El Camino Central Forum banner

4741 - 4760 of 4771 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Storm is coming. I grabbed some BBQ and groceries. Locked up for the weekend so I plan to install the shortened driveshaft after popping in the GV unit a couple weeks ago. I should make some momentum this weekend, but I had to cut out the exhaust pipes to fit the GV, so wont be back on the road for a month or so.

I also plan to add in the PCS electronic shifter, but I want to test the GV with the column shifter before adding in a new varible. I am struggling to get the steering wheel I want, but I finally got a mock-up that I am excited about. This will include the PCS paddles and option for four buttons.

You can read more on my modz page. But here is a mock up of the steering wheel. This is a paper cutout blown up to actual size. The buttons will be auto/man seitch for GV in upper left, OD switch for GV on upper right, line loc on lower left (coming later) and ejection seat button on lower right. I'm also adding in a short NRG adapter becuase the other issue I have been having is the stck height is too high and it pushes the steering wheel too close to me. So, the Momo Jet wheel has a 1.5" dish and by the time I add in spacers and paddle and the short adapter I hope to have the right stack height. This will be fun if everything works as expected.

This is a Volante 9 bolt steering wheel that I started with. I do not want a stack height any taller than this if possible. But, I am adding in buttons and a paddle shifter which requires the 6 bolt design with top bolt at 12 oclock position.

This was my first wheel attampt. It is a 6 bolt Volante. Dish is too tall.

This is my second wheel attmempt. Dish is the same and I finally discovered that this wheel has a 6 bolt pattern with 11 and 1 oclock positions. I though the 12 oclock position hole was correct, but no. Volante has a rotator plate they wanted to sell me but that add to the stack height and does not resolve the fact that I can see a lot of the paddles behind the wheel. I really want somthing that hides this a bit more. The black on black is nice, but not quite what I wanted.

Here is a mock up of the steering wheel that I think I love. I printed this out on paper to actual size. I then cut out the slots so I can visulize what this wheel will look like mounted on the adapter plate and paddles. It is on order now. This hides most of the paddles. The buttons look nice too. The Momo Jet wheel has a nice thick grip and some CF inserts and button. I plan to use a black annodized bowtie horn button in the CF frame. If it fits. I'm excited to get this all mounted up. But, it has been slow to come together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Me being the master of procrastination, I finally got a tag and title for the 75. Only took me 2 and a half years after bringing it home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ran out of gas at just over half a tank left. Very sudden development. Rather irritating to say the least. 131 ohm from pink/black to ground at @ ¾ of a tank across the sending unit. Figured I'd check the guage to see if that was also bungled. So tore into the dash.

Previously did the whole dash lighting upgrade, made a world of difference, I can actually see the guages at night again. But the speedo remained quite dark. Figured out why. I have an OD tranny and GM was nice enough to slap in a metal tag over the standard guage dial. Unfortunately they made it too large by half, so it blocks the light output from the bottom bulb. Took the dremel and chopped a good half-inch out of the bottom edge, problem solved, speedo nice and lit up now.

151 ohm at the guage. Guess I'll take her for a drive, burn off some of that weight in the tank...

·
Registered
512 Posts
on MLK day I was finally able to get back out to where my Elkie is stored to finish up work and I FINALLY GOT SOME STUFF DONE!

With the slightly freezing weather we've had on/off here in Central Tx, I was finally able to get some of the old plain water out of the radiator and a gallon of distilled water and a gallon of anti-freeze into it. Not knowing how long it takes for a block full of plain water to freeze and crack a block, I was getting rather concerned and hoping we wouldn't have a cold spell stretch.

The other thing that I was able to do was to finally get the front clip off the '84 Cutlass Supreme! It's not quite as easy as they make it sound but we got it done. The good news about that is I now have some extra parts to part out from that beast before sending it off to the metal recycler. It has jounce bars, front sway bar, a chrome lower windshield trim piece, a 307 Olds engine, vacuum ball, and a few other things that might be shareable with an elkie.
G-body, so it will all share from '78-87. Maybe need some special treatment items for the Olds running gear though if you were to use it. Gbodyforum.com is a great place for '78-87 info.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Me being the master of procrastination, I finally got a tag and title for the 75. Only took me 2 and a half years after bringing it home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
that's fast! I finally got my title about 4 months ago, after owning the car since 2013, so about 7 years? Working on getting it registered and drivable soon. (which probably means another year or two :ROFLMAO: ...if lucky )

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Here is a mock up of the steering wheel that I think I love. I printed this out on paper to actual size. I then cut out the slots so I can visulize what this wheel will look like mounted on the adapter plate and paddles. It is on order now. This hides most of the paddles. The buttons look nice too. The Momo Jet wheel has a nice thick grip and some CF inserts and button. I plan to use a black annodized bowtie horn button in the CF frame. If it fits. I'm excited to get this all mounted up. But, it has been slow to come together.
View attachment 135172

cut off the bottom to match and you've got a start on making a Batmobile steering wheel!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Today was a good day. Drove the car down to the muffler shop with straight headers. Sounded like a race car. I passed two police and did not get pulled over, thank goodness.

After installing the GV overdrive I had to cut out the exhaust and have it rebuilt. This time I had the shop add in an H pipe. Great sound, a little more pep off the line and really clean job of installing the H pipe right behind the crossbeam where there was a little gap before the main body of hte GV. Perfect fit. All the exhaust is up about an inch or two higher than before too.

I also got the steering wheel and NRG adapter. So, no bat mobile steering wheel. This Momo wheel is awesome and the total stack height is just about right wven with a spacer and the paddles. Here are a few goody shots. I hope to get the wheel installed tomorrow, but won't have the paddles working until I can figure out the GV unit first. Then I will add the PCS ecetronic shifter and wire up the paddles.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got the Momo Jet steering wheel installed and made a couple test drives. Still working out the kinks, but here is a photo and video to share.

·
Premium Member
8,905 Posts
I started up the 78 again today. I try to get it running at least every 2 weeks. I need to get my other truck fixed, so I can get the Elk out on the road.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm partially OCD about some stuff, so gotta say I'm loving the fact the colors on the radio seem to match up exactly with the dash lighting. Seems like a little thing to most ppl, I guess, but to me it adds a lot to bring everything together. Looks great, but gotta fix those cords lol, that'd drive me crazy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm partially OCD about some stuff, so gotta say I'm loving the fact the colors on the radio seem to match up exactly with the dash lighting. Seems like a little thing to most ppl, I guess, but to me it adds a lot to bring everything together. Looks great, but gotta fix those cords lol, that'd drive me crazy.
The matching color was no accident. I have blue neon in the amp rack too. The cords are another story. I have more, so once I get everything dialed in I will end up putting on new cords that are not frayed. But, I am hopeful that after I remove the column shifter, I may have some more mounting options since the column piece that moves will become fixed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Today I completed the installation for the PCS e-shifter and the companion paddles. It took me about 10 hours for the install. I really like electronic projects, soldering and cable routing much more than heavy lifting projects like gears in the rear end or installing the GV overdrive unit.

This was a fun install and like usual, I prefer to strip the car down as much as possible so I am not fighting the install process. I also through the years learned to do electrical tests before putting the car back together before finding out that I missed something and I have to pull the car apart again.

With that said, the electrical test was a success on the first try. I did have to program the e-shifter twice, since I missed Drive on the first calibration.

Here are a few videos to share. If you want to see more photos for this project or to learn more about my 70 Elky resto-mod check out my modz page here:
1970 El Camino 350 Daily Driver Project - Lots of modern...

This is the phase where I get everything wired up for a test before routing all the harness wire looms only to find out that something is not working correctly. Here is a short video on the test. This took place right after calibration of the control module.

Video #1 is a quick tour outside the car.

Video #2 is a tour of the PCS e-shifter, paddles and GV operation. Then I head out for some test driving where I show the paddles and GV switches in action.

·
Premium Member
8,905 Posts
I started the 78 Elk up again today. It ran great. It didn't stumble when I stomped on the gas. I need to get my other truck fixed so I can get the Elk out on the road again.

·
Premium Member
8,905 Posts
I started the 78 Elk up again. It was hard to start due to the gas draining from the carburetor. Once I got it running it ran very nice. I need to start it more often.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Taking her out for a ride today. She can't wait.

4741 - 4760 of 4771 Posts