El Camino Central Forum banner

4041 - 4060 of 4209 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Got the disc brakes, springs and shocks finished....a lot better now. I can practically let go of the steering wheel during a spirited stop.
That's so nice coming from drums to disc.. I often forget how erratic the drums were, pulling to one side all the time..

I recently swapped to drilled and slotted rotors along with Porterfield pads, wow what a difference!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Changed out the stop light switch. The lights were working sporadically. Adjustment of the switch didn't help. Ohmed out erratically. Prices on the switch ranged from 6.87 to over 25.00. Easy fix.

·
Registered
245 Posts
swapped out the thermostat on the elcamino only to find out it already had a 180* thermostat in it. at least i was able to get the bolts out without breaking them and hopefully fixed the housing leak. i know the housing shouldn't need a gasket but i used one anyways. it has slowly been leaking on and off since i did the water pump.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Installed cowl hood hope to get it painted in the next week.
The hood looks good painted semi-flat and then clear coated with satin. Keeps the glare from the sun down. Lots of cars have had flat black hoods from the factory and yours would too.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Added a GPS speedometer module. I’ve got a new transmission and rear end coming for my car and will also be changing the rear tire size. I’m done playing with speedometer gears. I opted for the optional antenna and mounted it to the lower windshield trim at the rear of the right fender. It picked up the satellites immediately and works great. Nice for the tech-toy-type in me to also have elevation, compass heading, and outside temperature available to display. I also added a temperature module for a transmission temperature reading. Whenever I get around to adding cruise control I’ve got an easy speed output to tap now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I've been working on adjusting the transmission modulator and got that good. I also tightened up the inner fender bolts to remove the rattles and squeaks.. Thinking about installing this Stereo 66 Reverb..

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just gott'r back from two different shops. First a custom shop, got the headliner and sun visors all done, man they look nice. Then the mechanic for a complete front end rebuild. If it rattled, shake, bounced, rotated, squeaked, or turned, it got replaced! Now she feels like a new ride! And put in a new under hood insulation to finish off some badly needed TLC. I think she's ready for TX! :banana:

·
Registered
158 Posts
When I bought my truck the driver's door side bucket seat floor mount was broken where it bolts to the floor. I fixed that right away when I got it. I don't like riding around in a rocking chair. Well, when I left the car show on Sunday, got in the truck and pop! The seat broke again, this time at the first pop rivet on the bottom of the rail of the seat. The metal tore straight across the mounting leg. A friend and I went up to Mike's Monte's and got a new bracket that he is now selling. I didn't realize that this was a common break with the El Camino seat or the "G bodies". Got home, drilled out the two pop rivets and installed the new bracket with stainless bolts and nuts. Easy fix in no time. No more rocking chair.
Probably wouldn't hurt for you fellow Elky owners to check your bucket seats for a possible crack around the rivets also.

·
Registered
245 Posts
oiled the door hinges. hoping this stuff keeps the hinges quieter longer than some of the previous stuff i have used. i guess only time will tell but it seems like it started doing the job way quicker than the last stuff i tried.

·
Registered
421 Posts
oiled the door hinges. hoping this stuff keeps the hinges quieter longer than some of the previous stuff i have used. i guess only time will tell but it seems like it started doing the job way quicker than the last stuff i tried.
Don't keep us in suspense! What 'this stuff' is it? :smile3:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't keep us in suspense! What 'this stuff' is it? :smile3:
this is the stuff i have been using. also been using it on cables and many other things lately. hard to say if it works or not. i guess true test is how long before the doors start talking again and annoying me.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
broke the exhaust manifold bolts free. it was surprisingly easy even tho they are so rusty that they are a tad sloppy with 14mm and 1/2" wouldn't fit. the threads were in really good shape. just the heads were in poor shape. would have pulled the manifold and replaced the flange studs if i had new manifold gaskets since i wasn't sure if this manifold is metal to metal or had a gasket. really want to get the exhaust leak at the flange fixed. also finally got the spark plug wires ziptied up. someone had them all ziptied together and i got them all separated. doubt it makes a huge difference but looks a bit better.

4041 - 4060 of 4209 Posts