El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Im sure some of you guys are screaming at your computer right now, but, what is a speed shop? My mom has one not too far from her and I wanna know what to expect before walkin in... I dont wanna make the bell ring and people stare at me because its some sort of members only thing...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Unless they sell little black capsules and theres a girl named Molly behind the counter, a speed shop is where hot rodders get together and try to out lie the others!:nanawrench:
It's actually where speed freaks buy, sell and repair cars and parts and have a few drinks. There was always speed parts hanging on the walls that fit a flathead Ford. Calendars with pretty girls and even prettier cars hanging everywhere that were 20 yrs out of date. A side loaded Coke machine that was so cold that when you opened the 6oz. bottle, the contents turned to ice. There was one in my home town, Claremore, Okla. that always had guys and a few gals in there. I don't know how anything got fixed cause all of the mechanic's sat around and bs'd all day. A mechanic, for you young guys, is one that actually finds and repairs problems without the use of a diagnostic machine. He may sometimes need to use his hand held Sun machine though. Now days they are called technicians! Kinda like the trash men are now called Sanitation Engineers..

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Sir, do you know the handshake?"
"Sure!" (Fist bump)
Guy fist bumps me in face

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Jarhead you called that one right. When you go in find the oldest guy and ask him your question. He probably knows the only dumb question is the one that is not asked. May not give you too hard of a time.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Unfortunately a Speed Shop is now a mostly extinct type of shop, the ones that still exist are places where you can buy performance car parts at significantly higher prices than you can get them online :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are three in my town alone.

They are a place where everyone is friendly. Everyone has a common interest. and the worst part everyone has an opinion. Bench racing central but have cars that can usually back it up.

One of my favorite places to spend a friday/saturday night. Always a good time and someone to race.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Theres a speed shop about 2 miles from me and heres a picture of it..

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Don't forget the secret handshake when you walk through the door. You do know it, right?:poke:
...and the purpose of a muffler beiring...:poke:

·
Registered
74 Posts
What Is A Speed Shop?

An endangered specie for the most part. If you have one in your town you should consider yourself fortunate & try to support the shop the best that you can.

~JM~

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hennessey Performance huh....speed shop or gear head alter of ungodly amounts of power. Id love to see inside that place. :secret:
A buddy of mine is the shop manager and he sets up all the tours of the building. Its a complete shop. The have a tuner school there and there's a 1/4 mile and road race track attached to the property. These cars are running all around town all the time. Its kinda fun.. if you ever make it to Houston, gimme a heads up and I'll get a shop tour.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Will do...that'd be an awesome opportunity. However being stationed in GA makes it unlikely I'll make it that far west until next PCS. :neutral:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Back in the day,decades ago, speed shops were where people went to buy,sell and swap performance goodies and learn how to go faster, make more noise and trick out their ride. At speed shops you could find knowledgeable people who could recite cam timing, compression ratios, rear end ratios. Many offered machine work, trans rebuilds, carb mods and most had a Sun distributor machine to recurve the spark advance. It was also a great place to arrange street races and brag and argue about who had the baddest whip.
Speedshops, for the most part, have been replaced by auto parts chain stores stocked with chinese crapola parts anb staffed by poorly trained clerks, most with no motorhead interes or mechanical
Talent or experience. If they cannot search out your item on their puter they are useless. It's a different world from the hotrod era I grew up in, back when we all zoomed around in our after high school with our "squeeze" under our right arm. Flathead Mercs and Fords with glasspacks, cruiser skirts and lakes pipes were the norm. Atlas Bucron tires were the softest sticky tires. Fuel was 29.9 a gallon. Let's not forget the Marlboros rolled up in our T shirt sleeves and those nifty "necker knobs"!
Yup, those were the good 'ol days!:poke:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
We have the owner of a well known speed shop right here amongst us!
Fastside aka Alfred Whiteside owns and operates what I grew up as knowing a Speed Shop to be right here in my town.
I've even had the pleasure to meet Mr. Whiteside in person recently. He's quite the legend, and if you go on his website, you can see what I mean.
(and a real nice guy to top it all off!)
You can check out his website here: http://www.whitesideracecars.com/

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Theres a speed shop about 2 miles from me and heres a picture of it..
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-54734705425182/shop-outside.jpg

Is there always a Star Bucks in the same parking lot? Corral in back or the local bar with the swinging door's with Daisy Duke with the picnic table red and white shirt tied up to her belly button? Just wondering all I have are rice burner shops and taco trucks on every corner.:poke: It's tuff to try and pick out some rims that you can touch they start at 20 inches in L.A.

Here's a good one remember the Indian with the tear running down his cheek and the feather? It was for awareness on pollution. I watched a special on PBS he was Italian not Indian and the outlaw Josie Wells was a supporter of the(you have seen blazing saddles) Not a cowboy. I never knew till last night. Just thought I would share that doesn't mean anything to me just interesting.:beer:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts