El Camino Central Forum banner
5421 - 5440 of 5477 Posts

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
709 Posts
Gotta love nickle and dimes, always the little things trip you up. 🤣

Ordered a new qj today. One that fits a Chevy 305-350 for sure. Looked up the old numbers, it's slated for a 86 Caddy, so no telling what it came from or how it's jetted. Warped airhorn and fuel bowl, stripped base screw, stripped airhorn screws, stripped fuel inlet, tps max 3.3v, I give up. Doubt I'd get any cash back on core return.. 🤣

·
Premium Member
1979 Royal Knight Elcamino SS
67 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
338 Posts
I have done some wonders with rattle cans too. great job!

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
709 Posts
Whelp, Christmas came early. Literally. Ordered the QJ on Sunday night, got here 3 days early. Wednesday lunch time. Gotta say that's a good start. Naturally just had to inspect it, it's straight. No tooling marks or hammer dents, or warpage at all, even in the weaker prone areas of the 1/2 inch bolts. It's basically pristine except for the cutouts for the idle mixture screws and the grind marks where they took out the plate screws to bushing the throttle shaft etc. Obviously going to require choke adjustments, fast idle etc, but so far it's looking very good for National Carburetors Inc.

·
Registered
87 TX import
121 Posts
Whelp, Christmas came early. Literally. Ordered the QJ on Sunday night, got here 3 days early. Wednesday lunch time. Gotta say that's a good start. Naturally just had to inspect it, it's straight. No tooling marks or hammer dents, or warpage at all, even in the weaker prone areas of the 1/2 inch bolts. It's basically pristine except for the cutouts for the idle mixture screws and the grind marks where they took out the plate screws to bushing the throttle shaft etc. Obviously going to require choke adjustments, fast idle etc, but so far it's looking very good for National Carburetors Inc.
Had a new qjet put on my 305 recently too. Cost close to a thousand bucks (shipped to UK), but it idles and doesn't stall out anymore, so there's that.

Do seem to get exhaust smell blowing into the cab with drivers window open. Not sure if that's normal or not. Feel it may be running a little rich, but the tailpipe is clear of soot so maybe not.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yanked the 305/th350 to get ready for an engine swap.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Engineering

5421 - 5440 of 5477 Posts