El Camino Central Forum banner
5341 - 5360 of 5370 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
325 Posts
Well, its finished now, but you could have used leverage to your advantage if you would have wrapped a ratchet strap around the tailshaft of the trans and pulled to the side.
I never thought of this. I was exporing ways of pushing the motor forward or torquing it to the one side, but I definately was afraid of losing the position of the tranny mount holes. I had the bolts out at one point and it was hard to get them lined back up, so once I did, I was too afraid of having another point on the vehicle that would not align. In the end, it seems like I got lucky and I should have taken it to the shop. But, the C clamp did work like a charm. Just wish I thought of that idea a couple days sooner. :)

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Registered
1979 Royal Knight Elcamino SS
21 Posts
I replaced my worn out broken vinyl console lid on my Elko with a piece of mohagany wood. It looks better than it did. I was trying to match my steering wheel because that is supposedly mohagany but it doesn't match. It's good enough for me tho.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Light Automotive design

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've had my '79 parked on the front lawn with a cover under our cedar tree for a few months while working on another project in the carport. The rainy season is starting in Seattle, and the cover looks like a kiddy pool over the bed area. I had to use a pump to get the water out, then I removed the cover, started the engine, backed it out the driveway, and took it for a spin to drop my time card off at work yesterday. It was about a 22 mile trip. When I returned home, I backed it in on the far side of the driveway by my neighbors house and put the cover back on it with the tailgate open so that future rain (as in today) would run out (my yard slopes to the west). I should not have any more rain collection in the El Camino until I can clean up the carport and park it back under there again (except I am beginning to consider enclosing the carport to be a storage shed, and making the garage into a shop area).
The '78 has only been driven a few times lately, on dry days mostly because the tires spin too easily on wet pavement.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I installed a tonneau cover to hold up the car cover.
Bonus is that it makes the car look better and all my stuff is hidden. Not secure, just hidden.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
531 Posts
Tempted to get a decent cover, but use some sheets of plywood over the bed to support the cover and help with rain/snow. Tonneau is on the expensive side right now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tempted to get a decent cover, but use some sheets of plywood over the bed to support the cover and help with rain/snow. Tonneau is on the expensive side right now.
A good cover is terrific. It grabs on and not even the strongest wind has blown even one corner up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I changed the belt and idler pulley. Man, driving in the country and Bam!, clink, clang..........
Pulled over, installed new parts and on my way in minutes. Good thing I had parts in stock.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,374 Posts
I changed the belt and idler pulley. Man, driving in the country and Bam!, clink, clang..........
Pulled over, installed new parts and on my way in minutes. Good thing I had parts in stock.
how far into your 6 hr drive did that happen? and was it out in the country when you did? and did any farmers on their tractors pull over to help you out?

·
Registered
242 Posts
how far into your 6 hr drive did that happen? and was it out in the country when you did? and did any farmers on their tractors pull over to help you out?
It was 7 hours in. (stopped a few times) On a country road. 4 people stopped.
I just pulled out the parts and tools and fixed her up. Lucky that the 11/16" fit the metric bolts and the nut on back didn't spin. The nut must have been sticky to the paint on the bracket.

·
Registered
242 Posts
BTW, anyone know of a tensioner pulley that is smooth and rotates clockwise to loosen?
I used the A/C one for my main drive system and I think it's too small.
The one for the main drive systen on my engine originally, is a ribbed style. That's why I chose the (wrong) A/C one.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
531 Posts
Wait. So you were 7 hrs into a back country road cruise when the belt and idler cut loose, and you just happened to have spares in the truck with you? Gallon of antifreeze, couple quarts of oil, Mebe even an air filter or some plug wires I could see, but who carries a 'just in case' idler pulley?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I drove my El Camino today for the first time since...sometime early 2020 when I started switching back to the TH350. That was a Quintuple Heart Bypass and a broken neck ago. It felt so good just to get it off the jack stands and out of the shop! I still have some tuning tweaks but I'm ready to enjoy driving it on the weekends instead of working on it...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wait. So you were 7 hrs into a back country road cruise when the belt and idler cut loose, and you just happened to have spares in the truck with you? Gallon of antifreeze, couple quarts of oil, Mebe even an air filter or some plug wires I could see, but who carries a 'just in case' idler pulley?
I see things........very strange, no?

Actually, I used the wrong tensioner so I carried a spare.
I don't carry oil or antifreeze or any normal stuff.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I drove my El Camino today for the first time since...sometime early 2020 when I started switching back to the TH350. That was a Quintuple Heart Bypass and a broken neck ago. It felt so good just to get it off the jack stands and out of the shop! I still have some tuning tweaks but I'm ready to enjoy driving it on the weekends instead of working on it...
That's great after the $%$% storm you've been thru lately.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,374 Posts
It was 7 hours in. (stopped a few times) On a country road. 4 people stopped.
I just pulled out the parts and tools and fixed her up. Lucky that the 11/16" fit the metric bolts and the nut on back didn't spin. The nut must have been sticky to the paint on the bracket.
so you had a spare idler pulley but you didn't have a second wrench to hold that nut? some people are too dmn lucky!

5341 - 5360 of 5370 Posts