El Camino Central Forum banner

4541 - 4552 of 4552 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Washed the Elkie; hey look, the camper top is actually white under all that grunge!

And the paint doesn't look that bad once you wash it (but I'll still be selling the front clip and doors eventually)

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I've been having this issue with the 454 in my 69 elco. When I floor it it shuts down, goes, stops, goes.. I thought it was fuel so I sleeved 3/8" tubing at every bend so the hose can't collapse during high speed runs when the fuel pump is pulling like crazy.. Nothing seemed to work. I had the hood open and noticed the wire going into the HEI tach plug, it sends a signal to the shift light. This is a cheap Chinese $10 shift light. I unplugged it and the car seemed to go up the driveway better while pulling out. I took it to my safe spot and dropped the hammer and walla!! The front end jumped up and away we went, no bogging , no stumble...

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I've been having this issue with the 454 in my 69 elco. When I floor it it shuts down, goes, stops, goes.. I thought it was fuel so I sleeved 3/8" tubing at every bend so the hose can't collapse during high speed runs when the fuel pump is pulling like crazy.. Nothing seemed to work. I had the hood open and noticed the wire going into the HEI tach plug, it sends a signal to the shift light. This is a cheap Chinese $10 shift light. I unplugged it and the car seemed to go up the driveway better while pulling out. I took it to my safe spot and dropped the hammer and walla!! The front end jumped up and away we went, no bogging , no stumble...

View attachment 131905
Gotta love those random electrical (electronic?) issues. Glad you found the fix.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I've been having this issue with the 454 in my 69 elco. When I floor it ....
Started reading this and thought you were going to pull a Keyser.

"Dear Keyser, when I drop the hammer and floor it..." ___ "...I can't shred tires. What do I do?"
"Dear Pitts64, first you need more power. The first step here is to paint it Chevy Orange. That's a guaranteed tire shredder right there. If it's still not enough for you, then you need to step up to the biggest tallest hood scoop you can find so you can get unimpeded air flow; 3-4 feet tall should do it. As RedGreen says, if it's not past your roofline, you just don't want it that bad!"

·
Registered
110 Posts
Doing some yard renovation at the wife's request. So the driveway is full of rock and railroad ties. After a spin around the block in the '87, found myself at the back of the driveway. Ehh no biggie. Then it rained. And rained. And rained some more. Found out (to my chagrin) because of the bedliner, the bed is water tight. All the way up to the rails. The grandkids figured that out too. So I spent the day watching them climb in/out of what they nicknamed the 'redneck swimming pool'. Surprisingly enough, also found out the cheapo airshocks that are still on it will absolutely hold the weight of a full bed of water and 3 energetic youngsters.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Started reading this and thought you were going to pull a Keyser.

"Dear Keyser, when I drop the hammer and floor it..." ___ "...I can't shred tires. What do I do?"
"Dear Pitts64, first you need more power. The first step here is to paint it Chevy Orange. That's a guaranteed tire shredder right there. If it's still not enough for you, then you need to step up to the biggest tallest hood scoop you can find so you can get unimpeded air flow; 3-4 feet tall should do it. As RedGreen says, if it's not past your roofline, you just don't want it that bad!"
So its the Orange paint that gives you 100 horses!! Silly me thought it was those STP stickers..LOL

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
So its the Orange paint that gives you 100 horses!! Silly me thought it was those STP stickers..LOL
if Keyser was here, he'd set you straight! takes more than just an STP sticker. you need ALL THE STICKERS, the Crane Cams, STP, Holley, Thrush, Doug's Headers, etc. STP alone won't cut it! (of course, he also thinks chevy orange paint will make you handsome and win you new friends, but I digress)

now, if you're driving an asian racer, aka a 'ricer', then these stickers won't do anything for you. those stickers have to be BIG, YELLOW, in Kanji, and cover over half your fenders or hood to get that extra power.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I saw one of Kanji Ricers today. Had dual pipes that looked like they belonged on a Turbo Diesel. Sad part was it was all show and no 'go' because the Titan powered work van I drive laughed at him from the line, at the 30,60,90mph marks too.

Guess his yellow Kanji wasn't big enough, or all the Hello Kitty decals across the rear window were dragging him down.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
[QUOTE="Karadjgne, post: 2532477, member: 92579"
Guess his yellow Kanji wasn't big enough, or all the Hello Kitty decals across the rear window were dragging him down.
[/QUOTE]
Hello Kitty didn't work? don't tell Done Deal Donnie!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Doing some yard renovation at the wife's request. So the driveway is full of rock and railroad ties. After a spin around the block in the '87, found myself at the back of the driveway. Ehh no biggie. Then it rained. And rained. And rained some more. Found out (to my chagrin) because of the bedliner, the bed is water tight. All the way up to the rails. The grandkids figured that out too. So I spent the day watching them climb in/out of what they nicknamed the 'redneck swimming pool'. Surprisingly enough, also found out the cheapo airshocks that are still on it will absolutely hold the weight of a full bed of water and 3 energetic youngsters.

NICE!!!!

4541 - 4552 of 4552 Posts