El Camino Central Forum banner

What have you done to your El Camino today!

718K views 7K replies 689 participants last post by  Indianjohn 
#1 ·
I'm a member of another forum that has a thread similar to this one. I'd like to start one here. It's been great over there, seeing all the projects other guys are up to every day! Anything goes as long as it's something you've done to your Elky. Pictures are always a plus if possible.

I'll go 1st. Today I took my elky to the shop next door and had my air conditioning fixed. It had a leaky hose. The hose is replaced, the system is charged, and now it's blowing nice and cold! :beer:

#2 ·
I also am a member of "the other forum". Howdy Mike:beer:

I'm getting ready to go back to work for 3 weeks today so didnt get anything done.

Yesterday I got my A/C hoses crimped, Trans cooler lines and new alum radiator installed.

#6 ·
Great start guys! Today I'm having the glass shop in my center install some "guide blocks" that keep my windows pressed against the foam seals(mine were broken). Hopefully this stops the air leaks I have on the freeway. :beer:

#396 ·
Ha!
In the 50's that kind of leak would have been a feature.
Astro cool or something :nanawrench:
Nothing worse than an Elky that whistles while it works!

:smileyb:

#8 ·
95* and sunny
!!too dang hot!! i do know that.
just got done taking out my 8in subs and putting one 10in sub. bought the 8in because they fit in the smugglers box but they were cheaper pyles and did not last long. put only one 10in back in behind passengers side and it is enuf for now(actually too hot to pull both seats out today).had to do it while wifee was asleep cause i just had a heart-attack on the 31st and she is making me take it easy till i see doc again next week

ron

#9 ·
Cool and interesting thread!!

Currently fabricating side skirts to compliment my side exhaust tips. Sort of Lamborghini style. Got the main mold done with resin and glass.....get ready to shape and bondo this week. Also Going to change oil to Royal Purple products as well.

#10 ·
Just went and bought a used 350 SBC 4 bolt main long block for a new engine build to replace the original 305. Bring on the horsepower! (and the credit card bills) Summitt, Jegs, and Pace will be my friends in the coming months. :nanawrench:

Next, I need to replace the u-joints, as they're clanking and clunking and need to be replaced yesterday!

#4,472 ·
Just went and bought a used 350 SBC 4 bolt main long block for a new engine build to replace the original 305. Bring on the horsepower! (and the credit card bills) Summitt, Jegs, and Pace will be my friends in the coming months. :nanawrench:

Next, I need to replace the u-joints, as they're clanking and clunking and need to be replaced yesterday!
Go to racingjunk.com You can find all kinds of deals, if you want horsepower and dont want to spend a mint.. Lots of good used racing stuff

#44 · (Edited)
I think it looks great Good job post a picture when you get it in the car. :You_Rock:
After a gazillion attempts of getting my new smuggler's box curtain "just right", I finally have it done!
I had to end up using my trusty hot glue gun to attach it along the top rail because I can't find snaps to fit the originals. I attached it along the bottom and sides with velcro to keep it from flapping in the wind while driving with the windows down-should've used a heavier material.
All in all, I'm happy with it.

#18 ·
this past weekend I installed a blower, rebuilt the 200r4, built a double hump cross member, installed a Grand National posi, replaced all the window rubber and weather stripping, and then I woke up... I really didn't do anything but i wanted to... this next weekend I'm replacing my power steering pump and related hoses. FO REAL!! I can't run the a/c until I get that fixed.

#20 ·
I.m on break from extra physical labor for a few weeks. Enrolled on my first website forum ,this 1. Been trying to help a few people out with knowledge that I can't take with me when I die. Should of done this sooner. This is also my excuse to learn to type. Saving up energy to finish my hood electrically lifting over my windshield,remote controlled, etc.:secret:

#21 ·
SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME TRYING TO FIND THE SOURCE OF A STRANGE INTERMITTENT SOUND IN MY DRIVE TRAIN.iT WAS 94 DEGREES HERE TODAY SO PATIENCE RAN SHORT. I ALSO NOTICED A SLIGHT VIBRATION ON MY HURST SHIFTER AS I DRIVE DOWN THE HIGHWAY. I AM GOING TO HAVE IT CHECKED FOR BALANCE AFTER A BLASTING OR HAVE A NICE ALUMINUM SHAFT MADE.

#25 ·
Last week I installed a t56 trans and new headers yesterday I changed valve cover gaskets

#26 · (Edited)
You are tempting the "breakdown gods" when you make such smug comments ! Lol

'smart because i bought a mechanically sound car.' nothing lasts forever

the chances are some day when i am sitting around sipping on a cold brew watching nhra videos you will be fixing your ride !! .

#46 ·
Ha, chances are I'd be spending big bucks having it fixed by someone else because I don't have the slightest clue about cars. :???:

Many posters on this thread have mechanically sound cars, but enjoy modifying or improving on what they've got. Others enjoy restoring a car that may have seen better days in the past. Miller why don't you show us what you've got? :beer:
Just waiting on a few clips to put my trim on. I want to have her looking visibly complete.

In other news, I tried to put some anti-theft lock pins on it, but they were too short. does anyone know where I can get some straight door lock knobs that fit on the 5th gen's stock pin?

#29 ·
Today i tried to start mine up to move her , She wouldnt crank... got angry , kicked the wall.. hurt my foot.... put her in neutral and gave a good push to the rear bumper and let her roll forward.. Just to notice that i never put the starter back on.... oy vey

^BTW , she didnt even start when i bolted the starter back on... So truly , **** this engine , im gonna drop the 350 in anyway.. " having some minor problems getting the 4.3 to run correctly... "