El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
X2 on BarKeepers Friend. Its been making wine glasses sparkle for decades. And my auto glass as well. However, your scratches sound beyond its capability.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm going to try BarKeepers before replacing my windshield. Night driving is hard with scratched up windshield and 60 year old eyes lol.. Thank you

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
There is sandpaper for glass scratch removal to use in stages before polish, but this should still only be reserved for old hard to find glass only . Once you scratch all the glass up coarse enough to get down to scratches you can feel with your nail, then you have all sorts of scratches to progressively remove.

Everything has to be done in proper progressions in any sort of scratch removal or it's a waste of time & product. Any paste polish is a total waste of time when you can feel scratches with your fingernail unless you sand first.

The whole point in why it's so time consuming is you don't actually EVER remove the scratch, you remove all the surrounding material down to the depth of the scratch. End of story......

·
Premium Member
3,135 Posts
Barkeepers may work fine on your wine glasses ,BUT, you don't look thru the glass while driving either ! We use BK on our sinks and such but I sure wouldn't use it on a glass I had to look thru at night with oncoming traffic:sad:

·
Registered
665 Posts
As I said, Barkeepers isn't made to remove the scratches described here. However, I'm been polishing/cleaning my auto glass for years with it and have never experienced any problems looking through it at night into on-coming traffic. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’ve been following this thread for awhile and had an opportunity to document my results.
The scratch will come in out, however the window will be permanently distorted unless the entire panel is blended.
This is a Lotus Europa rear window that had deep scratches from a negligent sander. After watching several tube videos and getting next to nowhere with with the felt buffer. My inspiration sander scratched it sander will get out. With my trusty harbor freight polisher sanded the scratches out starting with 280 grit wet, and progressed up to 5000 aided with serium oxide.while glass panel was laying of a wet flat surface. Time on panel about 2.0 hours where previous work had little if any progress.
The panel is clear and free of the funhouse look while looking thru it .
From the side view you can see an indent
Of the repaired area.
Judge for yourself

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
I’ve been following this thread for awhile and had an opportunity to document my results.
The scratch will come in out, however the window will be permanently distorted unless the entire panel is blended.
This is a Lotus Europa rear window that had deep scratches from a negligent sander. After watching several tube videos and getting next to nowhere with with the felt buffer. My inspiration sander scratched it sander will get out. With my trusty harbor freight polisher sanded the scratches out starting with 280 grit wet, and progressed up to 5000 aided with serium oxide.while glass panel was laying of a wet flat surface. Time on panel about 2.0 hours where previous work had little if any progress.
The panel is clear and free of the funhouse look while looking thru it .
From the side view you can see an indent
Of the repaired area.
Judge for yourself
David,
wow, that is sure some fine results. Man, sounds like ur in need of a vacation after that. May i suggest Hawaii!, i can come pick u up at the airport and show u how bad my rear window is after i tried the powder mix (guy @ safelite gave me) and some other liquid paste the more i buffed/polished,etc. the worse it got. Oh, sorry got off track about inviting u here, you'll enjoy Hawaii. P.S.- dont forget to bring your tools of the trade when you come. LOL

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for the invite . My friends want my wife and I to go to diamond head or marble head or something like that they have a place . I’m an airline employee also. ?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks for the invite . My friends want my wife and I to go to diamond head or marble head or something like that they have a place . I’m an airline employee also. ?
LOL, yea, we have some pretty peculiar names,their pronunciation and instructions for directions to boot. Its Diamond head( the icon of Hawai'i), one of a few extinct volcanos. you drive through a tunnel on one side to get to the caldera(center of the crater), now your in the state park area,there is a walk path and steps (very vertical) which leads you to the rim (top of the volcano), once there, you have a awsome panoramic view of the ocean, waikiki, Honolulu, and the Wai'anae/ Ko'olau mountain ranges.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts