El Camino Central Forum banner
5941 - 5960 of 5993 Posts

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I don't mean for this to sound uncaring, but if all you do is start your truck 3 or 4 times a week, is it really an event? Some owners share their mods, improvements, participation in shows etc. Starting your truck after months or years is significant. A 4,000 mile roadtrip is significant. I love to celebrate success & milestones; share those. Install fuel injection & let's celebrate
For some of us busy folks having a few minutes to
start and make a trip around the block IS a huge event.

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
1,131 Posts
Fuel leak! The hose between the intermediate supply tubing and the tubing running through the frame to the front, had a minor, stinky fuel leak. I replaced the neoprene fuel line with steel braided/ neoprene fuel line & better quality hose clamps.
I was already smelling like gas, so I changed the Trick Flow fuel filter cartridge. After 5,000 miles, it was time to change it.
After all of that, I had to drive it, 30-40 miles :)

·
Registered
1987 Stock 305. TX car in the UK
236 Posts
Have carried out several 200+ mile drives in recent weeks. Has not missed a beat, despite the weeping water pump.

Car has now gone in to have the pump replaced, along with associated belts, and thermostat.

Yesterday, the driver's window dropped a clip or something as I was opening. Made a hell of a bang/clank and dropped at the back. Still operates up and down, but it's no longer a smooth downward action. Sits level, and seals though so not an immediate concern. I'll have to bite the bullet and get the door card off at some point though. Are parts available off the shelf for manual window mechs?

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
332 Posts
I was excited to start patching a large hole in the rear quarter. When I started chipping away at it, I quickly realized that the entire rear half of the quarter panel is just a 1/2” thick layer of bondo. I’m not even sure there is metal under there. Naturally I didn’t want the car to fall apart so I quickly mixed a quart of Bondo and covered it up again. I’m surprised I don’t have my own TV show on how to properly do body work. 🤣

·
Registered
236 Posts
Got the car back from having the new water pump and thermostat fitted. Has made a surprising amount of difference. I guess there was a lot of mechanical noise from the old worn pump which has now gone. The car is also running slightly hotter according to the temperature gauge. I'm assuming that's down to the 195 stat which looks to have replaced a 180.

System was also flushed as the old water was full of rusty sludge.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,673 Posts
Got the car back from having the new water pump and thermostat fitted. Has made a surprising amount of difference. I guess there was a lot of mechanical noise from the old worn pump which has now gone. The car is also running slightly hotter according to the temperature gauge. I'm assuming that's down to the 195 stat which looks to have replaced a 180.

System was also flushed as the old water was full of rusty sludge.
did they show you the old pump?

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I repaired my climate controller. Foraging the Pick-your-Part for the tiny plastic keeper paid off.
Vacuum is now directed to the various flapper doors and vent, heater and defrost all work. Next is freon & a higher output alternator. Hot August Nights won't be so hot when I drive to Reno

·
6,673 Posts
I didn't think to ask. I only had 20 minutes on my lunch break to get to the shop and back. Why do you ask?
couple of reasons
1) some unscrupulous mechanics are known to (not really) replace parts. in this case, that's obviously not an issue
2) personally, I like to inspect wornout parts so that I can get an idea of what caused the issue, see how long the prior part lasted. and if the same issue happens again, I can always compare my old part mentally (or via a smartphone pic) to the new part that just failed and see if it is the same issue

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Roadtoad posted earlier that his water pump was was weeping before he took it in & now it's quieter. I agree with your advice, avoid getting taken,, but in this case it looks like he had a bad water pump

·
Registered
236 Posts
I get you. I've had bad experiences before, but I trust these guys, and I also supplied my own parts.

In all honesty, I likely wouldn't know what was wrong from a visual inspection anyway, unless it was an obviously broken or damaged part. My mechanical skills are pretty much non-existent, which is frustrating to say the least. Some stuff I will attempt, but this would've definitely been beyond me

·
6,673 Posts
I get you. I've had bad experiences before, but I trust these guys, and I also supplied my own parts.

In all honesty, I likely wouldn't know what was wrong from a visual inspection anyway, unless it was an obviously broken or damaged part. My mechanical skills are pretty much non-existent, which is frustrating to say the least. Some stuff I will attempt, but this would've definitely been beyond me
water pumps are about as simple as it gets for a newbie mechanic like you. unbolt the old one, put on the new one. how do you know it's bad? well, you already know that, making noise and leaking fluid 😁
and if it's neither but still not cooling, then here's the other usual suspect...
Bicycle part Rim Auto part Machine Bicycle drivetrain part

time is money so if you don't have the time or knowledge , then you can always learn by inspecting parts. understanding can always come later (y)

·
Registered
236 Posts
water pumps are about as simple as it gets for a newbie mechanic like you. unbolt the old one, put on the new one. how do you know it's bad? well, you already know that, making noise and leaking fluid 😁
and if it's neither but still not cooling, then here's the other usual suspect...
View attachment 149058

time is money so if you don't have the time or knowledge , then you can always learn by inspecting parts. understanding can always come later (y)
It's definitely a confidence thing with me. I'm extremely wary of making things worse / breaking something. I was half tempted to give it a go myself, but chickened out and let them do it.

I want to replace the alternator next though, and I'll give that a go myself.

·
6,673 Posts
It's definitely a confidence thing with me. I'm extremely wary of making things worse / breaking something. I was half tempted to give it a go myself, but chickened out and let them do it.

I want to replace the alternator next though, and I'll give that a go myself.
bolt off, bolt on....

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,309 Posts
Took Blue for a road trip around the corner to get some groceries, and after getting home watched Mother Nature pressure wash it...
Wasn't as uneasy about the sudden Hard downpour as last week when it got pelted by hail. Yes, hail in Tennessee in July when the daily high was in the high 90's.

5941 - 5960 of 5993 Posts