El Camino Central Forum banner

4561 - 4580 of 4593 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
was it as exciting as they say? :unsure: (is that a redundancy? "watching paint dry is as exciting as watching paint dry")

I'd keep it, looks to be straight and in good shape otherwise and you can use it for repair practice.
Yeah, it's actually not bad, just cracked and looking horrible. I've drilled a couple of holes in it, and the opening for the e-brake handle is oversize, but otherwise reworkable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dropped the tank to trace low fuel rail pressure. Found the hose had pulled off the feed line from the pump moving around. Reassembled with new hose and some Fuel Injection clamps. Voila!!! She's turning and burning again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Changed out the starter today, old one was grinding something fierce. Turned out the nose piece was cracked from tip to longbolt, so was allowing shaft flex, resulting in some serious chatter.

What sux is the sticker on the topside said "New", but other than a 'triple tested' sticker, that was it. No idea where it came from, just knew where it went. O'Reilly auto, swapped for a refurb Ultima and lifetime warranty.

Sometimes it pays off to live in a small 'hick' town, the autoparts stores stock a bunch of stuff for older pickups/cars and not all the new fangled stuff. Wife wanted to get the starter while she was in the city, 10 auto stores later and all of them required having it shipped. Crazy.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Changed out the starter today, old one was grinding something fierce. Turned out the nose piece was cracked from tip to longbolt, so was allowing shaft flex, resulting in some serious chatter.

What sux is the sticker on the topside said "New", but other than a 'triple tested' sticker, that was it. No idea where it came from, just knew where it went. O'Reilly auto, swapped for a refurb Ultima and lifetime warranty.

Sometimes it pays off to live in a small 'hick' town, the autoparts stores stock a bunch of stuff for older pickups/cars and not all the new fangled stuff. Wife wanted to get the starter while she was in the city, 10 auto stores later and all of them required having it shipped. Crazy.
you live in Portland, would you rather it actually be named "Hicksville"? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thursday evening I was home from work early enough to bolt the dash back into the Caballero, with enough time to hook up the vent control cable, and several electrical plugs and connections.
20200903_184655.jpg
20200903_184746.jpg

Friday evening, just relaxed and did nothing but read, watch a little TV.
Today, did some clearancing in the instrument panel bucket to make the installation of the gauge panel and faceplate easier with less chance of crushed or pinched wires, made some more under dash connections, installed the cruise control cancellation switch on the brake pedal. I don't have cruise control, but I do have a plan for that switch, which I will explain at a future time when I hook to it. Made a few other wiring connections, then installed the instrument cluster. I connected the battery to begin checking electrical accessories such as the lights and wipers. Wipers were acting oddly, then I realized that the battery was nearly dead, so it will be spending the night on the charger. Hopefully, they will work much better when the battery has a full charge.
Plan for tomorrow, only spend a couple of minutes on the wipers to see if they work better with a full battery charge, bolt the steering column back in place, install under column panel and vent, mount junction block for, and connect, power window and door lock wiring, install stereo, see if old glove box from heat only dash will work with AC airbox.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Working on the 2002 lq9 6.0 motor mounts tonight for the 65. spent some hard earned dollars on these cheapos theY look sweet got some solid motor mounts some where to complete the set up. I’ll be disassembling the accessories to clean and paint motor And engine bay. First time doing a ls swap depinned oe harness, nightmare 3 day job with No electrical experience only rf knowledge. used Silverado fuel pump from autozone. With every thing hooked up battery ecu coustem 3 day moded harness thanks and shout out to www.ltswap.com And the YouTube Chanel that changed the game for me “the drive way engineer” watch him he’s bad ass.i fired it up on build stand with cherry picker and chain supporting it and my kick ass Moma holding the garden hose fired it up In her garage and it’s a runner Any ways Lott’s of $$$ later got it to run Now it’s going in. Know nothing about ls stuff so I’ll be asking questions and posting as I go. I’ve spent the last year building my daughters 66 c10 I’ll post pics. So what I did today.... mocked up motor mounts any info about these or this swap into a 65 is appreciated. Only got ls to idle and that’s it fell on its face when I tried to rev it but idled sweat. I know it’s a runner so I’m stuffing it in there. Not sure why wouldn’t stay running but that’s another time and post. Thanks for listening.
83049358-BA7B-43DB-880F-290EAA6A9456.jpeg
2040494A-6D71-407F-80F8-B396B33E4180.jpeg
2AC932BD-219F-4473-867E-72CE9FB1DF51.jpeg
BDDDA31E-09EE-4ADD-8C73-0D5392C0C130.jpeg

-hoopty-
D6B00A32-5148-426C-84BF-C82901340215.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Didn't get all of the things done yesterday that I wanted to, but they are done today. Tucked away more wiring and left the under column panel off until this afternoon, I realized how much easier it was to access under the dash with that panel off, plus the glovebox, and stereo were still out as well. That allowed me to route the wiring for the power windows, door locks,and speakers, to a relocated junction block. After that was finished and the panel, glovebox, and stereo were installed, I tested some more accessories and found that the AC/heater blower was not working, so I will have to address that soon. What I found out yesterday was that the wiper switch had the dark green wire to the delay missing, so I soldered one on the back of the switch and routed it down to the footwell for future routing out to the wiper motor. The best news of the day was that I started the car and ran the engine for a few minutes. The only problems I found, was that the oil pressure gauge was reading near 40#, while the oil warning light stayed lit, and the new mini starter that I installed needs a shim. I will be looking into solving both of those next weekend. Here are some pics of the dashboard fully installed.
First two, driver's eye view.
20200907_183922.jpg
20200907_184014.jpg

Next two, the bigger picture.
20200907_184207.jpg

20200907_184246.jpg

My interior was black, so I painted the dash last week, and I painted the old glove box cover to be clean and match to the dash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Working on the 2002 lq9 6.0 motor mounts tonight for the 65. spent some hard earned dollars on these cheapos theY look sweet got some solid motor mounts some where to complete the set up. I’ll be disassembling the accessories to clean and paint motor And engine bay. First time doing a ls swap depinned oe harness, nightmare 3 day job with No electrical experience only rf knowledge. used Silverado fuel pump from autozone. With every thing hooked up battery ecu coustem 3 day moded harness thanks and shout out to www.ltswap.com And the YouTube Chanel that changed the game for me “the drive way engineer” watch him he’s bad ass.i fired it up on build stand with cherry picker and chain supporting it and my kick ass Moma holding the garden hose fired it up In her garage and it’s a runner Any ways Lott’s of $$$ later got it to run Now it’s going in. Know nothing about ls stuff so I’ll be asking questions and posting as I go. I’ve spent the last year building my daughters 66 c10 I’ll post pics. So what I did today.... mocked up motor mounts any info about these or this swap into a 65 is appreciated. Only got ls to idle and that’s it fell on its face when I tried to rev it but idled sweat. I know it’s a runner so I’m stuffing it in there. Not sure why wouldn’t stay running but that’s another time and post. Thanks for listening.

-hoopty-
Lots of work there.....you'll be happy in the end. Great to see another 65 getting ready for the road. An LS swap isn't for the electronically challenged......but worth it in the long run. I recruited help doing a 09 4.8 in my 65..... glad I did, saved me a ton of head bangin'. That 02 shouldn't be nearly as bad......and we'll be able to feel your grins from here when it's done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Drove to Tombstone last week...... she's parked just off Allen Street close to my favorite cigar shop. Spend a lot of time there hanging with the cowboys. Great place to visit.....pic was taken early...before the tourist crowd woke up. Something about this place kinda gets into your blood..... I usually ride the motorcycle down, but wanted to shake down some things on the elco this day.

Reactions: The mechanic

·
Registered
324 Posts
Found the reason why my oil warning light is lit when I have nearly 40# pressure, I had mistakenly assumed that the power went to the switch first, and then to the warning light. Warning light power starts at the instrument cluster, goes through the warning lights, to their respective switches, and then to ground.
What this means for me, is that I must remove the cluster again and rewire the oil and temp warning lights. I may have the chance to do that tomorrow. I am taking the day off work to see my dentist in the morning, and then take my wife to her doctor's appointment at 1pm, giving me the opportunity to rework the warning light wiring before retiring for the evening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice looking dyno sheet right there....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lots of work there.....you'll be happy in the end. Great to see another 65 getting ready for the road. An LS swap isn't for the electronically challenged......but worth it in the long run. I recruited help doing a 09 4.8 in my 65..... glad I did, saved me a ton of head bangin'. That 02 shouldn't be nearly as bad......and we'll be able to feel your grins from here when it's done.
Thanks for the pep talk, it’s needed. Love this site and people are legit I’m looking forward to the challenge something about tearing into **** is therapeutic I’m not working right now so I’ll be posting daily here words of wisdom are always appreciated. My pops baught me one of these in high school it was sick like the white one just posted. So I’m building a tribute car in his honor. Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tearing into floor pans and added the rally wheels tire shop threw a away my iroc rims on accident. Couldn’t be happier, thay ended up giving me these sweat rally rims with brand new tires. Well three of them anyways. I asked all my buddy’s and and check this out my ford buddy had one. Turns out it was a corvette style showed my other buddy and he crawls under the house and drags out the 4th brother to my set...sick. He even did a even trade. I’m stylin. Also traded him some tires I had for four dog dish center caps corvette style I’m happy like a kid on xmass. 5B458BAC-6843-41B2-BB1D-1285AB472ABA.jpeg D6E71512-94CB-4C70-8D32-8BCBBEA9C950.jpeg 5B458BAC-6843-41B2-BB1D-1285AB472ABA.jpeg 5B458BAC-6843-41B2-BB1D-1285AB472ABA.jpeg 4D119113-448E-4CE0-80D3-D5AC7F240ECC.jpeg 537F103B-25EC-4F67-9015-3A8712B9C67E.jpeg 537F103B-25EC-4F67-9015-3A8712B9C67E.jpeg AED93D86-F832-4AE0-B9A6-D724A8AF0F7E.jpeg

Attachments

4561 - 4580 of 4593 Posts