El Camino Central Forum banner

4021 - 4040 of 4216 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
thanks for the suggestion. i hope it is as simple as that but i almost wonder if the click-click noise i am getting is too loud to be a cotter pin.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There are a lot of things that it could be. Rock in a hub cap, electrical solenoid shorting in and out, broken spring in a brake hub, loose steering component, something loose in the steering column, could you have a loose wheel, exhaust hitting the frame, bad wheel bearing, on and on. Is it a metallic sound? Or, does it sound electrical?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Finally replaced my fuel tank. The original one had a leak where the fill tube met the tank ever since I bought the car last year. And lucky me: the brand new tank leaks from the same spot. What a pain. I’m thinking that rather than going through the BS of returning it and ordering a replacement I’ll try the JB Weld treatment on the new tank once I run it dry enough to make removing it a bit easier.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Speedometer fix

When I bought the Black Knight a few months ago I was told they had put all new seals and filter in the tranny. They did but when reinstalling the tail shaft they forgot the clip for the drive gear. So I reinstalled the drive gear clip and tail shaft and now have speedometer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe a universal joint.
it is on the list to check when i got a lot more time. about the biggest problem with vehicles that sits so low, got to jack they way of to slide under them.
There are a lot of things that it could be. Rock in a hub cap, electrical solenoid shorting in and out, broken spring in a brake hub, loose steering component, something loose in the steering column, could you have a loose wheel, exhaust hitting the frame, bad wheel bearing, on and on. Is it a metallic sound? Or, does it sound electrical?
i am pretty sure whatever it is is mechanical. brakes/front wheel bearing are all good. steering seems tight. all wheels were re-torqed today just to be safe and all were tight. can't seem to see any spots where the exhaust or anything is obviously hitting. like i said i have a hard time recreating it or having it happen consistently. it just randomly happens. i have tried shaking the car around even steering back and forth or driving forwards and backwards up the street.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Another idea, I had an S10 Extreme and I had a sort of clicking, clanking noise going on in the front end. It was the sway bar links. One of them broke and I replaced both and the noise was gone. The truck even handled better.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I re-re-installed my new fuel tank after a liberal application of JB Weld around the brazed seam where the filler neck joins to the tank. I sanded it down to bare metal and let the epoxy cure for a day before putting the tank back in yesterday. I gave it another day then put fuel in it today. No more fuel seeping.

I was a bit surprised that the tank shipped looking like a giant fudge bar with the fill neck just sticking out of the end of the box. I’m guessing the fill neck was bent around a bit during shipment, thus causing the minor leak. Oh well; it works now so I’m happier than I would have been to send it back (probably on my dime) and wait for a replacement.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Finished four jobs this weekend.

First: I recently freshened up Elsie’s wiper motor and repaired a bad ground. After reinstalling the motor, the wipers worked great, but still didn’t park when turned off. I figured out how to adjust them so that they now park. Took some photos along the way and will try to write a “How-I Did-It” sometime soon. It was easier than I thought it would be, based on some of the posts I've read on the subject in a few forums.

Second: Elsie’s wiper arms were shot, so I installed all-new arms/blades/fillers from Eckler’s (they had the best prices.) Easiest thing I’ve done lately.

Third: Finally installed my four spoke steering wheel. I bought it a couple years ago and it had the standard sticky-feeling surface problem. I read every post I could find about de-stickifying it on every El Camino, Monte Carlo, G-Body, Camaro, Firebird, Chevelle, etc. forum I could find. Saw all kinds of speculation on what causes that stickiness, from seemingly reasonable thoughts to twits trying to sound smart. Tried all kinds of recommendations – not one worked. Even emailed Eastwood to see if they had any recommended products, they hadn’t found anything that works either. Then I met a swap meet vendor who was selling lots of these wheels and they were all nice, clean, and not at all sticky. Learned his technique and adapted it to my circumstances. It worked! So now the wheel is in. The horn button emblem was a left over wheel center cap emblem.

Fourth: I finished installing the 1995 Trans-Am bucket seats I bought at GM Carlisle a couple weeks ago. Happy with the look, but they need to be able to slide back at least two inches farther. I feel cramped behind the wheel. I’m thinking I’ll weld some base plates to the mount bottoms with new holes to relocate them.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Check the heat shield!

Mine was making a similar noise and I slipped a stainless 1/2" nut (has to fit tight) between the shield and the muffler and no more noise! Good luck! :bigups:

it is on the list to check when i got a lot more time. about the biggest problem with vehicles that sits so low, got to jack they way of to slide under them.

i am pretty sure whatever it is is mechanical. brakes/front wheel bearing are all good. steering seems tight. all wheels were re-torqed today just to be safe and all were tight. can't seem to see any spots where the exhaust or anything is obviously hitting. like i said i have a hard time recreating it or having it happen consistently. it just randomly happens. i have tried shaking the car around even steering back and forth or driving forwards and backwards up the street.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i got my elcamino back from the shop today with 3.23 gears and a LSD. definitely scoots along pretty decent now and no more noise driving me crazy. got to take the speedo gear back to the shop to see about getting the right one so the speedo is not so far off tomorrow but that should be easy. they said the trans pan gasket looks like it was leaking so best to change out the speedo gear while fixing that. i was a bit surprised they didn't just do it while it was there but they had it back to me about 24 hours after dropping it off which kind of surprised me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
changed out transmission fluid and filter. a lot more crap found in the pan than i would have liked. really not sure how much life is left in the transmission but i will drive it till it blows at this point. also changed the output shaft seal since i think it was leaking. i did change out the driven gear but need to change out the drive gear and get a new driven gear to get the speedo working accurately. also cleaned up the driveshaft a bit while it was out. not perfect but a tiny bit nicer.

Attachments

4021 - 4040 of 4216 Posts