El Camino Central Forum banner

4641 - 4660 of 4688 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I used a paint that is also a primer that is high build. I plan to block it after a full cure duration. Will be painting rest of the truck today and Sunday. This was a proof of concept and worked. I will be using industrial buffing compound with a glaze and then waiting 5-6 months to do first wax.

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Fresh paint and new color. I am loving it. Need to blacken more trim pieces this weekend. I was planning on a combo of black and chrome, but the black just looks so much better to me.
Nice looking car Scott.

Reactions: sdcerreta

·
Registered
32 Posts
My ongoing saga....slowly, but surely. I swear that whoever had mine last knew how to make things work, but not how to fix anything.

So, the belt situation is better, we think. The alternator bracket was bent, and the belt now runs on an even plane. The power steering belt now seems a little skewed, but it seems to be staying in place.
We got the oil leaks fixed, we hope. More tightening and adjusting - valve covers were seated for the third time (I think my new mechanic is finding out that my previous guys took short cuts). They also fixed the manifold leak. This car runs much better, and smoother. I had it up to 105 mph today without too much struggle (the engine never tops 3000 rpm,)
Lastly, I had decided it was time to deal with the different sized rims. I replaced the old Cragars with a set of matching ION Alloy 71 rims. The car now rides better, as well.
El_Camino_NewRims.jpg

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
finally got back to mine after 3 months to complete the radiator flush. dirty brown water, started it up and let it run for about 15 minutes. stopped it, popped both hoses off and start dumped to the ground. hooked lower hose back on, filled with garden hose, started her up and as it was running, let it run out the upper hose until it ran fairly clear. stopped again.

gonna let it sit until my next free day then going to replace the water pump and belts and both hoses.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
I put two high school senior Homecoming Queen girls in the back this morning for their Homecoming Parade.

The EC ran like a top!! Only two other vintage rides in the parade though. A very nice black 57 Chevy convertible with a big block and a 70 red and white Dodge Challenger with a 318. It was also a convertible.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
A little bit of paint prep. S/S marker lights, 68 reverse lights in the bumper. A lot of accident damage and a bit of rust damage....

·
Registered
453 Posts
My ongoing saga....slowly, but surely. I swear that whoever had mine last knew how to make things work, but not how to fix anything.

So, the belt situation is better, we think. The alternator bracket was bent, and the belt now runs on an even plane. The power steering belt now seems a little skewed, but it seems to be staying in place.
We got the oil leaks fixed, we hope. More tightening and adjusting - valve covers were seated for the third time (I think my new mechanic is finding out that my previous guys took short cuts). They also fixed the manifold leak. This car runs much better, and smoother. I had it up to 105 mph today without too much struggle (the engine never tops 3000 rpm,)
Lastly, I had decided it was time to deal with the different sized rims. I replaced the old Cragars with a set of matching ION Alloy 71 rims. The car now rides better, as well.
View attachment 133623
Your rig looks like the one that I saw yesterday in Everett/Lynnwood, Wa.
I got a photo and posted it yesterday afternoon in the "Elkys spotted out and about".
20201112_152951.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
Your rig looks like the one that I saw yesterday in Everett/Lynnwood, Wa.
I got a photo and posted it yesterday afternoon in the "Elkys spotted out and about".
looks very close but the color inside the bed is different. that one is black and his is white. otherwise they do look nearly identical.

i dragged my elcamino over to my winter storage for it. still not sure what i am going to do with the trans yet. at least it is out of my driveway and out of my way lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Spent the morning at the junkyard. Found a 16" temporary spare off a GMC Sonoma. Took a section of each bed side & taillights. (I've been rear ended 4 times) I have the blank roll pan, to replace the bumper.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Spent the morning at the junkyard. Found a 16" temporary spare off a GMC Sonoma. Took a section of each bed side & taillights. (I've been rear ended 4 times) I have the blank roll pan, to replace the bumper.
your elkie has been rear-ended 4 times while you've been driving it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I blackened the turn signals, reverse lights, reflectors, running lights and wipers. I still have some more blackening to do this weekend, but it is slowly coming along. The big woohoo today was a trip to the muffler shop for some nice fat tips, black of course. Double wall. Need to paint the exhaust pipes from muffler back now that it is more visable. Also need to blacken light assmblies and all the shiny silver bolts. They stick out now. Gotta go black.

·
Premium Member
8,565 Posts
I started mine up today. It's been about 5 days since I last started it. It ran great. Hope I will get it on the road again tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Today I started the motor swap. I ended up trading my My buddys ls motor with Some bells and whistles for his motor a gen 1 small block. Well anyways I sprayed the engine bay with under coating by 3m and dropped thiss alloy headed 355 in the el camino. I also Scored a 2 speed power glide transmission for 100$ we will see how it does guy said it was a runner. Trying to get her running be end of week. Pending on Weather and wife. Oh yeah fresh rebuilt drive line rebuild with hand tools and some blocks of wood. Also tore down used carter AFB 750 Electric choke that I picked up for 65 $ came with rebuilt kit gave me a hood scoop And a extra carb for parts. Any hoo.....my day.
FA5E2D58-2739-4F28-9F94-3FCDDD72DBA9.jpeg
FA5E2D58-2739-4F28-9F94-3FCDDD72DBA9.jpeg 2D5D8A44-DA4A-4243-89AF-6ED7BE2ADDB5.jpeg 72B171BC-39C6-48B3-9455-794231129C72.jpeg BD9C9C15-5277-4529-8411-B3A31FDFF90A.jpeg 4B2FED6C-1EDB-46E2-A568-5EB82BC61A69.jpeg

·
Registered
453 Posts
On Saturday, I had to replace the alternator because it quit on Friday. Did that after back flushing the heater core in my wife's Taurus.
Sunday, I removed the parking brake pedal assembly. A small spring broke on it about 4 weeks ago, and I have been using wheel chocks and/or leaving it in gear to keep from rolling. The rearward bolt/screw that is supposed to be near the release cable was missing, and the bracket assembly has a stress crack that allows flex, and the racheting teeth do not make contact or will not hold.
20201115_134912.jpg

I have extra bolt/screws from the unit I bought at the wrecking yard, but the mount hole is stripped, necessitating that I install a nut/bolt combination. My problem now is the tight access to install a nut on the back side. Patience and perseverance will be what I need to get it back together.

4641 - 4660 of 4688 Posts