El Camino Central Forum banner
5821 - 5840 of 5874 Posts

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
988 Posts
I live in a small town. It's a blip on the map you only find if you zoom in. There's a ton of mid 80's and 90's Chevy pickups and even Camero's running around up here, so you'd think the O'Reillys would have stock in a 51046/PF25 filter, but nope, I got the only 51060 on the shelf, and it was in a dusty box. My only conclusion is that their engines got enough leaks that changing oil has become a useless endeavor, they just keep adding oil, the old oil getting gradually replaced...

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
913 Posts
That pin hole leak in Las Cruces was repaired in 15 minutes. The Mrs was a little anxious about taking this long of a trip. So, I came prepared. I had 3/8" hose & clamps and a hand full of tools

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
After charging the battery for 1/2 hour, I started up the 78 Elk and it ran great. So I’ll be looking for what made the battery go dead. I just seen that I had left the cruise control switch on. I don’t know if that caused the problem, but I’ll have to check it out.

·
Registered
87 TX import
188 Posts
After charging the battery for 1/2 hour, I started up the 78 Elk and it ran great. So I’ll be looking for what made the battery go dead. I just seen that I had left the cruise control switch on. I don’t know if that caused the problem, but I’ll have to check it out.
Repeated cold starts without a long run will have a detrimental effect on the battery.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Thank you for the information. I have been running it for about 15 minutes each time I start it, trying to warm it up and use some of the gas out of the tank. The gauge with the 17 gallon sender in the 22 gallon tank is now reading just under the full mark on the fuel gauge.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I turned mine, by default, back into a truck. It’s been quite a fun toy while my “truck” has been a Cummins TD RAM. But diesel prices being what they are, and my “truck” needs falling very low on the scale, I sold the RAM today for almost $5k more that what I paid for it 30k miles ago. So now my El Camino is once again my “truck” by default.

I can hardly wait to haul my first load of lumber…

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
988 Posts
Don't stop in Texas to say Hi!, you'll be there til sometime next week 🛑🚫🤣. It seems Texan elky owners are literally flying out of the woodwork lately, not just sprouting in drabs like the rest of the country lol.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,326 Posts
Took a little drive from Memphis to Amarillo. Heading back to San Diego

View attachment 147327
amarilla huh? you gonna drive the old route 66 or you going thru Albuquerque, Winslow AZ, Painted Desert, Flagstaff, Sedona? we tried Sedona 8 yrs ago when a big winter blizzard hit. got thru Prescott and Jerome and that was it.

5821 - 5840 of 5874 Posts