El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 87 305 my secondaries seized for my computer controlled carb. Not a problem sent it out to get rebuilt turns out i need to get a new throttle plate from a junk yard for this rebuild. In the mean time i had a edelbrock 1405 manual carb that i skeptically threw in pretty much because another mechanic i work with said its a straightforward in out done job and i had to disagree and by doing so decided to do the swap to prove him wrong.

Ok i knew this wasnt going to be a bolt off bolt on type of job i knew there were going to be all these emission vacuum lines i would have to deal with the throttle cable and tcc lock up cable needed basic mods not to hard but holy moly did i not know i would be putting in this much time capping off all the vacuum lines moving the fuel line brake booster pipe thread not the right size no vacuum advance on the distributor (because i have now made my ecm a paper weight by removing all the computer carb hook ups). not the carbs fault but i bought a new power plus vortex intake manifold and the egr hits the valve cover but another problem.

P.S if anyone has dont this or knows about these vacuum lines you would be a huge time saver instead of me having to figure out where all these lines (which my old carb had 6 or 7 vacuum line hook ups ) to this new carb which has a port for timed vacuum and manifold vacuum and now my job is to figure out which lines are going to get timed manifold or capped off.

The funny things is i posted about this before i started to both see what people were saying and see if anyone has done it, received very few replies didnt seem like anyone did exactly what i am attempting but all they said is YOU ARE OPENING A BOX OF WORMS!!! and they were 100% correct on that one alot more trouble then its worth but hey why not try it out see how she preforms ill keep anyone who wants to know on the progress updated.

p

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ps. if anyone has done this swap before or knows and can explain these vacuum lines you would save my a great deal of time having to figure out which ones are going to get timing vacuum manifold vacuum or capped off.(the old 3C had 6 or 7 vacuum line ports to hook up to this edelbrock only has the 2 timed and manifold). So any tips advice or anything you might think is helpful would be greatly appreciated.

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,248 Posts
This reply isn't specific to the Edelbrock swap, but any performance carburetor will not have anywhere near 6 or 7 vacuum hook ups. You can "tee" off of the vacuum lines with a small plastic tee from the parts store, as one option. Another option is to buy a new fitting where the vacuum hookup is on the manifold (usually right behind carburetor on passenger side), and you'll look for one with 3 or 4 ports on it. This might help you get a little closer. Someone else who has done the Quadrajet to Edelbrock swap on a 5th gen can help you more!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Adam is right. They also make a space to fit on top of the carb under the air cleaner that also has vacuum ports on it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
On the EGR for a quick fix I stacked I think 4 gaskets then ordered a EGR spacer from Summit or Jegs. I used a port off the intake manifold that was plugged if you have one and teed off that for a couple of vacuum hoses.

Look here!!!!!

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=edelbrock+1405+vacuum+diagram&oq=edelbrock+1405+vacuum+diagram&gs_l=hp.3..0.49.8287.1.9029.15.6.0.9.9.2.1116.2437.1j1j2j5-1j0j1.6.0....0...1c.1.22.psy-ab..2.14.1260.PBOdFppeZhE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49784469,d.cGE&fp=60c313ef8cdd4a3c&biw=1024&bih=641

·
Registered
558 Posts
I See that you're in Cali. I would be concerned without a computer controlled carb you won't pass emissions. I just finished removing most of those same vacuum lines from my 85 monte. I have helped remove emissions stuff from a few el camino's so I knew what enough of the lines were for to be able to disconnect the majority of the ones for the smog pump etc.

If you want to not have problems with the computer controlled carb I would get ahold of mountain man's carbs. Every member on here raves about him. He'll rebuild a carb specifically for your needs. I've rebuilt several mechanical carbs but I wouldn't touch a computer controlled one.

Anyways just my 2cents
Jerry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aeilenstein... Hit it on the head. That was exactly what im planning on doing already bought the plastic T's and the rubber nipples to cap off any lines i dont need also im not sure if this is what your talking about but i do have a line behind the carb that connects directly to the intake manifold for vacuum lines but that is currently being used for my cruise controll and that line T's off for a couple other lines i think having to do with ac or heater. Hkdup87 thank you that seems like it will work like a charm my new intake came with a plate to cap off the egr port so i drilled it out to try and use it as an extension plate but it was still a little too small i think the 4 gasket trick will work perfectly!!! Andiamo you are correct i will not pass smog but aug 2nd i am getting a old used 350 that i will rebuild fully and im not an expert on smog rules and regs but im assuming if i have an engine that is up to california emissions ill pass? i know that any modifications can get you to a big old Fail but im hoping either a complete 350 wouldnt count as a modification just an engine swap (i also have a year and a half before i need to get smogged again so hoping everything will be up to par by then).

Making the room for the lines or T'ing them off isnt my problem and i dont know if im over thinking this or if some even matter where they are plugged in but the problem im struggling with now is where they go. ill break it down for you guys a little i know timed vacuum is at idle and manifold is after idle (i could have mixed those up) and so i know you wouldnt want the egr valve open during idle so you would put that line to manifold vacuum. theres 1 down i still have thermal vent valve line temp sensor line one from the purge valve and so on. heres a link to a emissions diagram if you need to check em all out.

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/3b69b-need-vacume-diagram-87-elcamino-305-please-incluude.html

and i know im not supposed to have this many hook ups for this carb because im not supposed to put this style on this new of a year but there has to be a way and ive looked and looked and can not find a definitive answer where each line should be hooked to or if there is a certain way to hook it up so the vacuum goes through the lines in the proper direction.

Thanks guys you have helped me out of so many sticky situations this is yet another

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
I swapped my 305 with a new crate 350 I just peeled off the 350 GM stickers and when the smog guy asked I said yes it's a 305 but you need all the smog hooked up and working. Now we have to go to what's called a STAR STATION for super emissions poulters their supposed to be better trained in failing us.

When it comes to smog time I have all the stuff here we can put on yours for the test as long as you have the elect. plugs still wired under the hood. I live in L.A./Commerce Ca. real close to you. Also have a guy who will pass it if he is now a STAR STATION it's been 3-years sense I had to do the $$$$ pass no questions.

Robert

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea smog is least of my worries right now (and i hope saying that doesnt come back to bite me in the ***) but can anyone answer my question about how i should wire the vacuum lines to what port? or if not does anyone know somewhere i can find the answer it has to be out there somewhere. ha ha

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Your BEST BET is to pack up that carb and send it to Mountain Man Carbs and let him bring it back to 110 percent of new ! You have really opened a can,BIG CAN, of BIG worms ! Go back and put it back stock. Mountain Man is the BEST ,period !! OF course you could move off the west coast !

·
Supporting Member
4,373 Posts
Can't answer your questions on the vacuum lines, but be VERY CAREFUL with the TV cable. If the geometry is not just right, you will burn up your trans in just a few miles. I believe they sell the correct throttle arm replacement for the Edelbrock.

As for SMOG, every part/device will have to be hooked up an working to get through the inspection. Just don't tell them it's a 350- automatic fail since it was not available for this year vehicle.

Really, really reconsider taking all the stuff off. In CA, it's just not worth it. Besides, you'll lose some mileage:neutral:

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,650 Posts
STORY !!!!
Two year ago my B-in Law had his 87 and he had unhooked and done some of what your are doing, he went to get smog, the guy failed it before he tested it for unhook factory smog control items, he was told to bring it back to factory given a time line before he was in violation of smog act something or other.
So he sold the car it went out of state. He then purchased a 71 made sure it was running good and up to the 30 year smog laws passed the first time.

So this might be easier to put back stock or get a GEN 1,2,3, I feel for you I am a native SoCAl until 95. Like Ca but like FL, so if I return would not have a problem with a 69 so I am told and the NECOA is good there so I would be happy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 1 buddy who owns a smog shop and 1 who works at a test only shop smog should not be a problem for me if I wanna throw them a little $$$. But my final vision for the elco is my same 305 efi (yes I'm also building a 350). If I convert the 305 to efi and just modernize the engine with some newer tech will that have a problem passing? I'm going for fuel economy with just an itty bit more horsepower shes both my daily driver and my project car which can get challenging sometimes and that is why this carb is getting thrown on her because the old 3C carb I have is out being rebuilt as we speak but need to still drive her in the meantime. Unfortunately I cannot put her in the garage and just build her up like I want to but looking to buy another daily so I can. Fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
You've been warned of the impending danger ! Its a real shame that the few of us that love our old cars have to be railroaded into selling them or keeping the junk emissions on them ! Surely it can't be that bad in Ca. that a relaxation of the old cars emission system would hurt that much. Good luck on your quest.
WP

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are right on the money with that one WP. This el camino has been in the family 20 years 5 of them in mine and I have been offered alot more then it's worth I've been offered a 85 corvette worth alot more then my elco I've had everyone of my buddies tell me to sell it but I just can't part with "MY" elco. Sadly the only think that is going to stop me is California's smog police. Seems like they wouldn't bat an eye if all these older cars and trucks disappeared. But what can ya do :(.... Luckily I have alot of buddies in the industry and can get around that...I hope ha ha

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
about the only things you really need to drive it down the road is

brake booster,,,, add a piece of hose to the hose from the check valve.
PCV,,,, hook it to the big port on front.
tank vent/canister,,,, try it on the the timed, but it looks like it needs more than 1. cant tell much from that diagram
and a vacuum advance distributer,,,, for it to run any where nearly as good,, hook it to full vacuum port..
the hot air valve on the air cleaner,,, just wire it open.. it may be normally open any way??

timed or ported vacuum port only has vacuum with the throttle open..
full or manifold vacuum is there all the time..:popcornsmiley:

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
The thing that would worry me would be that you get it running and thru the smog test with a little "help" from your buddies and THEN you get stopped randomly on the highway and they impound your car ! Also your buddies would be in for a HUGE fine ! It just ain't worth the chance ! Put it back like it was ,get the carb setup by Mountain Man and enjoy your pride and joy. You spoke of economy and that is exactly what I have to have on mine. I bought a brand new 84 Elcam in the latter of 83 and that little jewel gave me over 225K miles of 25 on the road ,with all the smog stuff ! My 86 CCC has a later model 305 truck engine with a non feedback mountain Man carb,vac distributor ,etc. and the computer sits on the shop shelf,2004-R tranny and I get 18 around town and 26 on the road. That just proves the emission crap is just that !! Git er going and enjoy her !
WP:buttkick:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts