El Camino Central Forum banner

4581 - 4593 of 4593 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Finished the AC dash conversion, cleaned up the tools, drove it to the gas station and filled it up. Plan on driving it to work tomorrow.
Still need to install under hood components: compressor, condenser, hoses, etc. Most of those parts are in the garage waiting for installation.

·
Registered
285 Posts
had the ignition switch on my elcamino break today. luckily it broke in a way that i can still use it till i get a new one hopefully tomorrow. key still turns to the run position but won't turn to the start position. i just have to pop the hood and manual bump the starter.

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Registered
324 Posts
had the ignition switch on my elcamino break today. luckily it broke in a way that i can still use it till i get a new one hopefully tomorrow. key still turns to the run position but won't turn to the start position. i just have to pop the hood and manual bump the starter.
I put a momentary-on push button switch in my engine bay 3yrs ago at the same time that I did my engine swap. Would be perfect for your situation. I did it for the purpose of bumping the starter while servicing the engine.

·
Premium Member
8,318 Posts
I took my battery back and got a replacement under warranty. I installed it in the 78 tonight and started it. It turned over for a while to get gas to the carburetor, then ran fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I put a momentary-on push button switch in my engine bay 3yrs ago at the same time that I did my engine swap. Would be perfect for your situation. I did it for the purpose of bumping the starter while servicing the engine.
i don't spend enough time under the hood to need one and there really isn't anywhere to mount one. i just replaced the lock cylinder and it solved the issue except now i can no longer pull the key out of the ignition once it is running lol. also i think the new cylinder may be cheaper made or my cylinder housing is really just wore out because it feels like the new cylinder pulls out of the column more than it use to with the other cylinder.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I watched my baby back my Baby out of the driveway while her mother gave her a driving lesson. Wife said 'take your pick, the Charger R/T which does 0-60 in 5 seconds flat and has over 400HP, or Blu' (which has south of 130Hp and a carb that chokes under WOT). I get the feeling that hesitation is gonna cost me somewhere down the road...

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I watched my baby back my Baby out of the driveway while her mother gave her a driving lesson. Wife said 'take your pick, the Charger R/T which does 0-60 in 5 seconds flat and has over 400HP, or Blu' (which has south of 130Hp and a carb that chokes under WOT). I get the feeling that hesitation is gonna cost me somewhere down the road...
but does she have her own project in the garage yet?

mine just got her license this summer. 2013 commuter car with all the airbags and low horsepower to encourage no drag racing. (kid across the street had his Mustang replaced away after the parents had to go pick him up at the police station late at night for 'exhibition of speed')

the only good thing about Covid is that streets are relatively empty so it gives her lots of practice without heavy rush-hour traffic

·
Premium Member
8,318 Posts
I started the 78 again today, it ran great. I hope to get it back on the road on Monday.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cleaning her up tested some sos pad on the patina and working on the 565 bbc EFI build for her picked up floor pans from summit racing two weeks ago!
EBD5A020-E622-49BE-86E9-94EC12EF71CC.jpeg 5FC467E2-55DD-459C-B5C2-D0BD91CD2D1E.jpeg
4E7D53A1-DCFB-4304-9338-45AA5D8FD24F.jpeg F1203216-BFC0-459B-BC0E-B914855E1D58.jpeg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Made a kid choke today. He says 'like the Camino', I says it's GMC not Chevy, it's a Caballero, only made 1800 of them, so it's really rare. He says 'how much you want for it?' as he takes a swig of his Coke. $20k I says, it's that rare. When he sprayed the Coke back out of his nose, at least he was considerate enough to turn his head away from the car. Poor kid, that stuff gotta burn...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tear down done. Will take suspension off as I go along. Still deciding on if I stay with 1) stock arms and good shock 2) coilover on stock arms 3) racing spring and adjustable shock stock arm 4) full change to tube and coil. Im leaning more to #2 - coilover with stock arms since daily driver but better ride. Front will determine rear. Found a 10 bold LSD which I think is the ticket. I have a boat load of items i am going to make, I got my custom front air dam in mail last week. looks great. Motor is going to be a 350hp with a t-10. Looking at a set of willwood racing pedals with remote reservoirs. Next is remove paint so I know what I am working with and the time. I am leaning towards paint in the garage, I was a paint guy for a while. I figured out why the rear window leaked soooo bad. Sealant never touched window from mid section down. I was able to lift out... 1 less item to buy.
20200920_194433.jpg
20200920_194447.jpg
20200920_194455.jpg
20200920_194522.jpg
20200829_121048.jpg

4581 - 4593 of 4593 Posts