·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,265 Posts

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
294 Posts
Wow tomicamino, Merry Christmas!
I'm sure it was difficult to sleep last night.

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
294 Posts
cyberray, I missed my friend I hadn't seen him in a while and won't tell him what he did... for me. But, NO. Nobody is "helping" me with this or the transmission fluid clean up. It remains a labor of love 💘

·
Registered
482 Posts
My transmission gave out again. This makes the 5th time this used T56 has failed. I purchased a brand new T56 from Tremec that’s based on the TR6060 design from 2019. It’s rated for 700 ft pounds of torque.

Side note:
The old one goes into 1st and 2nd. Makes a noise in both. Binds In 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th and reverse are all good. If you want the old one let me know. I’m not rebuilding it again. Will sell it for $400 plus shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
I also installed a bench flow rested quadrajet in place of the holley 600 double pumper that was on there. It now cold starts like a dream and doesn’t die when cold at a stop sign. WOT is good but needs leaning as it is quiet fat in those conditions. Cruise returns 28 mpg on highway. Could not be happier with the carb choice. I will be installing new transmission Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Registered
621 Posts
Nice job!
My secondary hood latch was damaging my external trans cooler. I had to relocate it. A friend stopped by that I hadn't seen since the 2 weeks to flatten the curve, so I put him to work. He insisted on straightening the bent fins on the cooler before we relocated it, I wouldn't have. He left before he could see it leaking, right where he had my plyers twisting the bent fins.
Amazon delivered my new cooler today. I don't plan to tell him about his handy work. I was happy to see him after so long.
Care to guess what I'll do for my Caballero tomorrow?
Ummm ...Just a wild guess, but - Install it without his expertise?

·
Premium Member
9,800 Posts
I tried starting up the 78 Elk again today. It wouldn't even turn over. So I put the battery charger on it. I'm just using the trickle charger first.

·
Premium Member
9,800 Posts
No lights were left on. The clock and interior lights weren't working either. So I switched to my big battery charger. With it charging the clock and interior lights are working. I had replaced a wire end that fits over the fuse for the torque converter switch. That fuse also has the wire end for the cruise control. That's the area I'll need to check first.

·
Premium Member
9,800 Posts
After charging it up, the engine started up very easy. I played with the switch for the torque converter,the amp meter didn't move. I then moved the switch for the cruise control and still no negative response on the amp meter. I then flipped both switches on and still no negative response on the amp gauge. I'm not quite sure how to tell if that's where the issue is.

·
Registered
763 Posts
How old is the battery? I just had a problem with my whole house generator. The battery turned it over but did not have the voltage to open the fuel solenoid While in crank mode.
Tom

·
Premium Member
9,800 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today. It ran excellent. I hope I can get it on the street next week. I'm going to check out the cruise control and the lockup torque converter switch to see if they will both work.

5281 - 5300 of 5322 Posts