El Camino Central Forum banner

4201 - 4220 of 4244 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
This week, got the car jacked up and pulled the front wheels for it annual inspection and grease job. I noticed the little knotch in the spindle washer that goes between the outer bearing and the nut was missing its little notch that holds it in place. Sure enough it was spinning with the hub. From time to time the car would pull to the right and that wheels would make a weird squeaking sound, I hope I found it.
I greased everything and adjusted the bearings by tightening them up so the wheel barely backing off, and getting it the perfect hole. The one that lets the wheels spin freely and yet has no side to side or up and down play..

In Pennsylvania, we have Antique plates that do not require an inspection sticker but the owner is obligated to inspect the car and have it in tip top running condition..

View attachment 127668
Glad you found it, scary stuff. I know you still have the castle nut and cotter pin, but this has to help you sleep better. It would me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
pretty sure i found why i haven't been able to get the starter working lately and why starter may have seemed a bit sluggish for last 2 years. got bad connections at both battery and starter. i don't even know how i was starting it with how easy i was able to get the starter wire out of the connector. definitely seems like whoever built the thing was using 4 gauge connectors on 1 or 2 gauge wire. also noticed trans is leaking trans fluid. may have to try cleaning it up in the spring to maybe figure out if the leak is worth fixing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well we swapped out the 16 year old plugs and wires set the carburetor and timing by ear. It starts with just a bump of the starter and sounds great. It was a little low on oil so nothing but the best..what I had on hand.. for this ol elky??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Glad you found it, scary stuff. I know you still have the castle nut and cotter pin, but this has to help you sleep better. It would me.
I put my car up every winter and check it out. I pull the front hubs apart and grease the whole car. My car has control arms with Delrin bushings that need greased every year.. I think about getting an electric grease gun.. haha

·
Premium Member
7,662 Posts
I started my 78 today. The battery was low again. After charging it started fine. I need to get some time to check out my electrical system and work on finish wiring cruise control system.

·
Registered
245 Posts
got the starter positive starter lug replaced and everything re-assembled. still need to replace the battery lugs but was able to get it fired up for the first time in 2+ months. definitely sounds like it could use a good run down the road but it may have to wait another couple months for that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tiny cleaned up the air cleaner lid with some fine steel wool and wd40 ?
He also swapped out the lower radiator hose from the donor elky. Also grabbed a new air filter element and swapped it in place of the crusty 16 year old air filter .
We may start pulling the drivetrain out of the donor elky depending on the weather. ??

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
95* and sunny
!!too dang hot!! i do know that.
just got done taking out my 8in subs and putting one 10in sub. bought the 8in because they fit in the smugglers box but they were cheaper pyles and did not last long. put only one 10in back in behind passengers side and it is enuf for now(actually too hot to pull both seats out today).had to do it while wifee was asleep cause i just had a heart-attack on the 31st and she is making me take it easy till i see doc again next week

ron
I am still new to this forum, but I hope that these last eight and a half years have been a good time of health and healing for you.
I.m on break from extra physical labor for a few weeks. Enrolled on my first website forum ,this 1. Been trying to help a few people out with knowledge that I can't take with me when I die. Should of done this sooner. This is also my excuse to learn to type. Saving up energy to finish my hood electrically lifting over my windshield,remote controlled, etc.㊙
I'm more than eight years late here, but if you find someone who designs convertible top linkages, you can make it go up and over the roof to be totally out of your way. Remote electric hood opener, cool idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After a gazillion attempts of getting my new smuggler's box curtain "just right", I finally have it done!
I had to end up using my trusty hot glue gun to attach it along the top rail because I can't find snaps to fit the originals. I attached it along the bottom and sides with velcro to keep it from flapping in the wind while driving with the windows down-should've used a heavier material.
All in all, I'm happy with it.

Smuggler's curtain 1.0 version 2.0 will be twice as good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine did that to me yesterday too, the problem is I don't think that starter is a year old yet????:dontknow:
I'll be starting a new post in electrical!!!
Donny
  • Hello guys, I still new to ECC, and I know this is about 8 1/2 years late, but I had the same problem for a while. I added a thermal wrap which helped quite a bit, although I still occasionally have the same problem. My solution will be to 1) install a new mini starter, 2) add a heat shield, and 3) put a new fresh thermal wrap on it. Items # 1 and 2 have already been purchased, I am waiting for the weather to get better and the ambition to pull the passenger header off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Score!!

Went out to the local bone yard, LKQ, I was looking for a disk brake set up and ended up finding a 81 El Camino, took some small parts off of it, to enclude the trim below the rear window that was in great shape, cost $4.99, found a 85 Grand Prix and got the rear sway bar off of it, cost $14.99. Also got the fender to raditior braces for $5.00. The window wiper motor w/delay $5.00. Never did find the disk brakes I was looking for, but it was a good day!!
It's always fun to find some of the things you need while you're looking for something else. My local wrecking yards have online lists of vehicles in inventory, so I only go when I see the vehicles I want parts from., and so I sometimes miss out on the fun of just exploring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I finally have the engine situated. In my last photo, I showed the Edelbrock manifold, the Holley carburetor and the new (and apparently cheap) bowtie valve covers.

I was still having problems with idle (and probably always will with the low torque cam), and a bit of oil leaking. There was also an exhaust gasket that was coming apart, so I had a leak and some popping here and there. I decided to go for it, and had headers put on. In the course of that, we found that those new valve covers were warped, so we got some better aluminum ones.

The summary of what I did to my 267 is:
Edelbrock 2101 performance manifold
Holley 0-8007 390cfm 4 bbl carburetor
Summit low torque cam (w/lifters)
New valve covers (again)
New distributor
New spark plug wires and NGK hotter burning plugs
Flowmaster headers (and we went with the copper gasket and locking nuts)

My power and mileage both seem better. I also decided to put a new steering wheel on (what a pain...I don't know that I'd recommend Forever Sharp products again)
El_Camino_Engine_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,662 Posts
I spliced a grey wire on the cruise control system, so it runs form the control panel into the cab. Now I need to figure out what the end connects to.

4201 - 4220 of 4244 Posts