El Camino Central Forum banner

4941 - 4960 of 4990 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
No, the Ford has the problem. One day it wouldn't go in reverse, while I was driving it. I learned that there's 2 torque screws that needed tightening. I tightened them ,then it wouldn't go in park. The indicator broke so I got a new one.then it broke. So then I took the old one and the new one and made it into a good one. Now I can't seem to get the transmission into park so I can start and move it, so I can get the Elk out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
No, the Ford has the problem. One day it wouldn't go in reverse, while I was driving it. I learned that there's 2 torque screws that needed tightening. I tightened them ,then it wouldn't go in park. The indicator broke so I got a new one.then it broke. So then I took the old one and the new one and made it into a good one. Now I can't seem to get the transmission into park so I can start and move it, so I can get the Elk out.
It should start in Neutral too. Try that.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
these two pages talk about different possibilities however both items are electronic

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
Thank you. I'm working with it there now. Not much help from them. I plan to keep playing with it till I figure it out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
New motor was installed today. Upgraded from a 74 SBC 350 with 190HP to a BluePrint 350 with 390HP. The dyno sheet came in with 401.5 HP and torque of 419. After getting all my components mounted I imagine I am at 420+ HP.

Shop said that the vibration is gone and everything is set for the break-in period. I need to get a quick 500 miles on this baby so I can change oils and start to play with it a little harder. I plan to pick it up on Monday and do some driving after work on each night to break it in. So exciting to jump from about 250HP dressed to abotu 420HP. I just installed the 3,73 gears before the car went in for motor swap, so everything is going to feel different.

My goal is to have a sub 14 sec 1/4 mile and that will make me smile. My best with the 3.08 gears was 16 sec. I never had a chance to check with the 3.73 since the gears did not finish the break-in period yet.

·
Registered
447 Posts
New motor was installed today. Upgraded from a 74 SBC 350 with 190HP to a BluePrint 350 with 390HP. The dyno sheet came in with 401.5 HP and torque of 419. After getting all my components mounted I imagine I am at 420+ HP.

Shop said that the vibration is gone and everything is set for the break-in period. I need to get a quick 500 miles on this baby so I can change oils and start to play with it a little harder. I plan to pick it up on Monday and do some driving after work on each night to break it in. So exciting to jump from about 250HP dressed to abotu 420HP. I just installed the 3,73 gears before the car went in for motor swap, so everything is going to feel different.

My goal is to have a sub 14 sec 1/4 mile and that will make me smile. My best with the 3.08 gears was 16 sec. I never had a chance to check with the 3.73 since the gears did not finish the break-in period yet.

View attachment 137419

View attachment 137421
I did the a similar motor swap in October of 2018. It made a huge difference. Be gentle with the breakin. I have 14,000 miles on mine now, and it has a vibration from the engine around 2900-3400 rpm. I’ve had the trans rebuilt 3 times, die to chatter in trans and replaced the harmonica balancer as well as the flywheel (balancer by blueprint). I also had a noisy driveline that turned out to be a damaged driveshaft. That’s has also been replaced. Vibration is still there. My experience tells me it could be a tweaked crank but my next step is to pull the motor out for another engine inspection and rotating assembly balance. I think the breakin process was where the issue may have started, hidden by other noises that have since been fixed. Love the power of this engine.

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just getting around to working on the body. High build primer and guide coat day in the pic, and sanding today...again. A job not for the feint of heart. Lots of work and it should pay dividends. I've been playing around off road riding in my side by side and neglecting the 68 so it repaid me by having a carb float and seat issue. Parts on order. Here's a pic of primer day.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts

View attachment 137419

View attachment 137421
The engine looks awesome, awesome awesome job,Scott.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
Just getting around to working on the body. High build primer and guide coat day in the pic, and sanding today...again. A job not for the feint of heart. Lots of work and it should pay dividends. I've been playing around off road riding in my side by side and neglecting the 68 so it repaid me by having a carb float and seat issue. Parts on order. Here's a pic of primer day.
View attachment 137428
It's looking good, great progress.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Replaced the original leaking power steering pressure hose on my ’78.
Just an FYI - anyone replacing this hose may encounter the same issue.
I ordered one from the Rock Auto catalog for my specific model El Camino, (Gates 358450) @ $13.62 - but the hard line bends were too short and would not fit over the gearbox.
So, I returned it and ordered the correctly bent hose (Edelmann 80116) @ $9.93 and it fit perfectly.
PS Hose.JPG

After a $6.12 charge to print a return label, I only got $7.50 credit back.
I like their prices and parts, but it seems odd to spend less for the right part, and not get the full amount for the return - but that’s how they operate.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Replaced the original leaking power steering pressure hose on my ’78.
Just an FYI - anyone replacing this hose may encounter the same issue.
I ordered one from the Rock Auto catalog for my specific model El Camino, (Gates 358450) @ $13.62 - but the hard line bends were too short and would not fit over the gearbox.
So, I returned it and ordered the correctly bent hose (Edelmann 80116) @ $9.93 and it fit perfectly.
View attachment 137459

After a $6.12 charge to print a return label, I only got $7.50 credit back.
I like their prices and parts, but it seems odd to spend less for the right part, and not get the full amount for the return - but that’s how they operate.
if you tell them their catalog was wrong, and they sent you the wrong part because of their info, I've had them refund the money and pay for the part to be shipped back. Another time was also given the option to keep the part and get a refund.

·
Registered
575 Posts
if you tell them their catalog was wrong, and they sent you the wrong part because of their info, I've had them refund the money and pay for the part to be shipped back. Another time was also given the option to keep the part and get a refund.
Aside from a couple questions about the part description during the return process online, I saw no other options for correction. They only offered a page to reorder the replacement, or get a refund after returning the wrong part- which I did. I never considered calling. Thanks, good to know.

·
Registered
1976 Chevy El Camino 5.7l 350sbc 4bl
8 Posts
Pulled the motor out of my '76 the other day so I've been cleaning it inside and out. Today i made lots of progress,
Tomorrow(May 3, 2021) I'll be continuing my teardown/cleaning/rebuild of the 76 El Co's heart. Never heard it start and run but I did get it to attempt to crank when I visited it on Christmas before I brought it back out here to Vegas. Carb was flooding then tho so there wasn't much I could do since I was visiting for Christmas, so family came first. Got a lot of replacement parts and what not since it came home since I had the money to do so after selling my '88 firebird. Sold the bird to dump the dough into the El Camino. New Edelbrock intake manifold, air filter, and valve covers, rebuilt my Edelbrock 4 barrel 1404 carb (600cfm electric choke), got a battery for it today for whenever I'm ready to try to start it. Had to replace the ignition cylinder before I even started the engine pull much less the clean and rebuild. Unfortunately the deeper I get into the heart of the motor, the more stuff I see that id LIKE to just replace if i was made of money. Things like the rusty old water pump, the alternator more than likely, the exhaust system (besides the hush thrush), motor mounts, etc. Since the frion for the AC compressor that was in it has been outlawed, I just pulled it out and chucked it since it's useless now anyhow. Anyone know what other AC components I can remove without affecting the running state of the beast? Like the lines with the ports used to vacuum and restore the frion on an AC recovery? Safe to get all that junk outa there now or no???

·
Registered
543 Posts
Pulled the motor out of my '76 the other day so I've been cleaning it inside and out. Today i made lots of progress, View attachment 137477 View attachment 137478 View attachment 137479 View attachment 137480 View attachment 137481 Tomorrow(May 3, 2021) I'll be continuing my teardown/cleaning/rebuild of the 76 El Co's heart. Never heard it start and run but I did get it to attempt to crank when I visited it on Christmas before I brought it back out here to Vegas. Carb was flooding then tho so there wasn't much I could do since I was visiting for Christmas, so family came first. Got a lot of replacement parts and what not since it came home since I had the money to do so after selling my '88 firebird. Sold the bird to dump the dough into the El Camino. New Edelbrock intake manifold, air filter, and valve covers, rebuilt my Edelbrock 4 barrel 1404 carb (600cfm electric choke), got a battery for it today for whenever I'm ready to try to start it. Had to replace the ignition cylinder before I even started the engine pull much less the clean and rebuild. Unfortunately the deeper I get into the heart of the motor, the more stuff I see that id LIKE to just replace if i was made of money. Things like the rusty old water pump, the alternator more than likely, the exhaust system (besides the hush thrush), motor mounts, etc. Since the frion for the AC compressor that was in it has been outlawed, I just pulled it out and chucked it since it's useless now anyhow. Anyone know what other AC components I can remove without affecting the running state of the beast? Like the lines with the ports used to vacuum and restore the frion on an AC recovery? Safe to get all that junk outa there now or no???
If you had the A6 long type compressor, I would be interested in some of the brackets that mount them to the driver side of the engine block. Specifically, I need the bracket that bolts directly to the rear of the compressor with the adjustment slider slot, and the front bracket which also mounts the power steering pump to the plate holding the compressor.

See my post below.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I decided to work some more on my A/C upgrade. Last summer I installed the A/C airbox, vents, and dashboard from an '81 into my '78. I have most of the parts to complete the upgrade. My brother sent me the upper bracket for the rear of the compressor last week, so I thought I could begin installing it. I pulled the fan, shroud, and pulleys off. Removed the power steering pump and bracket to replace the pump while I was going to add the A/C, but I learned that the pump bracket and compressor bracket plate do not play nice together. I hopped on the computer, popped in the service manual disc, and found some bracket numbers (but no pictures to compare), put in a different disc with pictures, but no numbers. I am not very tech savvy, but after a few hours, was able to screen print the pic into a folder. Now I need to do a photo edit to the pic to show what I already have, and what I need, then hope someone has the parts to sell.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I decided to work some more on my A/C upgrade. Last summer I installed the A/C airbox, vents, and dashboard from an '81 into my '78. I have most of the parts to complete the upgrade. My brother sent me the upper bracket for the rear of the compressor last week, so I thought I could begin installing it. I pulled the fan, shroud, and pulleys off. Removed the power steering pump and bracket to replace the pump while I was going to add the A/C, but I learned that the pump bracket and compressor bracket plate do not play nice together. I hopped on the computer, popped in the service manual disc, and found some bracket numbers (but no pictures to compare), put in a different disc with pictures, but no numbers. I am not very tech savvy, but after a few hours, was able to screen print the pic into a folder. Now I need to do a photo edit to the pic to show what I already have, and what I need, then hope someone has the parts to sell.
You may also be able to get a part 3D printed. Here is a company I have used in the past. ExOne Metal 3D Printing on Demand

You may need to borrow a similar part from an owner here on elcamino central but that shouldn’t be hard to find. We are all very dedicated to our trucks and do what we can for our community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4941 - 4960 of 4990 Posts