El Camino Central Forum banner
6081 - 6100 of 6111 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Yes living here in Vermont I have a lot of downtime. I stop driving in October, and an out on the road in April. My only concern is that they do not cross reference the GM seat code there are several choices, I want to be sure I choose the right style for my car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
53 Posts
I'm a member of another forum that has a thread similar to this one. I'd like to start one here. It's been great over there, seeing all the projects other guys are up to every day! Anything goes as long as it's something you've done to your Elky. Pictures are always a plus if possible.

I'll go 1st. Today I took my elky to the shop next door and had my air conditioning fixed. It had a leaky hose. The hose is replaced, the system is charged, and now it's blowing nice and cold! 🍺

All I can do at this point, is start her up, and sit. We have 4-5" of snow on the ground, and expecting more this coming week. I did get a carpet kit for my birthday, but it's just too cold to install. So here I am, dreaming of wamer days and longer drives.

· Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,733 Posts
Tore apart the new carb. Car ran decent, little hard on a start after sitting a few days, ran a very rich idle, but almost always got a check engine light at the last part of a 20mile trip. So what I found was the base was a little loose, the bowl was not adjusted even close, the lean/rich idle stops were way off, it was missing the baffle between the accelerator pump and bowl and there was No hook on the needle, it was just sitting in the seat doing nothing.

Explains why I was getting 4-6mpg, idle set screws did nothing really and the CEL was most likely when the ECM tried futilely to go into closed loop.

Also took the time to manufacture some tools to do the setting, since the originals either cost a small fortune or cannot be found.

· Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,733 Posts
Drove better and smoother, but gonna give it a couple-3 days just to see how it reacts. Before, it'd take a double pump and a good 10 second crank, the bowl was prolly flat empty as it was when I pulled the airhorn today. But after it ran a bit, went to the store and I swear it starts faster than the wife's fuel injected hemi. If you turn the key and count to 1, you'll burn the starter gear lol.

Only thing left is a 20mile drive, see if it'll finally drop into closed loop so I can set the dwell.

· Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,851 Posts
flushed some nasty coolant from the system. went from medium brown to mostly clear while running the garden hose. not positive but based on the exhaust smoke I may have a blown head gasket. I'm pretty sure the valve seals are gone. now I'm thinking I'm going to eventually swap the engine so no point on working on it. so I started working on the flood Elkie trailer project instead.

got two of the body bolts out (front driver, psgr sill), while the other two started spinning on me (front psgr, driver sill). as soon as I get those out, the front half of the cab comes off (already discon'd parking brake and master cylinder). once the cab is off, gonna tilt it up to get easier access to underneath to remove other parts like exhaust, lines, gas tank, etc.

anyone need parts? I've already cut across the floorpans at the dashed yellow line

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
69 El Camino Hugger Orange 454
23 Posts
Well, it's only been a little over a week since I took delivery and Sunday afternoon after 2 days of neglect she retaliated by refusing to start. In fact she gave me the totally silent treatment. I applied the Mofee battery charger and shocked her back into compliance and took her for a short ride. She pulled the same stunt this morning so I went to Auto Zone and bought a battery tender and hooked her up to Life Support. I also bought a bottle of Sea Foam as advised by the gang at the Hot Cars and Chili event Saturday in North Palm Beach. We have a meeting Wed morning with her new mechanic and I expect her to behave from here on out...wish us luck, LOL!

· Premium Member
894 Posts
Too Funny! Maybe I'll try that since I also have a vette and not enough garage space.
I might be a bit concerned about a leak. Got a cover for the Corvette?
Yeah, but the paint is garbage and the El Camino doesn’t leak. So nothing to worry about. It’s only for a day or two. I’m picking up my four-post tomorrow then I’ll feel a bit better about the stacking situation.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
I got started on pulling the top end off the 350 in my Elco over the weekend after an issue. I figured while it's apart I'm going to change the oil pan gasket and front timing cover this evening and send the new heads off for a little milling work this week. With any luck she'll be back up and running in the next week and a half! Ignore the Pontiac carcass and LS parts in the background.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

6081 - 6100 of 6111 Posts