El Camino Central Forum banner
5901 - 5920 of 5937 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today and it ran great. The fuel gauge was on the qu tank mark today. Getting close to trying to install the Sniper EFI system. I ran it till it warmed up.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,505 Posts
finally got a chance to start the elkie up after a year. dead battery, so dropped another one. 2 tries at 5 secs each. gave the gas pedal 2 pumps and tried again, fired up and caught after 1-2 secs (y)
still got a squeal that went away after about 45 secs of warm-up, and still pumping a bit of blue-white smoke out the tailpipe. buddy was with me and the diagnosis is burning oil and he says a cylinder is missing. it's also not kicking down the idle after initial fire-up. so it runs but will need an old-school mechanic to take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today and it ran great. I hope to get some time to install the Sniper EFI system soon. I have a lot to do in my life at this time.

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
472 Posts
Got the TMI interior installed. Pretty happy with the way it turned out and the color match.

Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Blue Automotive design

Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Steering part Blue Motor vehicle

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am still waiting on some parts to arrive from backorder. This includes the headliner, Lokar cruise control cable and Baer rear brakes and master cylinder.

I have the carpet and line lock too. I plan to wait on the Line Lock until the master cylinder arrives.

Now that the interior is mostly complete I will start fitting the CTC center console. Once this is done and heads out for vynil, I will install the carpet. I also need to find a local welder that can rebuild the bucket seat brackets. These sit about 2" too low.

So, it's time for some car shows until the projects continue. I am also having a show pop-up display being made. I think I have enough of the essentials and photos to get this started.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,155 Posts
Fixed the GMC hood ornament finally. I found a OEM spring and retainer on ebay, got all excited. The problem being the loop on the emblem was busted in half. I tried steel stick, original jb, couple different high strength epoxy, even tried the pot metal weld stuff, nothing strong enough to hold the spring.

So took the dremel and flattened out both sides of the hook a little, then drill a hole completely through the base. Flattened out the center of the retainer, and now it works. So, back with the original emblem 😄

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,155 Posts
I tell ya, that OEM spring was the subject of vast amounts of verbal abuse, almost became a game trying to invent new words, phrases lol. Really needs 3 hands, two to stabalize the compression and 1 to flip the retainer outwards as the top of the spring forces the 2 legs into a U shape instead of the W it needs to be to clear the spring tip.

But the end result was worth it, hood doesn't look naked anymore. And there's a lot more metal at the retainer loop than standard, so breakage is doubtful now. The jb weld lasted all of 2 seconds, soon as the spring was compressed it let go, and I filled the hole solid and drilled out a new, smaller hole higher up, to leave the most material. That pot metal is just too weak to hold that kind of pressure for long.

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today and it ran great. It’s been a few days since I started it last. I won’t get to work on the installation of the Sniper EFI to many family things to accomplish.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Getting ready for two weekends of car shows in a row. I ordered a Retractable Show Display from Vengeance Graphix. It measures 3' x 6' tall.

Chris got this designed over the weekend and I approved the proof today. So stoked on this one. The transitions with asphalt and smoke are genius. He removed all my garage background mess too.

Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

Reactions: PCH66 and 78 Elk
5901 - 5920 of 5937 Posts