El Camino Central Forum banner
5401 - 5420 of 5477 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yesterday, went to the hdwr store and bought some lumber to begin enclosing my carport. Somewhere along the line, I think that one of the exhaust hangers broke, because twice now since yesterday, I scraped badly entering a driveway. I am going to have to take a look underneath to see what has happened.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
709 Posts
Tore the airhon off the Quadra-frustration today. Snatched out the plugs for rich stop and tps. Had to grind down a 2.5mm socket because the airhorn is warped enough from the 1/2 bolt that the tps hook was frozen solid. Screw wouldn't budge.

Initial had the lean at 6-1/2 turns out, rich stop was 7/32 and iab was 1.6". Tps reads 0.8v-3.3v WTH! No wonder this thing stunk like gas all the time, wouldn't idle below 900rpm and would flood itself if left longer than 10mins at idle.

Got it all put back together, went to put on the throttle plate arm screw, none fit. Have 3 screws left and 2 are for the pull-off.

Tomorrow pull it all apart again and try to figure where I stuck the wrong size screw. That'll teach me to not get distracted while cussing up a storm over a p-poor rebuild.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ordered a new pack of fuel inlet gaskets. Finally got the carb back together, tps still reading 0.4-3.3, after unflooding, started right up and settled down after warmup to 800rpm. And promptly sprung a fuel leak at the inlet. Again. So tired of this carb. If it wasn't an E4me I'd dump it in favor of a Holley.

·
Premium Member
1979 Royal Knight Elcamino SS
67 Posts
I replaced my worn out broken vinyl console lid on my Elko with a piece of mohagany wood. It looks better than it did. I was trying to match my steering wheel because that is supposedly mohagany but it doesn't match. It's good enough for me tho. View attachment 141857
Added to my wood themed interior again.

I added a mohagany piece around the shifter. I'm no carpenter but I am a machinist, so I machined these wood parts on my Bridgeport in my spare time. I happy with how they turned out.
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
709 Posts
Got my dwell meter and fuel inlet gaskets in the mail yesterday. All excited to get her back on the road. Replaced the old crushed leaker, got dwell to 30 and took her for a ride. 5 miles in, smelling gas. Limped home, just to find gas literally pouring out of the inlet fitting. Threads are stripped at the carb. This carb Hates me, I swear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Installed a Craftec Cover on the 70 elky today. Did some modz to it so it lays flat.

57 Handyman, there is no new holes added to the rear deck area on the 68-72 cars. I am not sure what year yours is. The bolt holes for the stock trim piece is used. I did have to open them up to 5/16" but they were already there. You can see most of the install details on my modz page.

I also installed a ground jumper wire into the tailgate for the reverse lights today. After paint, the ground connection was tempermental so a frame jumper should resolve this problem.

View attachment 139604

View attachment 139605

View attachment 139606
Nice! I have one of these on my wish list...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I did a thing today... View attachment 142505 Gonna change the plugs plugs and stuff in the ole elco. 180hp and 16.90s in the quarter just ain't my style.
Out with the old 350/200m and in with the 400/400. I'm hoping 490 hp will let me break out of the 16 second quarters....fingers crossed View attachment 142509
Yep, that'll do it. Into 12's I imagine.
That's gonna be fun.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I did a thing today... View attachment 142505 Gonna change the plugs plugs and stuff in the ole elco. 180hp and 16.90s in the quarter just ain't my style.
Out with the old 350/200m and in with the 400/400. I'm hoping 490 hp will let me break out of the 16 second quarters....fingers crossed View attachment 142509
Hope you got the rear end for it. The stock 7.5" isn't built for almost 500hp, neither is the stock control arms, hope they are boxed at least.

·
Premium Member
10,188 Posts
I just started the 78 Elk again today. It ran great. I checked turn signals, and light's, they worked great. I hope to get it on the road again Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I tried to start it to go for a cruise getting ready for the St. Augustine trip and nothing. The battery is 2 years and 1 month old so I figured it was at the end of it's life. While cleaning terminals I noticed my positive cable was dangling and the connector was broken . Bought a new cable and took my cruise, the battery is fine!

5401 - 5420 of 5477 Posts