El Camino Central Forum banner
6041 - 6060 of 6111 Posts

· Premium Member
894 Posts
Also sad to hear of another dead-as-shipped Sniper. I put that system on my car a few years ago and my first one wouldn’t work. I ordered a replacement and the second one has worked just fine. But it still lingers in the back of my mind that I’m one failure away from going back to a carburetor.

· Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,733 Posts
And what's really crazy is Holley is getting out of the carburetor business altogether, providing only repair parts, not full carbs. Soon enough the only thing Holley will be actually manufacturing IS the Snipers and similar EFI systems.

· Premium Member
894 Posts
And what's really crazy is Holley is getting out of the carburetor business altogether, providing only repair parts, not full carbs. Soon enough the only thing Holley will be actually manufacturing IS the Snipers and similar EFI systems.
Turns out that is a rumor that has been debunked by Holley. I too heard that a few months ago but they have since publicly stated that carburetors will continue to be produced with no end in sight.

· Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,733 Posts
Really? Phew, I thought it was real, seen multiple vids and articles mention it. A 5 year plan even. Lot of specifics for just a rumor, so that prolly added to the realism.

· Premium Member
12,165 Posts
I learned yesterday the fittings I used for the new fuel pump. The part that frustrates me, isn’t the had to change it, but I went to a lot of stores to get the fittings I needed to hook it up. If it wasn’t working, I’m glad they changed it.

· Registered
53 Posts
I'm a member of another forum that has a thread similar to this one. I'd like to start one here. It's been great over there, seeing all the projects other guys are up to every day! Anything goes as long as it's something you've done to your Elky. Pictures are always a plus if possible.

I'll go 1st. Today I took my elky to the shop next door and had my air conditioning fixed. It had a leaky hose. The hose is replaced, the system is charged, and now it's blowing nice and cold! 🍺

I didn't get to drive Stella today, and if I don't take her out tomorrow, it may be up to a week before I can drive again. I live in Colorado and we're getting ready for a 'polar vortex" with normal temps being sub zero. Stella doesn't like to start when it's too cold, and if there's Mag chloride or dirt on the roads from the snow... I won't take her out. So we'll wait for the next sunny day...and do a longer drive. Merry Christmas!

· Registered
737 Posts
After much research on setting timing and idle with a vacuum gauge, I was advancing my timing a degree or two at a time and tested it each time for max vacuum & hard starting.
It ran great and at 19 inches of vacuum.
Well needless to say - too much advance made it start really hard, and I thought I fried my PMGR mini starter. Nothing but a click when the key is turned.
Further investigation revealed this;
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel

It melted & blew the connector in half. It belongs on the bottom nut (arrow)
That was a new battery cable too. Yikes!

· Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Been putting off a new heater core for the ElCo since the last weeks of winter last year. Drove it to work a couple weeks ago at 39 degrees and was tolerable since I came out of the garage at 55 degrees. After this last blast of wintery wind I made a trip to Summit in Arlington today (luckily only about 20 minutes away) and picked one up! Not sure why I waited since it was only $33.99, but ya gotta like Summit Bucks! After that and tax, $6.79 out the door!

Hopefully I get it installed before the next cold front comes through, supposed to hit the 70's this week! Cheers!

Joe

· Premium Member
1,396 Posts
87, It’s not the price of the core. It’s the labor installing it.
Tom
Tom, being a GM tech since 1981 will come in handy then! I've been working on these things since they were new. That and I just opened my own shop last June and that's why I have the Summit Bucks piling up. Best part is it is an 87 and not my old 70, that one required removing the entire heater box from under the dash. The 87 is all outside and so much easier! Still wish I had that 70 model though!

Joe

· Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,851 Posts
Tom, being a GM tech since 1981 will come in handy then! I've been working on these things since they were new. That and I just opened my own shop last June and that's why I have the Summit Bucks piling up. Best part is it is an 87 and not my old 70, that one required removing the entire heater box from under the dash. The 87 is all outside and so much easier! Still wish I had that 70 model though!

Joe
what kind of work you doing, Joe? body, mechanical, or both?

6041 - 6060 of 6111 Posts