El Camino Central Forum banner

4961 - 4980 of 4990 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Rj143, that is a good idea about getting 3D printed parts. The parts I am looking for will go on my '78 Caballero.
My '79 El Camino is a factory AC car, so if need be, I can borrow parts from myself.
Here are two edited pics of the screen print from the service manual. The parts in green I have, the parts in red are the ones stopping my progress.
ACbrackets-have.jpg
ACbrackets-need.jpg

Possible part numbers for one or both of these might be: 14033863 for the rear bracket, and 14017790 or 14015526 for the front.
The front bracket also holds the power steering pump mounted in front below the AC compressor.
I will also be needing the correct 3 groove pulley for the crankshaft, and 2 groove pulley for the water pump. (SBC engine)

If anyone has these parts and are willing to sell, send me a PM. I live just outside of Seattle, Wa. in zip 98168.

Will copy and paste to the WTB page.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tore into the carb again today, after spending hours researching why I was having such a hard start and every answer coming back as choke or timing. Timing is 0° without ecm, choke is set (thanks Lars) again, everything as far as I can see is good. Back to more research, and an hour later find 1 little blurb talking about the fuel filter. What the heck, nothing to loose now, so looked that up too. And found a YouTube video showing exactly how to remove/install one on a quadrajet.

6 hours of research, days of tinkering and tweeking and weeks of hard starts boiled down to a 50¢ piece of rubber. The fuel filter check valve that was not in there when I got the carb rebuilt. New filter, no check valve. Bowl was siphoned empty every night, no wonder it wouldn't start with a simple pump or 3 on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Tore into the carb again today, after spending hours researching why I was having such a hard start and every answer coming back as choke or timing. Timing is 0° without ecm, choke is set (thanks Lars) again, everything as far as I can see is good. Back to more research, and an hour later find 1 little blurb talking about the fuel filter. What the heck, nothing to loose now, so looked that up too. And found a YouTube video showing exactly how to remove/install one on a quadrajet.

6 hours of research, days of tinkering and tweeking and weeks of hard starts boiled down to a 50¢ piece of rubber. The fuel filter check valve that was not in there when I got the carb rebuilt. New filter, no check valve. Bowl was siphoned empty every night, no wonder it wouldn't start with a simple pump or 3 on the gas pedal.
Picture of filter and valve please.
Tom

·
Registered
290 Posts

Most places you'll get the filter on the right (no valve), the valve is that black thing in center which fits in the inlet side of the filter (left). Without that valve, heat and gravity will empty the bowl overnight, draining as far back to the gas tank as it can.
This is the long filter from late model Chevy Quadrajet, there's also a stubby version. Either one needs the same valve. Most filters off the shelf don't have the valve included, just the filter.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts

Most places you'll get the filter on the right (no valve), the valve is that black thing in center which fits in the inlet side of the filter (left). Without that valve, heat and gravity will empty the bowl overnight, draining as far back to the gas tank as it can.
This is the long filter from late model Chevy Quadrajet, there's also a stubby version. Either one needs the same valve. Most filters off the shelf don't have the valve included, just the filter.
I've NEVER seen one of those anywhere. good catch!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've NEVER seen one of those anywhere. good catch!
Me either, but it does have a slight restriction to it, so many ppl will pull the valve entirely for higher rpm performance needs or snip the spring coils. If using an electric fuel pump, you don't need the valve as they have their own check valves. But for stock application, it's a must or you'll be cranking for days and stomping the gas pedal just to get the bowl re-primed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Racked up 500 miles on the new motor. 600 miles on the rear gears. I changed oil in motor and rear diff. Rear diff was treated with siem AMS oil 80-90w and Trans X posi-traction additive.

I also cleaned up some sloppy work from the shop. Rerouted emergency brake cable to above the tranny crossmember. I also tightened up some loose bolts on the tranny pan cover that was leaking. I also had a small coolant leak at the intake and these bolts were all retorqued. I also replaced all the header bolts. The shop put some mismatched ones in place and in the past these would often loosen up, so I spent $50 for high quality header bolts and I hope they stop coming loose.

I had some backfiring yesterday and when checking the spark plugs I noticed one boot had a hole in it from the headers. I tried to buy a shorty plug today and dammmn, these are hard to find with a .750 reach plug. So, I went to plan B and replaced the MSD boot and added a DEI boot protector over the top. This worked out great! Out for a test drive and everything was solid. No exhaust smoke and all is good. Oil pressure was up in the 50psi range most of the time.

The MSD 6AL was set to rev limit at 5500rpm and on a few 1/4 mile test runs I kept hitting that limit. So, I increased that limit to 6000rpm. I can really feel a power and speed difference at 4500-5500rpm.

I apparently suck at hole shots and the best 1/4 mil time I could get was 15.9 with an 8.2 sec 0-60. I was really hoping for more speed and holeshot power with the 3.73s and 390hp. :(

Got some more tweaks to make this weekend.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Engine compartment jams done and should be ready for color next week.

Reactions: 123pugsy and 78 Elk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good luck with that!

I primed my fresh Blue Print 350, ensuring the proper rotation, this time. Hooked up the battery, turned the key... nothing. NOTHING, at all. Lights work, windows up & down... nothing from the starter.
So, fellas, it makes a difference where the little wire on the starter motor goes. That was much easier to remove & replace before the headers were installed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Took the 68 into get it wrapped. Pulled out and started detailing the new front bumper. Big difference from the old one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Making use of the nice weather today

4961 - 4980 of 4990 Posts