El Camino Central Forum banner
5261 - 5280 of 5382 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yesterday, I made my third attempt at replacing the power steering pump. The first attempt went bad when I tried to bend the return tube so that it would clear the engine block. Second attempt turned out to be a wrong pump, also my fault. Third attempt the bolts protruding from the rear of the pump had the reservoir clocked clockwise too much.
Shoe Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Grey

Three BRAND NEW pumps, none of them right. What have I got to lose, I grabbed a rubber mallet and knocked the reservoir off of the first new pump. That came apart easier than I expected, so I knocked the reservoir off of the old original pump and installed the first new pump into the old reservoir. Rear protruding bolts were in the correct position for old reservoir. Everything went back together, then I also installed the new steering gear box that has been waiting for the new pump. I installed the PS belt, checked for leaks, and was satisfied that everything is OK.
Next, I installed the AC compressor. I had been waiting on that also because it mounts to the PS pump bracket.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

After the compressor was installed, I installed the condenser. I had to remove my cheap little air horns, and will relocate them today, as well as explore a new mounting location for the oil cooler.
As far as the freon tubing/pathway, everything is new except the evaporator, so I haven't decided yet if I will open the system and install the hoses now, or take them with me to the AC shop, and let them install them when they flush the evaporator. The compressor, condenser, hoses, and air dryer, are all still sealed from the factory, and have not yet had the plastic caps removed from the tubing ends.

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
350 Posts
K&N E-3700 air cleaner element pushed the flow through top inside of my cowl induction hood. Fresh air!!
Realized my TV cable was too long, shifts soft and transmission is heating up around town. I'll have to cut it and terminate the end somehow so I'll be able to adjust it. I have a Hayden trans cooler but will install a 160° thermostat and 14" electric fan as a precaution.
My biggest accomplishment was convincing the wife that the body work & paint estimate was NOT excessive, in view of what I want done. She said YES! To the body work & paint, that is. 🙂

·
Registered
688 Posts
Finished up all of the details that didn't get done yesterday. I relocated the oil cooler, relocated the air horns, then I went after the air dam. I am glad I did, because I got the condenser off of the rubber bushings yesterday when I was tightening the brackets down. I redid that while I was in there. The only thing left to do, is to reinstall the grill after the epoxy dries on three of the screw holes.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car

As I am looking at the front of the car, I think that I will buy a can of black paint to spray the oil cooler, and condenser. Will probably do that later when I run down to the gas station to top off the tank for this week.

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
325 Posts
Nailed it! After the fourth attempt, I now have the TH400 Governor set porperly. I have a 1-2 shift at 5400rpm and 2-3rpm at 5600rpm.

I went for a long drive today and everything is really running great. Consistently getting 14 second 1/4 mile runs. The Dragy and Dakota Digital timers are both about the same. Very cool.

Reactions: Rj143 and 5spdCab

·
Registered
688 Posts
I completed the relocation of the oil cooler and the air horns yesterday. I removed the grill to make mounting points for both the cooler, and for the horns. As I began installing the air dam, I could see that somehow the condenser was bumped off of the rubber bushings yesterday before I bolted it in. Fixed that as I was installing the air dam.
The grill had three mounting points broken, so I cleaned it up a bit, and applied some Permatex plastic weld epoxy. A 24hr cure time means I can't install the grill until tonight or later. I did a flat black spray job on the cooler and condenser, to hide them behind the grill.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Land vehicle

Edit: I guess that I had already posted about finishing this, but Oh, Well.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
549 Posts
Thanks for the help. I did some more tweaking today and more test runs. My best is now a 14.6s in 1.4mile with 6.31s in 0-60mph. I am consistentant burning rubber and the brake stall was verified at 2700rpm. I am really happy with this setup. I just need to tweak the governor shift points now and keep trying some runs to get used to everything.

I also put on some Chemical Guys sealant and Butter wax on the paint last night. I am pretty sure this is how I got under 15s today. No doubt at all. :)
Drop the tailgate.. 🤣

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
549 Posts
Hmm, maybe right about that. I always assumed that dropping the tail-gate on a truck added 11.7% more HP and actually having a cold-snack in the cup holder can drop a full second off the 1/4 mile times 🤣

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,386 Posts
Hmm, maybe right about that. I always assumed that dropping the tail-gate on a truck added 11.7% more HP and actually having a cold-snack in the cup holder can drop a full second off the 1/4 mile times 🤣
you're forgetting all the racing stickers. bonus if you actually have 12" tall japanese yellow kanji stickers!

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I think Robert @HKDUP87 dropped the tailgate in QtrTns. One reason was weight distribution. I don't think he found any advantage, so tailgate has been up last 4 years.
There is an aerodynamic reverse swirl as the air goes about a foot past the roof. It pushes down on the bed, before getting to the tailgate. Some of that swirl gets fouled by the roll cage. If he adds a lightweight bed cover that could help, yet it needs to be at least two part in order to fit around the cage. There is another swirl an suction behind the bed. That works like suction to the rear. You may have noticed that fast drag cars actually extend the upper exit plane further back to reduce that drag. An example would be Chris Day (Kamakaze) in his incident last year has running an extended cover. He also had multiple large fins to funnel the wind away at a faster rate.

Here is a 2018 look at the aero setup on Kamikze Chris Day's El Camino.

See Chris new ca. Chris good to see you recovered and moving well.

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
I completed the relocation of the oil cooler and the air horns yesterday. I removed the grill to make mounting points for both the cooler, and for the horns. As I began installing the air dam, I could see that somehow the condenser was bumped off of the rubber bushings yesterday before I bolted it in. Fixed that as I was installing the air dam.
The grill had three mounting points broken, so I cleaned it up a bit, and applied some Permatex plastic weld epoxy. A 24hr cure time means I can't install the grill until tonight or later. I did a flat black spray job on the cooler and condenser, to hide them behind the grill. View attachment 140663

Edit: I guess that I had already posted about finishing this, but Oh, Well.
Looking good, very nice progress.

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
I think Robert @HKDUP87 dropped the tailgate in QtrTns. One reason was weight distribution. I don't think he found any advantage, so tailgate has been up last 4 years.
There is an aerodynamic reverse swirl as the air goes about a foot past the roof. It pushes down on the bed, before getting to the tailgate. Some of that swirl gets fouled by the roll cage. If he adds a lightweight bed cover that could help, yet it needs to be at least two part in order to fit around the cage. There is another swirl an suction behind the bed. That works like suction to the rear. You may have noticed that fast drag cars actually extend the upper exit plane further back to reduce that drag. An example would be Chris Day (Kamakaze) in his incident last year has running an extended cover. He also had multiple large fins to funnel the wind away at a faster rate.

Here is a 2018 look at the aero setup on Kamikze Chris Day's El Camino.
View attachment 140677

See Chris new ca. Chris good to see you recovered and moving well.
Thank you for sharing these videos. They are fun to watch.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thank you for sharing these videos. They are fun to watch.
Here is a recent favorite of mine - this Elco is freaking awesome!
Note the carbon fiber bed cover / wing combo (built by Kevin @KSR)

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
Thank you for sharing. That was a very awesome run. That's very cool.

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
I got the 78 Elk outside. Washed the dust off the body and made it look very nice.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hello All Picked up my parts from the paint shop my tailgate front bumper fillers & emblem.. I have a little adjusting on the
tailgate to do. Really like the way it came out. Instead of closing up the front emblem hole I bought a broken one so
the original hole can still be used if needed. Next up installing an original floor shifter with console & steering column without shifter.

Russ

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
350 Posts
Nice job!
My secondary hood latch was damaging my external trans cooler. I had to relocate it. A friend stopped by that I hadn't seen since the 2 weeks to flatten the curve, so I put him to work. He insisted on straightening the bent fins on the cooler before we relocated it, I wouldn't have. He left before he could see it leaking, right where he had my plyers twisting the bent fins.
Amazon delivered my new cooler today. I don't plan to tell him about his handy work. I was happy to see him after so long.
Care to guess what I'll do for my Caballero tomorrow?

5261 - 5280 of 5382 Posts