El Camino Central Forum banner

What have you done to your El Camino today!

718K views 7K replies 689 participants last post by  Indianjohn 
We had trouble in the police cars with them forgetting to turn stuff off. We used the relays powered on by the ignition switch for everything but the electric door locks. When the key went off so did the vehicle.
Tom

Tore into the carb again today, after spending hours researching why I was having such a hard start and every answer coming back as choke or timing. Timing is 0° without ecm, choke is set (thanks Lars) again, everything as far as I can see is good. Back to more research, and an hour later find 1 little blurb talking about the fuel filter. What the heck, nothing to loose now, so looked that up too. And found a YouTube video showing exactly how to remove/install one on a quadrajet.

6 hours of research, days of tinkering and tweeking and weeks of hard starts boiled down to a 50¢ piece of rubber. The fuel filter check valve that was not in there when I got the carb rebuilt. New filter, no check valve. Bowl was siphoned empty every night, no wonder it wouldn't start with a simple pump or 3 on the gas pedal.
Picture of filter and valve please.
Tom

Where is your 1100 mile trip taking you?
Bought the El Camino in Florida 14 months ago. Had it shipped to NJ because I retired from there and was an electrical contractor that wires body and mechanics shops and made friends. My garage shop is in NJ. I am a resident of Florida but summer in Cape May area. I have this thing running excellently after 2 summers and I will drive it to Florida on 10/17. Film at 11.
Tom

Mine was stamped pretty hard also. Put it in a vice and it came apart with a dead blow. Cut some off the inside piece to make it collapse more and measured it to just fit on the splines. Used a flare wrench below the top u joint and dead blowed it on the d shaft. It’s been fine for 3 months and 500 miles. I did have to move the steering wheel 2 splines to center it.
Tom