·
Registered
1967 El Camino, 327 AT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car looked like this when I got it.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate
n
The PO reaaaly liked red, lol. Also removed the license plate recess and pc'd the bumper. The grille and trim were
painted red/black. I stripped them ( the grille only partially) and polished the aluminum. The face of the grille above the
headlights had been bondo-ed to fill in the holes for an emblem. I should have looked more closely at the back before
stripping. Now I had to repaint it, or buy a new grille, but it was very straight...
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel Grille

So I covered that top section with "chrome" vinyl wrap. Of course it doesn't look exactly like chrome (boy, the plating
industry would not appreciate that, lol) but very much like anodized aluminum, so it blended nicely with the surrounding
area. I left the center section alone, but was not pleased.
Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel

This is the final product. I changed the pattern of the black areas on the headlight extensions, and expanded the use
of the wrap to the grille horiz. bars.
Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Here is a section I left alone for comparison, where the wrap is cut on a diagonal. The red and black on the verticals is
the only painted part I left untouched.
Comments are welcome, either way. I'm not a snowflake. My wife and one of my friends like the red bumpers. I'd prefer
chrome, but the expense of rechroming is not worth it, and new repros would leave me trying to sell red ones that have
not broad appeal, and $800+ less to spend on more important improvements. I also consider painting the bumpers C5
Corvette Spiral Grey a viable option for providing contrast at reasonable cost. The red is C5 Victory Red, BTW.
TIA for your opinions/suggestions.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have to agree. I love red -but that is a lot of red!
What you have done is unique and looks great!
I went with monotone white in the 90's and have recently decided that I like some chrome trim also. Great job, and thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1967 El Camino, 327 AT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
Elcodude, congrats on your long term ownership. All l could hold onto that long is a pair of
boots and motorcycle jacket, lol.

·
Registered
1966 Chevy El Camino; 283, TKO 500,3:36 posi.
391 Posts
Jeff, I like it.
On a side note, do you ever drive up to Scottsdale Pavilion or the East Valley Cruisers for the local gatherings?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Everything you did is a big improvement!
I would lose the painted bumper as well, but I am really fond of the 60's era styling; I know the "everything in color" style from the 90's on is really popular these days but I still love the 60's chrome ;)

·
Registered
1967 El Camino, 327 AT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff, I like it.
On a side note, do you ever drive up to Scottsdale Pavilion or the East Valley Cruisers for the local gatherings?
Yes, I have frequented Pavillions for many years, but not in the EC yet. Still want to make a few refinements before the debut. 😎

1 - 15 of 15 Posts