the VIN plate and you found it??? Good job, I hope some butt kicking was involved!!!!
So now that you have it back without a VIN plate what is Oklahoma going to do issue a new one? If they did I would think it would say salvage since it got stolen? I'm just asking because I haven't seen this happen before so I just want to know?:dontknow:
Donny[/COULOR]

No i didn't get the vin back and yes I could not believe it when the cops called and said they had recovered it. I thought she was gone forever. Dummies stole the exhaust from the manifold back. Wired a speaker box in it and was driving around in it. It sounded like a dragster, I mean real stupid..... Yes it has been assigned a new "Oklahoma serial number authorization". I never knew people stole vins lol. But there were caddy keys, and different caddy remotes on the floorboard from two states. I told the cops and they said jus throw them away lol. Good ole police work. At least they got mine back lolololol!!!!!

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Your stolen VIN is now worthless for any legitimate use. Anyone found with it on a vehicle would be redflagged by NCIC if there was a document check by thr "fuzz". The thief is obviously a buffoon.
I am no expert, but because you have taken the legal steps I don't think it should negatively impact the cruck's value unless it is going to become a high dollar show car or headed to Barrett-Jackson for auction.:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have and thanks again. Like I said I didn't think it would and it's still pretty clean. Jus don't want it anymore after the theft. I want a Gen 5 SS now lol.

·
0 Posts
Sorry the info on the other thread. Now I know what to say if I want a thread closed.:poke:
Back on topic,the vin is worthless like said above but can you just clone it with another project and part the stolen one out?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry the info on the other thread. Now I know what to say if I want a thread closed.:poke:
Back on topic,the vin is worthless like said above but can you just clone it with another project and part the stolen one out?
No problem and yea that's what you wanna say to get it closed that's for sure lol. I really understand tho jus didn't want to get a ugly picture lol. Naw man I'm not the cloning type lol. I like the real mccoys lol. And it's to clean for parting. I'm gonna clean it up sum and post here for members at a members price tomorrow. Thanks!!

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
For me personally I'd expect to pay at least $1500 less. Cars like this are OK if you're never going to sell them. Even then, get stopped by the wrong cop and see what a nightmare it can be. There are so many of these cars around that a buyer really has no reason to get involved in something that needs explaining over and over. Unless of course the deal is too good to pass up.
When I first put the vintage plates on my elky, I got pulled over on a parkway here in NY. Cop told me my car didn't exist. I had the insurance ID, the NYS registration, and the proper stickers on the window. He wanted to impound the car. When I explained that all these documents were real, he showed me his computer screen that still showed my plate registered to my 76 blazer and expired in 1985! This was 2006! He even said that the blazer had been issued new plates in 1986 and his screen showed those as well. He let me go. Told me to keep it off the road until I went back to DMV Monday morning and fixed it. At DMV I was told they did make a mistake and the cop was right.
Had another incident with my Torino years ago when I put vintage plates on that one. Got pulled over by 2 unmarked "anti-crime" cars. One behind me and one that blocked me by coming out of the side street ahead. Cops with guns drawn ordered me to shut the car off and keep my hands up and removed me from the car. I asked them what did I do. Their response...."You're driving a car with plates that expired 20 years ago let's start from there!" Then when they realized everything was in order, they said they didn't know you could use year of manufacture plates in NY. So yeah find the wrong cop or the right cop with the wrong info and......

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I got pulled over one time for a cracked windshield in a 1981 chevy plow truck.

Got told my reg. didnt match the truck and they started checking VINs.

I had just registered the truck and ask what was wrong. "These plates are reg. to a 1981 Caprice (cpr.)".

I pointed out that he was looking at the coler line and my truck was COPPER colored.:dontknow:

I still got a fix-it ticket for the windshield.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts