El Camino Central Forum banner

4081 - 4100 of 4209 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I removed 15 more wires that had no reason being in my 1984-5, and finally got the headers not touching the things they are not suppose to.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Got new pump lines and belts installed. Working on getting my Edelbrock 1406 adjusted. If I am at 1500 rpms with all lines to carb installed no smoke but if I drop rpms I get a lot of white smoke. Should I be plugging vacuum line to carb when adjusting idle speed? 1500 seems awful high. 1978 Black Knight 350.
Might be a bad transmission vacuum modulator. See if the vacuum line has oil in it..

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been playing with (rebuilding and testing) different carburetors. I'm starting to get serious about it now. I've ordered a kit and specific size jets to tune a Q-Jet that I'm going to keep as a backup. I just bought a kit to rebuild my Holley 700 DP with center hung floats and mechanical secondaries. That's the one that I really want to use. I have a really good 1969 Chevelle SS Q-Jet that I rebuilt and tested for 50 miles. It has 76 size jets in the primary so it's just a little too rich for my 327. It's available If anyone needs one for a '69.

·
Senior Member Site Supporter
340 Posts
Well, I think I have done,,, just about all I can to save Lil Brown Jug. Lights all work,replaced the V belts with the kind with groves to cut (or help) cut out the slippage,,, NO leaks, power to all 6 firing pins working and replaced the turn signal part on the inside of the steering wheel. Now that was the LAST thing to do.:cool2: That Edelbrock 4bbl I installed a while back is a real deal, 23-26 on the highway, and round 19 in town. Mmmmnnnnn drives like a new car, sounds a little like a V8,, hahaha.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I dropped mine off at the local High School Vo-tech for a Tune up and front end work. I could have done it but let the kids have some experience on a classic.

·
Senior Member Site Supporter
340 Posts
I dropped mine off at the local High School Vo-tech for a Tune up and front end work. I could have done it but let the kids have some experience on a classic.
NOW THAT, my friend was a very great Idea.:banana: I thank you for your doing that , you will appreciate it and those youngsters will have a great experience.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Adjusted my rear brakes, I removed the self adjusters. I was getting a slight pull to the right, when I jacked the rear end up and ran the car, the right rear wheel was hardly spinning, the left rear was too loose. I adjusted both sides until both tires spin the same and wow what a difference!! The whole car handles differently, nice and straight with a positive balanced feel.. I don't have posi by the way. This does not work with posi rear ends..

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Source

I messed up and ruined a connector for the cruise control. I'm now looking for a replacement. Going to check with our Chevrolet dealer today.

Rich, I don't know for certain what type of connectors are used on a 78 model, but if they are still as used on earlier years, you may be able to find something to work at your local John Deere dealer. It has been a few years since I bought from them, but they had a good assortment. BTW - I'm refering to Packard 56 connectors.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&biw=1366&bih=654&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=sZZxXYfdF6ew5wLNhbCYCg&q=packard+56+connector&oq=packard+56+connector&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24.7884.10699..10947...0.0..0.86.757.10......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i30j0i8i30.f9Qoi12wNUY&ved=0ahUKEwjH-ZDN57rkAhUn2FkKHc0CDKMQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

·
Registered
158 Posts
Replaced the hood with 2" Goodmark Cowl Hood. Replaced spark plugs, wires, new cap and rebuilt carb. Dialed in carb and distributor. Runs a whole lot better. Now have to feather the pedal on take off. Next project is to move license plate to under the bumper in front of spoiler and figure out how make the cowl hood functional. Any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
480 Posts
After nearly two years storage in the trailer roller her out this week. Getting new skins and a change of fluids for some runs down the track this weekend.

4081 - 4100 of 4209 Posts