El Camino Central Forum banner
5141 - 5160 of 5195 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,507 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today. It ran great. It responded to the throttle, without any issues. Everything was working great.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
went and pulled the flooded Caballero out of the dirt, turns out 1 flat tire and 1 tire coming off the rim, same side. was hoping to load it and take it home but no spare tires to help it roll straight. looks like a free tow truck delivery now :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Went for a drive to the cruise in. Steering is very tight from Jeep steering box swap. Driving straight feels OK, but anything else is really bad. Will be operating on the pump later today.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Removed the seats and made a speaker wall that has 2 6x9 speakers and a small amp. I'll work on the front speaker pods for the kick panels today.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Brand new (not rebuilt) power steering box with quick ratio installed. Previous rebuilt unit started leaking after a couple hundred miles….errrrr! Splurged for a new unit which cost $426 but so far it seems worth it!
View attachment 139245
View attachment 139246
Nice. Too bad it will cost double that up here. I'm at the re-builders' mercy.
New lines going on tonight. Hopefully steering softens up a bit.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Finished wiring the stereo and fabricated the passenger kick panel speaker pod. Forgot to run a 12 volt trigger wire to the amp and got that done. Works well. Installed the TMI seats to discover that the passenger seat base was wrong. Cut, weld, drill, paint, and fixed it... finished the 3 day project. Seats are very comfy!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Bought a 1969-70 GM "ribbon tach" for my '64.Supposed to be mounted on the dash but I didn't want to drill a hole in my steel dash so made a bracket to mount it on the steering column.I like the look a lot just gotta hook it up and clamp it down.Gonna put the clock back in where the dash tach is.
20210714_143625.jpg
20210714_143459.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Drilled the hole in my steering pump adapter/inlet to 5/32". Let's see if the turning gets easier. I'll go for a test drive after dinner.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
406 Posts
Bought a 1969-70 GM "ribbon tach" for my '64.Supposed to be mounted on the dash but I didn't want to drill a hole in my steel dash so made a bracket to mount it on the steering column.I like the look a lot just gotta hook it up and clamp it down.Gonna put the clock back in where the dash tach is. View attachment 139318 View attachment 139319
Oh snap! That looks like it could have been factory lol

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm a member of another forum that has a thread similar to this one. I'd like to start one here. It's been great over there, seeing all the projects other guys are up to every day! Anything goes as long as it's something you've done to your Elky. Pictures are always a plus if possible.

I'll go 1st. Today I took my elky to the shop next door and had my air conditioning fixed. It had a leaky hose. The hose is replaced, the system is charged, and now it's blowing nice and cold! 🍺
It was 104* in my garage today (again) but - DJenkins post inspired me.
I had to purchase (5) 2x4's and a box of construction screws, but the cost was around $40 total. It took quite a while to jack my Elco up, but I got it done! Now I have 18" of space to move around under there to change out my original rear rubber brake hose.
Yeah, I'm really excited about that project.

5141 - 5160 of 5195 Posts