El Camino Central Forum banner
5301 - 5320 of 5382 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today. It ran excellent. I hope I can get it on the freeway next week. I took it around the neighborhood in the 100* heat to test my kick-down linkage adjustment. It worked great. I wanted to test my new resonators on the hiway, but only went about 10 miles on city streets around my home at 45 mph max.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Finally collected all the new parts I needed and installed them for my a/c changeover from 12 to 134. Evacuated and charged and now have a/c for my drive to Florida mid October. Interior starts tomorrow. Have to work on ventilation system when dash is out for recap.
Tom
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
325 Posts
Installed Sanderson Headers on the Blueprint motor. These provide much better spark plug clearance. I also replaced the MSD gray boots with their high temp low profile red boots.

I also went for a short test drive today at 5000 ft and turned my best 1/4 mile time at 14.15s.

Vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive air manifold

Light Blue Azure Font Screenshot

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
350 Posts
Those Sanderson headers really fit well. I can see your #6 spark plug wire! Nice job & good pass

·
Registered
482 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today. It ran excellent. I hope I can get it on the freeway next week. I took it around the neighborhood in the 100* heat to test my kick-down linkage adjustment. It worked great. I wanted to test my new resonators on the hiway, but only went about 10 miles on city streets around my home at 45 mph max.
How many resonators do you have installed? I have four and two magnaflow glass pack style blow throughs. What kind of decibels do you have at 45 mph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
Reactions: sdcerreta

·
Premium Member
9,949 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today. It ran great. I can't get it on the road again due too many cars in my area, that includes the 5 at my house.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Where is your 1100 mile trip taking you?
Bought the El Camino in Florida 14 months ago. Had it shipped to NJ because I retired from there and was an electrical contractor that wires body and mechanics shops and made friends. My garage shop is in NJ. I am a resident of Florida but summer in Cape May area. I have this thing running excellently after 2 summers and I will drive it to Florida on 10/17. Film at 11.
Tom

·
Premium Member
9,949 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today and it ran great. Something interesting happened though. I have kept the trickle charger on it. When it started, the volt meter was over 13 volts. Then it suddenly dipped down to 10, then went back to over 13 volts. Then it did it again. Then stayed over 13. There wasn't any switches on. I played with the following switches, and it didn't do it again. I played with the headlights,the cruise control,the torque converter, turn signals, and air conditioning. During playing with the switches, it stayed above 13 volts.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,386 Posts
went and pulled parts off the flooded Caballero for those asking for them. pulled side trim, rocker panel trim, windshield washer arms and linkage.

5301 - 5320 of 5382 Posts