El Camino Central Forum banner
5241 - 5260 of 5450 Posts

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
702 Posts
who did the rebuild?
I shipped it to MountainMan Fuel Systems. It's been on the car about 6 months, and thats how long I've been tweaking on it. First thing I did was tighten the air horn screws, every last one was loose enough to be ineffective at sealing that gasket. Then replace the fuel filter for a valved kind. Don't get me wrong, things like gapping on the throttle plates is flawless and it's as shiny as a new penny, and right now idles/starts better than it ever has since I've owned it, but that many turns on almost every joining screw is having a bad day made worse.

·
Registered
702 Posts
THIS is exactly what I ended up doing yesterday to bleed my brakes. Got my money back for the POS tool I bought, and went "old school" on it. Took my Elco for a shake down drive and loved every 104* minute of it! Thanks.
Dude, it's an "old school" Cruck! Why you trying to use "new fangled" tools on it 🤣

·
Registered
702 Posts
Have not seen somebody working in a pit forever. Don’t think they are allowed in NJ. Don’t know about Florida.
Tom
Every FastLube, JiffyLube, QuickLube, SuperLube, SpeedyLube joint in Tennessee uses pits. The only ppl who use lifts are those like Firestone etc who do oil changes as a 'filler' and rely on actual mechanics to do the bill paying jobs.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Installed upper and lower tubular control arms from global west suspension and got the alignment done today. Rock solid ride and turning now. No more clank and clunk nonsense in the front end. Drove 20 miles to the bank and the motor died in the parking lot, and noticed the AFR @ 10.1. Came back out and started it up and it drove home without issue. Looks like I'm going back into the QFT 750 for secondary float and seats. It's nice knowing how to work on your car, but not every time you drive it! Fuel injection is sounding better these days...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jer,
It is a factory stock Monte Carlo SS wheel. It is faux leather wrapped (plastic). After a long search - I picked it up by chance around 2014 on eBay for about $20 and painted it to match with SEM interior paint.
There are still some available, but the horn button & emblem are hard to find ...
Thank You! I really like the style but prefer the feel of real leather. You got a great deal, though!:cool:

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Registered
702 Posts
200 per shelf on casters, 1000 per shelf on levelling feet.
1000 for the whole rack on casters
5000 for the whole rack on levelling feet
Those baker racks are cool, and a really good price, my issue with them is age vs heat. The shelving uses compression to force plastic inserts into the posts grooves, but after a few years sitting in hot garages that plastic gets brittle. So while normal use is fine, be careful with extreme use, I'd not stick anything close to rated weight on a shelf.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,581 Posts
Those baker racks are cool, and a really good price, my issue with them is age vs heat. The shelving uses compression to force plastic inserts into the posts grooves, but after a few years sitting in hot garages that plastic gets brittle. So while normal use is fine, be careful with extreme use, I'd not stick anything close to rated weight on a shelf.
I did the research on the trinityii dot com website. they test them to 1.5x rated weight. I'm not planning on putting heavy stuff on there but the bigger loading weight is nice to have as a higher safety margin. normally, I'd get heavy duty standing racks but I have an urgent need for rolling racks right now.
I hadn't thought about heat and brittle plastic so I'll keep an eye open for that, but it'll be easy enough to get replacement plastic inserts. (y)

·
Premium Member
10,167 Posts
My son started up the 78 Elk today. He thought it was running great. He stomped on the throttle and it responded great. He was impressed with the way it ran. He's the one who built the engine in highschool and also bought the 78 Elk that he put it in. This was awesome for me.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Had a squeak every time I hit the brakes, turns out it was the new Hellwig sway bar bushings. I lubed them up and all well. They are poly, if they were rubber I couldn't lube them, of course if they were rubber they wouldn't be squeaking in the first place..

·
Premium Member
10,167 Posts
My son started up the 78 Elk today. He thought it was running great. He stomped on the throttle and it responded great. He was impressed with the way it ran. He's the one who built the engine in highschool and also bought the 78 Elk that he put it in. This was awesome for me.
My son and I took it for a drive. We went through town, then out in the country. He was very pleased we took it for a drive. He was impressed how well it handled. We enjoyed the time together with his El Camino. I say that because I hope to give it back to him. I call it a project between the 2 of us.

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
443 Posts
Sorted out my headlight issue: brights only.
A few months ago I installed the relay power setup to power my headlights, but they were bright only. Did some checking and found the relay trigger (from the headlight switch, through existing wiring) was wired wrong. Ground & low beam reversed, on a DC circuit...
I've only driven my Caballero once at night, for a short distance. I'm sure others didn't appreciate the bright, white illumination of my H4 LEDs as much as I did. But now, I can see & cruise in the evening

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
333 Posts
Had the TCI Streetfighter TH400 transmission installed. It had a 32 spline shaft and a call to Gear Vendors got me back up and running with a new coupler and shims to reinstall the GV overdirive. Out for a test drive today. I have a lot more low end torque and can burn rubber pretty easy now. I could not do that with teh old TH400. Did a couple runs at 15.4 sec 1/4 mile. Damn, I still expect it to be faster. I was getting that before. I have a little emore twekaing to do. I am at 7000 ft elevation. Is this a 13 sec car at 2000 ft and less???

More tweaks and testing coming tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Had the TCI Streetfighter TH400 transmission installed. It had a 32 spline shaft and a call to Gear Vendors got me back up and running with a new coupler and shims to reinstall the GV overdirive. Out for a test drive today. I have a lot more low end torque and can burn rubber pretty easy now. I could not do that with teh old TH400. Did a couple runs at 15.4 sec 1/4 mile. Damn, I still expect it to be faster. I was getting that before. I have a little emore twekaing to do. I am at 7000 ft elevation. Is this a 13 sec car at 2000 ft and less???

More tweaks and testing coming tomorrow.
Elevation sucks power. When my cars lived at sea level keeping tires planted was always a challenge. Now that I’m at only 2,000’ elevation everything stays hooked up unless I really try to get loose.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Elevation sucks power. When my cars lived at sea level keeping tires planted was always a challenge. Now that I’m at only 2,000’ elevation everything stays hooked up unless I really try to get loose.
Yep. Higher you go, the less dense the air becomes, means less O² to burn, so less HP per explosion. Only way around that is any kind of forced air induction, to cram as much air as possible into the cylinders under pressure. Or, some of the older QJ's had a choke air nozzle at the back of the air-horn (you Do Not want that nipple hooked to vacuum), you could slap that on a bottle of compressed air like a fake nitrous shot and that'd give the carb higher density air to draw from. Not really forced air induction, but compressed air induction.

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
333 Posts
Thanks for the help. I did some more tweaking today and more test runs. My best is now a 14.6s in 1.4mile with 6.31s in 0-60mph. I am consistentant burning rubber and the brake stall was verified at 2700rpm. I am really happy with this setup. I just need to tweak the governor shift points now and keep trying some runs to get used to everything.

I also put on some Chemical Guys sealant and Butter wax on the paint last night. I am pretty sure this is how I got under 15s today. No doubt at all. :)

5241 - 5260 of 5450 Posts