El Camino Central Forum banner
5161 - 5180 of 5195 Posts

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
179 Posts
Pulled a screw out of the left rear tire and plugged it. Got my glove box light working and figured out my wiper switch is good. All of the voltages are present where they should be.
Shopping for a new wiper motor...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It was 104* in my garage today (again) but - DJenkins post inspired me.
I had to purchase (5) 2x4's and a box of construction screws, but the cost was around $40 total. It took quite a while to jack my Elco up, but I got it done! Now I have 18" of space to move around under there to change out my original rear rubber brake hose.
Yeah, I'm really excited about that project.

View attachment 139325
👍:cool:👍!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
After having my Elky at the shop for a year, she is now back home with a new Blue Print 350 Vortec engine, TH350 trans, Flowmaster 50 exhaust system and many belts, hoses, etc. She now runs, drives and sounds like a new truck. Thank you Ralph Krueger (Hot Rod Elco.)

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
After having my Elky at the shop for a year, she is now back home with a new Blue Print 350 Vortec engine, TH350 trans, Flowmaster 50 exhaust system and many belts, hoses, etc. She now runs, drives and sounds like a new truck. Thank you Ralph Krueger (Hot Rod Elco.)
That's awesome, glad you have it home. You've made great improvements on it. Have fun and enjoy it.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Driving mine to work everyday and couldn't be happier. 20 mpg city, 26 mph hwy now. It was never that fuel efficient from the factory, or with as much power. Living the dream.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I plan to install a freshly certified Quadrajet 750 vacuum secondary with electric choke. I have studied up on it and feel confident based on its easy of tuning I could get 30 MPG on highway and 25 in city. I will be renting Dyno for precise performance tweaking by the end of the month with this new carb. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
I plan to install a freshly certified Quadrajet 750 vacuum secondary with electric choke. I have studied up on it and feel confident based on its easy of tuning I could get 30 MPG on highway and 25 in city. I will be renting Dyno for precise performance tweaking by the end of the month with this new carb. Wish me luck.
I'm interested to see how well it will work. Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Using it as a pick up truck too. Still gets the job done. Lots of looks and thumbs up today.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Replacing the original rear flex brake hose.

This is definitely a task for a “younger” person, or one that has a lift. And maybe an air conditioned shop. 105* again, geez.
18" up off the floor is enough to access the hose, but what a pain - literally. You have to wedge your head between the gas tank and the differential to see anything - that is if you don’t have a muffler residing in that space.

This is what 43 years of road dirt & differential gear oil makes it look like.
(smh) - I should have invested in a pressure washer a long time ago.
Dirty Hose.jpg

A wire brush, bruised knuckles, and an hour later, I could see the fittings.
(Includes cleaning the floor to remove a bucket full of grimy dirt I scraped off of the cross member)
Cleaned Hose.jpg Dirty Clip.jpg
Believe it or not, there is a retaining clip stuck on the cross member under that three decade old caked on Colorado River dirt & sand. Yeah, off-road in a stock Elco, I know.
It looks like this removed and cleaned. Clip Cleaned.jpg

Alrighty then, we are havin’ us some fun now!
There are just inches of clearance for your hands to turn a wrench of course!
Why would it be easy? That just seems wrong for some reason.
11mm flare nut wrench for the brake lines at the distribution block, 13mm socket for the bolt, a 9/16 flare nut wrench & 5/8 open end wrench for the fitting on other end of the hose. I used the transmission fluid / acetone mix penetrating fluid recipe that I found here to break them loose - and it worked. Huh, how ‘bout that.

Why do ‘78's have a mix of Metric & SAE? I just don’t know.
If you manage to disassemble everything without destroying any fittings,
you can reverse the process, and you get to fight again with that
darn retaining clip! New Hose 2.jpg

Now to bleed the air out of the lines, oh, joy.

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
179 Posts
No time slip? She's frying the tires, what ET/ trap speed did she turn?

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Had some difficulties after the weekly treatment. Some internal bleeding and needing to be within a 10 second dash to the loo for two days.
So I got bummed that I didn't even wash the Civic today.

I looked into the bed of the truck and found the box for the Craftec bed cover.
Unboxed it making sure that the copper staples did not grab the cloth.
Found my old comforter and said, yes that will help the knees and might keep me from starting bleeding below the belt.
I am not married, so I did not need to ask permission to use the old comforter. I encourage you not to use wifies grandma's quilt.

Clearly I was slow, even for me. Yet I got the structure built on a somewhat cool evening.
Here is an image, including the 55 year old PowerCraft (Montgomery Wards) sockets and 50 year old Craftsman Deflection Beam Torque Wrench.
Why a torque wrench? I did not want to tighten anything into aluminum pass 20 foot pounds. I did not want to strip self tapping threads in aluminum parts.
So far Craftec quality and instructions look good.

·
Registered
221 Posts
5161 - 5180 of 5195 Posts