El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new insulation pad for under the hood. I understand it uses the fasteners that came with it, but also needs to be glued in places. What glue should I use?

Jack

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,581 Posts
GM-OEM hood insulators use fasteners only, no adhesive. GM's theory is that in the event of an engine compartment fire, the plastic fasteners will melt and the pad will fall on the engine, possibly helping to suppress the flames. Since I made my own insulating pads, I glued mine with silicone sealer. That way, if I change my mind later, I can get a relatively clean release from the paint, possibly avoiding finish damage.

Bill

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
GM-OEM hood insulators use fasteners only, no adhesive. GM's theory is that in the event of an engine compartment fire, the plastic fasteners will melt and the pad will fall on the engine, possibly helping to suppress the flames. Since I made my own insulating pads, I glued mine with silicone sealer. That way, if I change my mind later, I can get a relatively clean release from the paint, possibly avoiding finish damage.

Bill
and once again, I've just learned something I did not know, nor would've ever known! Thank you for that info. :beer:

·
Registered
155 Posts
No Glue, just the fasteners.
I recently took the stock/original one off my 84 and installed a new one.

·
Registered
434 Posts
FWIW I’ve never seen glue on a stock S-10 hood insulation. Plastic fasteners only.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I have seen some aftermarket insulators that are no where near the stiffness the original ones and will sag between the retainers. Gluing can be done but the material will give up soon. Honestly there isn't much you can do. Honestly, I have run many cars over the years without the sagging hood insulators and haven't noticed any problems with the paint or heat in the engine compartment. Someone may have some differing info but my ElCo is running insulator-less and so far no problems to report after 3 years!

Joe

·
Registered
578 Posts
Use of any type of adhesive will be worthless because of heat in the engine compartment. Adhesives don't hold up when heated. Save your money! Get the right fasteners.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Do NOT use a heat gun. They are too hot and you risk shrinking the sheet metal and/or peeling the paint. The make sprays specifically for glue removal that should work fine. Even rubbing alcohol should work OK. Denatured alcohol is just a little more aggressive but should still be OK and so would paint thinner or mineral spirits that are used for thinning oil based paints. Lacquer thinner, acetone and urethane reducer are too aggressive so don't use those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts