El Camino Central Forum banner

4821 - 4840 of 4918 Posts

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Neil 464 Elky and I put a Rostra cruise control in. Neil mostly and I stayed out of his way :giggle: . Now after about 20 trips to Gainesville I can do it the easy way.
I’ve been contemplating this since it integrates with all of my Dakota Digital goodies. Do let us know how you like it once you’ve spent some time with it please.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Neil has installed several of these and both his Elky and wagon are Dakota Digital. I gave it a shakedown on my way home at 55 to 60MPH settings. It accelerated and decelerated when I used the buttons and no surge when not using them. Of course we have no hills in S. FLA. other than the overpass of the turnpike and it seemed steady going over that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My Dakota Digital unit cruises like a car with EFI when used on a carb. Amazing. Well, not really. The VSS keeps constant pull and release on the throttle cable when going up or down hills.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Pulled the old dash, about to install new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pulled dash out my Elk, removed factory speedo and replacing it with Autometer gauges, new switches and added black SS dash strip. Now time to wire in gauges and install dash.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

Reactions: PCH66 and 123pugsy

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice looking dash, glad I don’t have that much spaghetti under my dash;)

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

Done for the night. 3 chrome bezel rings fell off of the instrument panel in the process but otherwise it was easy. I am repainting all of the tan interior pieces to match. I will wrap up the dash work tomorrow and start on center console.

Reactions: 1EseInCali

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nice work RJ, I have noticed that you have AC and also stereo speakers in your dash. Do you happen to have an extra outer vent louver and/or speaker grills that you would consider selling?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Nice work RJ, I have noticed that you have AC and also stereo speakers in your dash. Do you happen to have an extra outer vent louver and/or speaker grills that you would consider selling?
I have one vent for passenger side. Do you need that one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
On a holiday today. It's sunny, the weather is nice, birds chirping...great day to get out there and get the Elky looked at right?!? Maybe start fixing her up?

Took my 85 to a well rated shop today to get the EGR valve/EGR solenoid/Smog issue looked into and (hopefully) fixed.

Owner told me yesterday when I called that they would check it out while I wait. So I pile my oldest son in and we drive to the other side of town. Check the car in. Owner says he's keeping it until tomorrow. Ugh.

A $50 Uber ride home later, I call the shop to tell them about something I forgot - the owner says he talked with his tech and the guy said if it's a smog issue the car needs to go to a smog shop, so I should come pick the car up. The owner didn't call me to tell me this, nope, he waited until I called him.

Determined not to let that ruin my day I start trying to hunt down engines and a shop willing to do the swap out. 5 shops later and none are willing to do the work or don't have an engine.

Ok, start looking for the trans - - strike out on multiple attempts, finally hit one shop that says they don't do trans swaps because it's just too much of a hassle but they recommend to keep and rebuild the stock 3 speed ($1600) and change the gear ratio on the backend ($800). They said then the other cost would be the new motor and of course install.

Still no luck on a shop to install the new motor, beside the one where I took it today who wants $1900 in labor + parts.

Seriously dismayed. Now I am about to drive my other car to pick up the Elky, then drive the Elky home and have my wife drive back out to get the other car after she gets off work.

Today was NOT a good day.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
On a holiday today. It's sunny, the weather is nice, birds chirping...great day to get out there and get the Elky looked at right?!? Maybe start fixing her up?

Took my 85 to a well rated shop today to get the EGR valve/EGR solenoid/Smog issue looked into and (hopefully) fixed.

Owner told me yesterday when I called that they would check it out while I wait. So I pile my oldest son in and we drive to the other side of town. Check the car in. Owner says he's keeping it until tomorrow. Ugh.

A $50 Uber ride home later, I call the shop to tell them about something I forgot - the owner says he talked with his tech and the guy said if it's a smog issue the car needs to go to a smog shop, so I should come pick the car up. The owner didn't call me to tell me this, nope, he waited until I called him.

Determined not to let that ruin my day I start trying to hunt down engines and a shop willing to do the swap out. 5 shops later and none are willing to do the work or don't have an engine.

Ok, start looking for the trans - - strike out on multiple attempts, finally hit one shop that says they don't do trans swaps because it's just too much of a hassle but they recommend to keep and rebuild the stock 3 speed ($1600) and change the gear ratio on the backend ($800). They said then the other cost would be the new motor and of course install.

Still no luck on a shop to install the new motor, beside the one where I took it today who wants $1900 in labor + parts.

Seriously dismayed. Now I am about to drive my other car to pick up the Elky, then drive the Elky home and have my wife drive back out to get the other car after she gets off work.

Today was NOT a good day.

Ok,
At some point all classic car owners have lived a day like yours. I have learned that it’s better to learn to do as much of everything as possible and save yourself the headache. I had a 6 speed T56 installed, three rebuilds later it finally shifts like a dream. Bought a blueprint engine and had it installed and had vibrations that it didn’t have before the install. Now that’s fixed. Total time from start to finish with 5 different shops due to delays and terrible technicians it was 3.5 years. Runs like a dream now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have one vent for passenger side. Do you need that one?

The two center vents are narrower than the outer vents. I have both centers and a vent on the passenger side. The vent to the left of the instrument cluster should be the same as the far right vent, and that is the size that I need just one of.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
The two center vents are narrower than the outer vents. I have both centers and a vent on the passenger side. The vent to the left of the instrument cluster should be the same as the far right vent, and that is the size that I need just one of.
I have one for you then. Let me know where to send it. This site has direct message ability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's an amazing transformation. Looks really like the car could have come that way. I've seen multiple postings of ppl wanting to swap from sweep to round guages but not seen a really decent explanation of all that was involved. I'd love it if you could write up a build history of all that you had to go through to make it look so good 👍
Seriously nice job.
Thank you. Since I'd never done anything like this, it was a task. Watched many videos on the wiring and removal of old sweep dash. I took my time. I knew I wanted to break up all the original black and just give it a little updated look, since the gauges were gonna give it a different look as well. The seats were already done when I bought it, so I just played off the grey seats and touched up the dash, steering column, and door panels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The color scheme is brilliant. Nice job. I noticed some digital displays in the gauges. What gauges are you using to fit in that SS panel? Is this from a 1970 El Camino?
Thank you. I have a 71. The SS dash I bought from OPGI. Dakota Digital RTX gauges. The HTX gauges are slightly different and have only one info display. Both have the same options.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Before, pictures taken in 1989.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
After, pictures taken 2021.

4821 - 4840 of 4918 Posts