El Camino Central Forum banner

4761 - 4771 of 4771 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Haven't run mine for a couple of weeks, so I had to put the charger on the battery for a while, then drove it to NAPA for a few parts, and over to Harbor Freight. That was yesterday.
Today, I was looking at trying to find a convenient place to mount a battery disconnect switch to prevent battery drain. I don't want to install it under the hood, and I don't want to put a hole anywhere on the dash panel either, so I will just deal with battery drain until I can locate the source of the problem. As long as I start and run the engine every few days it is alright.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Haven't run mine for a couple of weeks, so I had to put the charger on the battery for a while, then drove it to NAPA for a few parts, and over to Harbor Freight. That was yesterday.
Today, I was looking at trying to find a convenient place to mount a battery disconnect switch to prevent battery drain. I don't want to install it under the hood, and I don't want to put a hole anywhere on the dash panel either, so I will just deal with battery drain until I can locate the source of the problem. As long as I start and run the engine every few days it is alright.
why not splice in a disconnect and run it to a switch somewhere under the dash? use the existing firewall penetrations as a way to snake the line thru.

·
Registered
375 Posts
We had trouble in the police cars with them forgetting to turn stuff off. We used the relays powered on by the ignition switch for everything but the electric door locks. When the key went off so did the vehicle.
Tom

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
We had trouble in the police cars with them forgetting to turn stuff off. We used the relays powered on by the ignition switch for everything but the electric door locks. When the key went off so did the vehicle.
Tom
I thought it was forbidden to modify the cars from stock powertrain/driveline/electrical configuration? what happened when the vehicles reached EOL and were auctioned off?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I thought it was forbidden to modify the cars from stock powertrain/driveline/electrical configuration? what happened when the vehicles reached EOL and were auctioned off?
Before auction, they were brought in and all equipment removed and returned to original.
Tom

·
Registered
512 Posts
why not splice in a disconnect and run it to a switch somewhere under the dash? use the existing firewall penetrations as a way to snake the line thru.
I considered something of that nature, but I would still need to find a convenient point to activate it. Maybe I will mount it down on the driver side kick panel. When I decide the location, I will measure for the new cables.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I considered something of that nature, but I would still need to find a convenient point to activate it. Maybe I will mount it down on the driver side kick panel. When I decide the location, I will measure for the new cables.
just take into account where you want to cut power:
1- from the battery to ignition, then you lose all settings to radio and/or alarm system
2- ignition to starter, probably gonna keep getting parasitic draw that kills battery

take a look at an AmpHound

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sounds like a good tool to have in the toolbox.
I hopped in the car this morning to run down to the coffee shop and realized to my folly that the e-brake prevents me from using the kick panel. Since I do not smoke, and I have a mounted USB adapter for powering accessory devices, I could mount a cut off switch at the old cig lighter position. I would only have to be sure of panel on/off access for stereo or heater repairs. Ultimately, I will figure something out.

·
Premium Member
8,905 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today. It started and ran well. I need to keep doing this till I get my other truck fixed and out of the way.

4761 - 4771 of 4771 Posts