El Camino Central Forum banner

4521 - 4540 of 4551 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Try the plumbing section of a hardware store ace hardware has one I bet
Possibly NAPA auto parts as well. Another option is a semi truck dealer or maintenance shop. What I did was to get the type that locks the tube in just by inserting it, they have a push button end to release if/when needed. They cost about 5-6 dollars each, but are so easy to use/reuse.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Working on car audio Alot as a kid, I got very familiar with the old fashioned wire coat hanger. Probably the most useful tool ever invented for pushing/pulling wires through a car firewall, under carpets, through grommets or even trim that didn't require or was too much of an issue to remove.

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
I took the 78 for a test drive. The turn signal stalk right at the steering column. Working on that, trying to get a replacement. Mine has the Rostra turn signal handle bolted to it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
did a back flush on the cooling system. had only water in it, warmed it up a little, then discon'd lower hose to drain radiator and block, came out dark greenish-brown.
removed t-stat, didn't look horrible, stuck garden hose in neck and backflush until clear. discon'd the heater hoses and ran those backwards too (I actually replaced that a few years ago so it wasn't that bad). repeat process on the radiator, then fill it all back up with water to sit for another week. next visit will involve adding Radiator Flush for a final (hopefully) flush.

also took my gauge cluster housing to fellow member Dogbunny who repaired a couple broken pieces where clips attach and imparted some wisdom about which paint product to use for backlighting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ooh. Went to Hobby Lobby today, to get some Testors to paint the back of the housing. No white, not flat nor gloss. No silver, no light blue, no chrome, no nothing. Figures Covid would have everyone who ever wanted to paint a model quarantined. Found 1 bottle of steel metallic gloss stuffed halfway down a line of medium camo brown flat. Hope it works.

Cheers to the kid who never puts stuff back where they got it from!

Tomorrow, tear apart the dash...

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
I took the 78 for another test drive. I went through the school zone where there i a speed sensor on the speed limit sign. At 25 it was doing 23. I went a little further I got it up to 35 , then tested the cruise control system and it worked. Went a little further then got it up to 45 and the cruise control worked fine. It felt good that it's working. Thanks JJ and every one for your help.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
pulling bolts from my donor vehicle, '85 Cutlass Supreme

already had the two at rear of fender, and wheelwell done. needed help with others and, man, were they a pain

two at the end of each frame horn came out realatively easy with friends help
the two under each fender just would spin around. ended up taking the doors off (which we would have to do anyway) just so we could see in there ... well, THERE's our problem! the speednut clip has rusted in half and we just couldn't get it pinned down to thread out.

solution? bolt, meet die grinder!

as soon as THAT is taken care of, then I can start tracing the wiring harness to remove the front clip. why? because the front fenders have those little blinker indicator lights and I want those!
any advice from someone on that wiring harness, whether I can plug it into mine or will I have to pull the whole harness and transplant?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tore apart the dash today, painted the back of the housing and a bunch of the inside next to the bulbs, which all got replaced with upgrade bulbs. Added a metal bracket that finally showed up for the headlight switch, the old plastic one was held in/together by black zipties. Oof, I can see the dash again!

Finally got time to get busy on the OPGI rear swaybar. Kinda disappointed in that whole thing. Shipped in a busted box with zero padding or wrapping, whole thing is scuffed and a few spots of chipped paint. The tips are kinda krusty, like it was pulled from a muddy vehicle and painted over, no wash, no sand, nothing nice and smooth. Holes look like they were cut with a plasma torch, just plain seriously ugly all around. They did supply 4x each 7/16x20x2.75 gr8 bolts and locknuts and washers, but I doubt those were real gr8 bolts as they stripped/broke threads just pushing them though the trailing arm and into the swaybar holes which needed to be widened as they would only fit a 3/8 bolt, not the supplied 7/16.

Go figure nobody had gr8 7/16x20 anything, finally found gr8 7/16x14x2.75 and matching locknuts at Tractor Supply and tossed everything else.

·
Registered
260 Posts

already had the two at rear of fender, and wheel well done. needed help with others and, man, were they a pain

two at the end of each frame horn came out relatively easy with friends help
the two under each fender just would spin around. ended up taking the doors off (which we would have to do anyway) just so we could see in there ... well, THERE's our problem! the speednut clip has rusted in half and we just couldn't get it pinned down to thread out.

as soon as THAT is taken care of, then I can start tracing the wiring harness to remove the front clip. why? because the front fenders have those little blinker indicator lights and I want those!
any advice from someone on that wiring harness, whether I can plug it into mine or will I have to pull the whole harness and transplant?
I am also in the process of getting a dash ready for installation into my '78 Caballero. Mine is a conversion from heat only, to a factory type AC system. Last weekend, I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled two-into-one AC airboxes. This weekend, I am prepping the AC dashboard. First airbox was from a '78 Cutlass, the second airbox and the dashboard are from an '81 El Camino. The EC had intermittent wipers, so I took the wiring harness from both sides of the firewall. Curiosity had me checking out the firewall junction block yesterday. It looks like many will interchange easily if they are similarly equipped vehicles. My Haynes repair manual helped a great deal while I was identifying and repairing damaged wiring. There are many unused spaces in the junction block as well, in case you are the type like me that wants to add extra circuits without drilling holes in the firewall, or you just need to match an existing half to a donor half.
Since your donor vehicle is an '85, I assume your EC is a 5th gen. Should be an easy fix, at worst. A thread on gbodyforum.com entitled "Fabricating New Harness from C100 Bulkhead Connector to Engine, A/C, Etc." under the Electrical/Ignition/Starting sub-category of G-Body Tech Forums is a good read, though may not actually answer your question.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts

I installed new Monte Carlo style mirrors and love them. This is a custom adjustment point I made on my custom center console. I am almost ready to start the fiberglass work up for the center console. Is anyone interested in copies? Just asking to see if it’s worth making multiples. I will have a mold created and might put these up on eBay if there is enough interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
387 Posts

Front views.

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Premium Member
387 Posts

This is the layout. I will post mold pictures and finished product pictures once I have that stage complete. Finish will look like black factory dash and be paintable for any color interior. Gen 5 only. Real wood inlays and side floor vents for ac bi level/floor heat. A lighter can be installed as well as USB ports and it will support current touch screen audio units.

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Premium Member
387 Posts

From Eagle Canyon Raceway. This is the grid before launching for track.

·
Registered
260 Posts

already had the two at rear of fender, and wheelwell done. needed help with others and, man, were they a pain

two at the end of each frame horn came out realatively easy with friends help

Hey Ray, here are a couple of pics of the firewall junction block vacancies. I would guess that different years, models, and accessories, may be slightly different, but the contacts should be easy to move, or add to, to connect to a donor harness.
20200726_142104.jpg
20200726_142557.jpg
20200726_203120.jpg

·
Registered
260 Posts

Front views.

Rj143, I see on the photo in your Eagle Raceway sticker post, you had the bullet sport mirrors. I like the looks of the MC mirrors as well. I have a set of MC mirrors that I want to convert to electric, and install on my '78. Did you use the original mount holes for the sport mirrors, or did you move them forward to '86-87 location? If you moved them, did you have any difficulty getting the holes correctly placed and the nuts tightened?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Rj143, I see on the photo in your Eagle Raceway sticker post, you had the bullet sport mirrors. I like the looks of the MC mirrors as well. I have a set of MC mirrors that I want to convert to electric, and install on my '78. Did you use the original mount holes for the sport mirrors, or did you move them forward to '86-87 location? If you moved them, did you have any difficulty getting the holes correctly placed and the nuts tightened?
I used the same holes. The driver’s side is set perfectly, however, the passenger side requires a mounting adjustment. It sits a bit lower than I like in the factory holes. I also had to drill a hole for the passenger side mirror cables.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Last weekend, I pulled the dash, vents, and airbox out. Heat only, you've been faithful, but AC, welcome to Caballero.
Didn't finish, in fact, I have been working on it this weekend as well. Still not finished, but I have the AC dash in and a lot of the connections made.
20200809_201814.jpg
20200809_201851.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently added a hood relief to accommodate the Edelbrock intake and while at Bike Week I had pinstripe wrapped around the car and against my better judgment a little Old School scroll on the hood. Which is quite dirty right now as you can see.It'seady growing on me.

4521 - 4540 of 4551 Posts