El Camino Central Forum banner
5861 - 5874 of 5874 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today and it ran great. I ran it till it warmed up. The fuel gauge was just above a half tank mark. I checked the temperature of the radiator and it was less than the temperature gauge read at 220*.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
988 Posts
Since the OEM airshocks wouldn't hold even 40lbs longer than 10 minutes, decided it was time for shocks in the rear (so far). Also decided it was time for new springs. Old OEM springs were just over 12", to say they lost their sprung is understated. New variable rate springs a hair shy of 15".
That made things interesting trying to get those back in and not pull the control arms. But after much "discussion" with a 1-1/4 x18" wrench, she's sitting pretty, about 4" higher than she was this morning.

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
423 Posts
Finally getting back on the road. I ripped the car apart on January 1 to install some big projects. Most of those are done, by I had some mechanical issues with the rocker arm studs breaking. 3 of them. Blue Print Engines sent me a new set of lifters, steel full roller rockers with 1.6 ration, pushrods and all the gaskets and lube. Today I got it back up and running and it feels great. Lots of power. I need to break it in for 500 miles before I do any 1/4 mile runs.

Today I also replaced some spark plug wires.

Since the first of the year, here is a quick list of modz:
Classic Auto Air AC
Noico sound deadening material
Morris Classic 3 point seatbelts
1" spacer lift to get more ground clearance and wheel alignment
New pipes. 2.5" all the way back with H pipe and Dynamax Turbo mufflers.
CTC center console and mounted PCS controller and added some USB chargers and moved in some other items that was making the dash look silly.
Dakota Digital Cruise control
CVF Hood hinges
Relocated gas tank vent
Moved DRL halos to the inside of the headlamp glass
Lokar Emergency brake
Replaced oil pan gasket and stopped all oil leaks. Yay. This was a PITA.
And today the new TMI bucket seats arrived. I hop eto get them installed before a car show next Saturday.

GM Stamped steel 1.5 ratio rockers with only 300 miles and studs keep breaking.
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle

Under warranty BPE sent a new set of STEEL 1.6 ratio rollers with new lifters, pushrods and lube and gaskets.
Motor vehicle Car Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive exterior

CTC center console with PCS shifter display and some accessories and USB charge ports.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Plant

CVF black hood hinges. These are smooth.
Hood Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold

DRL halos inserted inside the glass headlight beams. This looks way better now.
Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Cuisine

TMI buckets arrived yesterday. One month ahead of schedule. Just waiting on the door panels now.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bag Comfort Luggage and bags

Added 1" spacers in the rear and 1/2 spacers in the front. This was supposed to give an effective 1" lift in rear and front, but the stance is taller in the back. I am happy with the front and I have much better clearance over speed humps now. So, I decided to replace teh 1" rear spacers with 1/2" spacers. That should straighten out the stance.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
988 Posts
RoadToad84 said:
I was considering taking mine off so it's one less thing to potentially go wrong.

Any issues in doing this with a computer controlled set-up?

If it ain't broke, it don't require fixin. Potentially isn't positively. There's nothing about any engine or setup that's proof against potentially failing, so removing parts that work, on the premise they might fail, is entirely different to removal of parts that might have failed. And removing an egr from a ccc is not any fun for idle circuits after closed loop. You'd need to breather or block it off, both of which change vacuum characteristics depending on rpm.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today and it ran great. The fuel gauge is now just below a half a tank. Been so busy working on other things, I haven't had time to get it on the road.

5861 - 5874 of 5874 Posts