El Camino Central Forum banner

4661 - 4680 of 4688 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought a motor Saturday..hope to have it at the machine shop by the end of the month..

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put my rear axle in. New disc brakes, new urethane bushings, new springs, new shocks and new anti-sway bar. So happy to put parts back on. Fresh paint & contrast looks good underneath.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yesterday, I got a replacement parking brake bracket assembly installed, and the cable reconnected. Upon finishing that, I reinstalled the kickpanels and sill plates that have been sitting around since finishing the AC dash install.
This morning, I warmed the car up to go down for coffee and breakfast. I only had parking lights, no low beam headlights, but high beam works. I must have knocked a wire loose while installing the parking brake bracket. I guess I'll be getting that figured out today, instead of winterizing the garden.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving
Yesterday I spent the morning online (Pace performance & Rock Auto) before sorting through the various fasteners to install the exhaust manifolds. I think I have the drivers side dialed in and almost had the other when the wife sent me to buy a pie and when I got back she wanted me to Bar-B-Q... I'll be back at it Black Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pick-n-Pull was open for Thanksgiving today from 9am-2pm, so I packed up and arrived at 840am. Stayed until 130 and returned home with a delay wiper motor, a front air dam, a refrigerant hose that I hope will fit, a set of four wheel spacers approximately 1-1/4" thick, a few other small trinkets, and extra nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Pick-n-Pull was open for Thanksgiving today from 9am-2pm, so I packed up and arrived at 840am. Stayed until 130 and returned home with a delay wiper motor, a front air dam, a refrigerant hose that I hope will fit, a set of four wheel spacers approximately 1-1/4" thick, a few other small trinkets, and extra nuts and bolts.
you got the good stuff. our local late model PnP is having 50% off this weekend, so I'm going to see what they got for my for my family's daily drivers

·
Premium Member
8,565 Posts
I got my 78 started again. It took a bit,due to the gas drained out of the carburetor. Once started it ran fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well after reading on this site and getting tire sizes from fellows I ordered brand new tires for my new Wheels going to have them installed tomorrow at 4
20201121_133440.jpg

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yesterday, I found a set of four wheel spacers, an air dam, delay wiper motor, and several other trinkets while at the wrecking yard. Today I installed the wheel spacers on the rear.
20201127_083405.jpg
20201127_083738.jpg

I like the look. Then, before adding the other two spacers to the front, I wanted to loosen the inner fender for easier access to the lower bolt on the wiper motor, so I could swap it out also. With the front wheel off, I noticed that the ear was broken off of the bracket that holds the Z-bar. This is the cause of what I thought was a needed clutch adjustment. I have some steel, but I have nothing to bend it with, so I cut (three pieces), drilled, bolted together, then added welds, to make a homebrew bracket. It looks ugly, but it should last forever.
20201127_092625.jpg

20201127_123824.jpg

After I finished that repair, I was able to swap the wiper motors. Now I have working delay wipers. Yay!!!
Unless something distracts, I may do the front spacers tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Yesterday, I found a set of four wheel spacers, an air dam, delay wiper motor, and several other trinkets while at the wrecking yard. Today I installed the wheel spacers on the rear. View attachment 133959 View attachment 133960

I like the look. Then, before adding the other two spacers to the front, I wanted to loosen the inner fender for easier access to the lower bolt on the wiper motor, so I could swap it out also. With the front wheel off, I noticed that the ear was broken off of the bracket that holds the Z-bar. This is the cause of what I thought was a needed clutch adjustment. I have some steel, but I have nothing to bend it with, so I cut (three pieces), drilled, bolted together, then added welds, to make a homebrew bracket. It looks ugly, but it should last forever.
View attachment 133961
View attachment 133962

After I finished that repair, I was able to swap the wiper motors. Now I have working delay wipers. Yay!!!
looks like you got one of those old Datsun courier trucks there

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I ordered new axle bearings, seals, entire differential rebuild kit, and radiator hoses. gonna beef up that rear end!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Yesterday, I found a set of four wheel spacers, an air dam, delay wiper motor, and several other trinkets while at the wrecking yard. Today I installed the wheel spacers on the rear. View attachment 133959 View attachment 133960

View attachment 133961
View attachment 133962

Why do you need spacers ?

·
Registered
453 Posts
looks like you got one of those old Datsun courier trucks there
Yes, '79 Datsun King Cab. Been wanting to begin working on it too. I last drove it in about January 2003 I think. I had my Caballero by that time, but I used the Datsun to pick up a load of river rock gravel for the walkway around the house. I have never been able to get the Datsun started again since. It had a blown head gasket when I purchased it in 1996, and I just continually kept adding water when ever I drove it.
20200529_182020.jpg

20200529_190907.jpg

Not sure of when I will ever get to starting on this as a project, I also have a 1974 Ford Pinto to work on someday. It seems that I am addicted with upgrading the Caballero, I just can't stop.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Why do you need spacers ?
Didn't actually need them at this point, but I had to pass on a set of nice 18" rims/tires that I liked because I didn't have enough backspace available. Now that I have the spacers and put them on in the rear, I like the look of the fender/tire edge alignment with the current Rally wheels.

4661 - 4680 of 4688 Posts