El Camino Central Forum banner

4181 - 4200 of 4499 Posts

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Didn't do anything today! But did re-install my 4l60e Sunday.....again! After getting it warmed up and checking fluid level, I might actually be road worthy now! Cross your fingers for me my friends! Last time the trans slipped when hot, took a while to notice cause i only went short distances. Apparently the last pump was rebuilt by an inferior re-man co. Going to break it in and hopefully I'll make it to Belton this year!

Joe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rear upper and lower control arms, new Trick Fuel 650 carb, Nitto drag radials. Seemed to have lost gobs of HP with this carb. Will try and tune it up with larger secondary jets and acc pump cams...

·
Registered
274 Posts
still can't even get the starter to turn the engine in 78 even after having the battery on charge for over 24 hours. may end up trying to swap out the battery and hope that solves the issue since the other options suck. may end up just having to let it sit till spring and then drag it out to work on since can't get to the starter with where i got it parked.

·
Premium Member
7,996 Posts
I had a little problem with the battery going dead again a few days ago while trying to start it. When I was trying to start it the tach pegged out. I charged it and let it sit for four days. I went out and started it today. The tach stayed pegged until it ran for awhile, then went back to normal. It ran very well today.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I finished up my dash pad . The one that came with my truck had a broken
tab which made it loose in the corner,so I bought another one and painted
it satin black. I like the 69 emblem but didn't want to put them on the truck
quarters so I put one on the dash pad. Now on to finishing the carpet install.
Russ
CIMG4955.JPG

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi all. Drove her this past weekend amd put her away, but, I'm accumulating parts.
I have Bilstein front shocks, front plate holder and black door sills from DixieRestoration. Also a bitching SuperSport dash plaque. Just gotta find the time.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I spent the past five hours FINALLY dialing in my carburetor. MJ 467 with a Holley 770 Street Avenger.

I’d played with it previously but never really spent the trial-and-error time of changing jets and noting vacuum readings while cruising. I had been running two numbers smaller than stock all the way around based on last years quick-and-dirty testing. But today was 65° and the perfect day for it. Quite unexpectedly I ended up right back to Holley’s stock jetting for the best results. I did have to increase the accelerator pump discharge nozzle from a #31 to a #35 to get rid of a slight hesitation when mashing the throttle. Now I’m one step closer to completely talking myself out of an FI system. Tomorrow mornings cold start will be the final determining factor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
@any4xx, Obviously you’re a carb guy. Q: I’m running 750 Holley, mechanical fuel pump. 350. I have to down shift, (built 400), if I mash the gas.

If I don’t down shift, she bogs and hesitates...like fuel starvation.

I’ve been told to run an electric pump to assist the mech pump. Any suggestions? Thxs.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Fuel pump won’t change a thing unless the mechanical pump is so weak that it barely fills the bowls. In that case though, the car would cut out under cruise at higher speeds. Your problem is most likely with the accelerator pump. Either the diaphragm is bad or the squirter is too big/small.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Installed Belltech drop spindles and rear drop coils. Added some new Bilstein fronts shocks too. Given how shot the old Monroe shocks were in the front, anything would have been better, but the Bilstein's are tight. I dropped it 2 inches and had to make some minor modifications to the plastic inner fenders because Im running 18's. Probably need new stiffer front springs, but I'll save that for another month. Love it so far.

·
Registered
53 Posts
@any4xx, Obviously you’re a carb guy. Q: I’m running 750 Holley, mechanical fuel pump. 350. I have to down shift, (built 400), if I mash the gas.

If I don’t down shift, she bogs and hesitates...like fuel starvation.

I’ve been told to run an electric pump to assist the mech pump. Any suggestions? Thxs.
The way I understand it, mashing the gas opens the butterflys causing a momentary very lean condition. The accelerator pump(s) are there to provide fuel until the jets can catch up. Hesitation or Stumble = increase squirter size, Go then fall in rpm (struggling) = decrease squirter size. A stock 30cc accelerator pump should handle your motor IF the lever spring is adjusted correctly. I'm going through this issue right now... hope this qualifies for this thread!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
This week, got the car jacked up and pulled the front wheels for it annual inspection and grease job. I noticed the little knotch in the spindle washer that goes between the outer bearing and the nut was missing its little notch that holds it in place. Sure enough it was spinning with the hub. From time to time the car would pull to the right and that wheels would make a weird squeaking sound, I hope I found it.
I greased everything and adjusted the bearings by tightening them up so the wheel barely backing off, and getting it the perfect hole. The one that lets the wheels spin freely and yet has no side to side or up and down play..

In Pennsylvania, we have Antique plates that do not require an inspection sticker but the owner is obligated to inspect the car and have it in tip top running condition..

4181 - 4200 of 4499 Posts