El Camino Central Forum banner

4461 - 4480 of 4496 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I got a track day set for 11 July with the el Camino. It’s at Eagle Canyon Raceway. Should be loads of fun. Averaging 19-22 mpg atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

New brakes and wheels too.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

New engine is finally broken in. Changing rear end gears for 3.23 from 3.73 next

Reactions: pitts64

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I started mine again today and backed it off the ramps. I couldn't get to the street,too many people here and cars in the neighborhood.
We love
We live out in the country.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Finished my FPR install by fabricating a stainless steel bracket, an re-positioned the pressure gauge so it is easily read from the front.
FPG 90 (2).JPG FPG 90 (3).JPG
Still need to clean/rebuild my Edelbrock carb.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Finished my FPR install by fabricating a stainless steel bracket, an re-positioned the pressure gauge so it is easily read from the front.
View attachment 130663 View attachment 130664
Still need to clean/rebuild my Edelbrock carb.
Hoping to have mine that clean paint and all by next February. For now I am tuning the suspension on a race track, Eagle Canyon, here in Texas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just went and bought a used 350 SBC 4 bolt main long block for a new engine build to replace the original 305. Bring on the horsepower! (and the credit card bills) Summitt, Jegs, and Pace will be my friends in the coming months. :nanawrench:

Next, I need to replace the u-joints, as they're clanking and clunking and need to be replaced yesterday!
Go to racingjunk.com You can find all kinds of deals, if you want horsepower and dont want to spend a mint.. Lots of good used racing stuff

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
View attachment 130602

View attachment 130604

as you can see from the pics, I have no tachometer but the computer traces are there for the circuit. would it be possible to install a used original there? Mike's Monties sells them for about $90. Given a choice, would I WANT to install a used original there? or install something else, somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
View attachment 130602

View attachment 130604

as you can see from the pics, I have no tachometer but the computer traces are there for the circuit. would it be possible to install a used original there? Mike's Monties sells them for about $90. Given a choice, would I WANT to install a used original there? or install something else, somewhere else?
A used original is what I have from mikes montes and I love it. Also got my 140 mph speedometer there.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I noticed my car was favoring the right side of the road. When I would let my hands off the wheel, it would eventually drift right.Sometimes it did it very quickly..
I switched front tires side to side and like magic no more favoring the right.
I thought it might be the road being curved to the right for rain drainage but the static alignment settings should of taken care of this..

My car has an updated front and rear suspension. SC&C Stage 3, Hellwig front sway bar and Lee 14:1 800 Series steering box up front.
Spohn Del Sphere fully adjustable rear control arms in the rear, no rear sway bar..
So many times I'm on my own with these issues..

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I noticed my car was favoring the right side of the road. When I would let my hands off the wheel, it would eventually drift right.Sometimes it did it very quickly..
I switched front tires side to side and like magic no more favoring the right.
I thought it might be the road being curved to the right for rain drainage but the static alignment settings should of taken care of this..

My car has an updated front and rear suspension. SC&C Stage 3, Hellwig front sway bar and Lee 14:1 800 Series steering box up front.
Spohn Del Sphere fully adjustable rear control arms in the rear, no rear sway bar..
So many times I'm on my own with these issues..
It seems like every time I try to use a local speciality shop they break 3 other things and the bill is $3k or more.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Took a cruise to the wrecking yard and came home with an AC dashboard, AC airbox, pulse wiper motor, and rear bumper with tow hitch, all from an '81 El Camino.
The dash includes all of the ducting, and wiring harness to the firewall.
20200628_145123.jpg

I will still need the instrument cluster, but I can use my existing glovebox cover, and the filler panel under the steering wheel.
The airbox is also in very good shape, though one of the plumbing pipes are crushed and cut. I have a second airbox that I picked up a month ago that has good plumbing parts. The airbox also included a wiring harness, part of which I will delete because it is for the '81 ecm, where as my '78 is non-computer.
20200628_145520.jpg

The donor vehicle also had pulse wipers, so I got the wiper motor.
20200628_145408.jpg

The last thing I got from this vehicle was the rear bumper with included trailer hitch (pretty good tail lights too).
20200628_145321.jpg

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
found an axle from an early 80's Pontiac LeMans on Craigslist. he said it was an '85 but they stopped making them before that. I don't recognize the axle code (2A A C309 2) so I'll have to dig a little bit. interestingly, it already has a rear anti-sway installed. Actually seems to be in good shape but I figure I'll rebuild it the way I want with new bushings and ring gear. for $110, I figure can't go too wrong

UPDATE:
found this webpage , www.gnttype.org/numbers/axcodes.html

assuming the info is correct, and that it corresponds, this rear axle is a 2.56:1 , Chevy axle, built ~Nov 4 on the night-shift, and apparently came from a 82/83 Diesel High Altitude

TransEngineRatioPegLegLtd SlipStd/Opt
MV4/350C
MV2/350C​
4.3 (LT6)
Diesel​
2.41​
2AJ​
2BJ​
STD​
2.56​
2AA​
2BA​
Hi Alt STD​

the other possibility would be from an 86/87 305
TransEngineRatioPegLegLtd SlipRPO Code
200-4R
200C​
5.0 (LV2) Y​
2.56​
2AA​
2BA​
GM8​

but since I got this from a guy who got it from his boss 4 yrs ago at the autobody shop, and this guy says it was an '85 Pontiac LeMans (which don't exist)

original axle in mine has a 2AY code that does not show on this webpage but has been confirmed as a 2.56:1, so I'm confident in what I got (which is not a goldmine 3.27 :-( )

4461 - 4480 of 4496 Posts