put on the chrome mirrors,and an 82 year old gentleman made
me a new tonneau cover.Put in white gauge covers and new
steering wheel and chrome gauge rings. Next thing to do is
redo a set of bucket seats I picked up. Russ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Finally replaced all four of my headlight plugs and added relays to the headlight circuits. Now for the first time in the year I’ve had this car my headlights go on and stay on without flickering.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Thanks Rick got a few more things I want to do.
Working on it keeps me kind of sane. Russ
What size wheels are you running? The wheel/tire combo is perfect.

·
Registered
245 Posts
got the exhaust manifold off which was about the easiest thing i did today. snapped 2 flange studs which i figured was going to happen. drilled them out and re-tapped the holes for the new studs and sandblasted/primer'd them. got to wait till tomorrow to paint it since broken studs/sandblasting took longer than it should and primer needed a bit longer to dry. i really like how things are looking but really hate how much work it is to get there. i really need to buy a sandblasting suit or cabinet. sucks sandblasting with just a mask and having to wash my hair 2+ times after to get it all out.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
i really hate how much a pain these manifolds are to install. almost feels like it shrunk because i had to put back bolts in lightly first and then pull it forward to get the front bolts in and even that was a fight. middle bolts went in like they should. i guess at least my exhaust leak is fixed and the 1 exhaust manifold is looking a lot better.

Attachments

·
Senior Member Site Supporter
340 Posts
Yeah, I just went there with that , and do it with a six. At least it looks like you have the room to work.. My plugs are under.. Great lQQking job too.

·
Senior Member Site Supporter
340 Posts
Just finished a new electric fuel pump instal in the back, running the power line to the front and re setting up the regulator in a good place. Now have all my fuele stuff in line , Edelbrock intake manifold, new matching 4bbl carb, and electric fuel pump. ALLLLL,, most ready to find out where the heck Arlington, TX . is.. HA. Now have some oil leaks,, but I am going to carry a 50 gallon barrel of 50wt.. :banana:
CYA.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah, I just went there with that , and do it with a six. At least it looks like you have the room to work.. My plugs are under.. Great lQQking job too.
tons of room. took less than 5 minutes to remove and about 30 to re-install. if the manifold wasn't wonky it would have likely taken half that time. thanks. i got a lot more practice cleaning/painting parts than i would like. every time i tear something apart i usually clean things up and paint them.

today installed new speedo gears and universal joints as well as flush the transmission fluid. the fluid smells way better now than it did. speedo seems way more accurate than it was also. hoping next months fluid/filter change and pan clean comes out bit better since there is not as much crap floating around in the system.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dropped my El Camino at the paint shop today!! The body work took so long. I am super excited. It's not gonna be perfect, but it's gonna be a whole lot better than what it had before. Going with gloss black, so imperfections will show up easily, but she's gonna look mean. Before I started the body work people would say "Oh you've got that El Camino with the white primer," but it wasn't primer... it was just a really crappy old white paint job.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also installed some banjo type fuel fittings so I could fit a standard 14x3 filter over my FiTech unit. Previously had velocity stack style, which looked cool, but not a good filer.

Previous:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Pulled Vacuumn and serviced 134 in my 72. Must have done something right, temperature was 100-104 today and center vent was reading 57 degrees.

FYI - POA was adjusted for 134 by Classic Auto Air , also their parallel flow condenser installed.
Compressor was an S-6 - Aluminum direct replacement for the A-6.
All else 47 year old originals.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Played around with the timing on my stock 454. I ran some 89 and disconnected the vacuum advance and added 4 degrees to the primary timing. Now I am running 20. It runs much better down low, it has a stable feeling since that vacuum advance isn't going up and down with every movement of the gas pedal. I tried 22 but got full throttle ping.. This 454 is low compression so I have lots of room to play with as far as timing goes..

·
Registered
52 Posts
New power steering pump and lines

Got new pump lines and belts installed. Working on getting my Edelbrock 1406 adjusted. If I am at 1500 rpms with all lines to carb installed no smoke but if I drop rpms I get a lot of white smoke. Should I be plugging vacuum line to carb when adjusting idle speed? 1500 seems awful high. 1978 Black Knight 350.

·
Registered
245 Posts
you should probably start a thread about it but shouldn't need to be plugging any vacuum lines to tune the carb. white smoke is usually moisture in the exhaust which should usually disappear once the exhaust has warmed up but rpm shouldn't effect it that much. my 78 runs at about 1500 cold and 700 once the choke is fully open.

4061 - 4080 of 4216 Posts