finally got a chance to start the elkie up after a year. dead battery, so dropped another one. 2 tries at 5 secs each. gave the gas pedal 2 pumps and tried again, fired up and caught after 1-2 secs
still got a squeal that went away after about 45 secs of warm-up, and still pumping a bit of blue-white smoke out the tailpipe. buddy was with me and the diagnosis is burning oil and he says a cylinder is missing. it's also not kicking down the idle after initial fire-up. so it runs but will need an old-school mechanic to take a look at it.
I am still waiting on some parts to arrive from backorder. This includes the headliner, Lokar cruise control cable and Baer rear brakes and master cylinder.
I have the carpet and line lock too. I plan to wait on the Line Lock until the master cylinder arrives.
Now that the interior is mostly complete I will start fitting the CTC center console. Once this is done and heads out for vynil, I will install the carpet. I also need to find a local welder that can rebuild the bucket seat brackets. These sit about 2" too low.
So, it's time for some car shows until the projects continue. I am also having a show pop-up display being made. I think I have enough of the essentials and photos to get this started.
Fixed the GMC hood ornament finally. I found a OEM spring and retainer on ebay, got all excited. The problem being the loop on the emblem was busted in half. I tried steel stick, original jb, couple different high strength epoxy, even tried the pot metal weld stuff, nothing strong enough to hold the spring.
So took the dremel and flattened out both sides of the hook a little, then drill a hole completely through the base. Flattened out the center of the retainer, and now it works. So, back with the original emblem 😄
I tell ya, that OEM spring was the subject of vast amounts of verbal abuse, almost became a game trying to invent new words, phrases lol. Really needs 3 hands, two to stabalize the compression and 1 to flip the retainer outwards as the top of the spring forces the 2 legs into a U shape instead of the W it needs to be to clear the spring tip.
But the end result was worth it, hood doesn't look naked anymore. And there's a lot more metal at the retainer loop than standard, so breakage is doubtful now. The jb weld lasted all of 2 seconds, soon as the spring was compressed it let go, and I filled the hole solid and drilled out a new, smaller hole higher up, to leave the most material. That pot metal is just too weak to hold that kind of pressure for long.