El Camino Central Forum banner

4701 - 4720 of 4735 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
Started the 78 yesterday started up and died, wouldn't restart. Got the battery on the trickle charger. Hope to start it again today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
lots of work done. Got entire suspension and steering from the car.. so much rotten and rusted and broken. I am really glad I ordered new control arms. Pick up the block from the machine shop today. Decided on AFR enforcer heads with an extreme energy roller lifter cam. I also started on the custom dash design. Put the stock frame in place and old dash pad. Time to break out the welders. Christmas weekend is temp install / layout the T10 infrastructure and hump holes.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Cleaned out the garage and put my 69 up on jack stands in the rear. I'm going to change the leaking gas tank. This will be the fourth tank in five years.. I bought a better one this year. I also got another 1971 tank with the three vent tubes across the front top of the tank. I block the end tubes and put a gas filter on the middle vent tube with a loop in the hose. This along with the vented cap has totally eliminated my fume and vacuum issues... I'm thinking on running a hose to each vent and tee them with the filter..

I'm getting the Spectra 890-3770-3N. I did my homework and this tank is the exact same tank as the very expensive tank from Spectra. They changed the name of the less expensive version.

Auto Metal Direct 890-3770-3N Auto Metal Direct Spectra Steel OE Replacement Fuel Tanks | Summit Racing

·
Registered
201 Posts
Stared at my baby sitting in the driveway until I couldn't stand it any longer, so took her out for a spin. And spin I did, left a really nice long black streak thanks to a Mt-man rebuild on the carb. Discovered 2 things I'm not thrilled about, being the length of time it took to get her started (assuming no gas in the bowl) and the hesitation from idle at any temp. Back to tweaking I go...

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
Stared at my baby sitting in the driveway until I couldn't stand it any longer, so took her out for a spin. And spin I did, left a really nice long black streak thanks to a Mt-man rebuild on the carb. Discovered 2 things I'm not thrilled about, being the length of time it took to get her started (assuming no gas in the bowl) and the hesitation from idle at any temp. Back to tweaking I go...
That's so cool, great job.

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
I started up the Elk up today. It started and ran great. I couldn't get it on the road,due to one of my trucks is in the way. It's broke down. I hope to order parts tomorrow for it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Finally got the shifter where it needs to be. I liked the C3 shift knob so I bought a 9/16-18 bolt and drilled it for 3/8-16 since I couldn't find a pre-made adapter.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I pulled that leaking gasoline tank. I undercoated the frame and chassis where the tank was mounted now that it was all open. It looked real nice. Gotta love a Texas car when your used to Yankee rust.. I was thinking about painting it silver, black or white.. Also painting the straps black. I'll most likely paint it all black.. Who wants to see a gas tank anyhow.. I might just clear the tank with two black straps going across it...

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts

Still have to fit the bed trim, the aftermarket cab parts fit really poorly so I'm heading over to a friends who has the kind of tools necessary to modify the shape of the pieces so they fit properly. other than that all the shiny bits are installed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Finally fixed the timing, OP had it set at @ 6°, so now it's back at 0° where it's supposed to be. Wish they'd put that tab anywhere else but at 12 o'clock, right behind the water pump.

Ordered new plugs, wires, cap + rotor and coil, hopefully that'll solve the stalling at idle after she warm up.

4701 - 4720 of 4735 Posts