El Camino Central Forum banner

What have you done to your El Camino today!

718K views 7K replies 689 participants last post by  Indianjohn 
Pulled dash out my Elk, removed factory speedo and replacing it with Autometer gauges, new switches and added black SS dash strip. Now time to wire in gauges and install dash.

Nice looking dash, glad I don’t have that much spaghetti under my dash;)

It’s been awhile since my last post. Time sure flies by when you’re trying to take care of day to day issues and the unexpected things that pop up. I’m slowly making progress on my Elky. New gauges installed and seat reupholstered with TMI bolstered seats. Getting ready to do headliner hopefully this week. Weather is warming up (90’s) so it should be good time to let the sun warm up the headliner. My goal is to get it back on the road before the end of the month.

After 6 years of procrastination, many of life’s hurdles I finally finished my interior. I even got to drive it around the neighborhood at a very slow speed due to all the other new parts for the exterior in the cargo box. The last time the elk was driven was over a year ago. Next project is to remove old peeling bumpers, add new trim pieces, a good detailing and I should be ready to roll down the highway just in time for the monsoon season.

Attachments

Took off peeling bumpers. While I was at it took off entire grill section, headlight buckets and eye brow trim. Gong to touch up paint and replace grill with SS grill and new headlight trim, and add trim along the lower valance. Fix wiring at the rear of car before reinstalling bumper. This should keep me busy for the rest of the week.

Yesterday I reinstalled headlight and grill support along with lower valance. My El Camino never had the trim kit for the lower valance, I laid out the trim along the valance and marked the mounting screw locations. I made template to mark locations to drill holes for mounting and installed the lower valance trim. Called it a day and will install grill and remaining trim today.

Attachments

Finished up my grill today. Installed new horn relay. Decided to change sway bar ran into issue. Will be starting thread in suspension section on subject matter.
78 Elk thanks for compliment.

Attachments

Checked and cleaned all the loose wiring for tail lamps and back up lights. Still need to secure wiring to frame. Also installed new bumper and tail light lenses. Can’t find my defusers in my hoard of parts. Will install once located. Also need to find tee fitting for air lines to air bags. Right now they are individually filled.

Attachments