El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As summer is coming, and i graduate soon, im gonna have a full time job working on a farm. This means a decent amount of money will be entering my bank account, and i'll be saving up for an engine/tranny.

I'm really interested in a LT1, due to its decent mileage/power and i want to know what im going to need in order for everything to fit. i know im gonna have to get a new driveshaft, but thats all i know.

I was thinking i'll need stuff like tranny brace, CPU reprogramming, ect.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Both acauth1 and I have done this. I just got my Elky back on the road last week. If your Elky is currently a V8 the LT1 will use the stock motor mounts. Depending on the transmission you want to use you will need a new tranny crossmember. I used the 4L60E that I got with my LT1 so I needed a new crossmember. A new driveshaft will depend on which tranny you go with. Again depending on which tranny you may need to make some changes for shifting the tranny. I used a 4th gen Camaro shifter. To do it right you will need a new gas tank with baffles, a new tank sender, electric fuel pump, power wire for the fuel pump and a fuel return line. Custom programming for the ECM like I did or get Tunercat and do it yourself like acauth1 did. This will give you an idea of what's in volved.

When you start looking for an LT1 try and get one from a Corvette. It will put the AC compressor on the drivers side so you do not have to notch the frame on the passenger side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you will need to buy: whatever your elky doesnt have. you might want to go for a 'piggyback electronics' setup where there are no remote computers and everything you need is in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
....why the hell would you use an lt1???? just get a 383, a holley, and a 350 trans. screw milage if you wanna go fast. get a good set of heads, a roller cam, and a stout bottom end... you can even use lt1 rods if you want. EFI doesn't help much unless you're gonna run a turbo or blower, you can run more boost. screw lt1s, buy a camaro if you want one.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
EFI is very helpfull if you want power and gas mileage. The LT1 is a great engine with plenty of torque. So much so that at this point doing 55-60 on the freeway I can make my rear tire spin by giving it more then 3/4 throttle. I've talked to Duke on this board that has an LT1 and the eaton posi and 3.42 gears that I'm going to be installing and he has told me he has the same problem with traction.

So as it is with an LT1 I can go fast and get good gas mileage. 8)

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you don't have posi, spinning the tires doesn't count. If you want milage and power get a GN motor. EFI gives you a little more torque, but it's definitly not worth shoe horning an LT1 in there. Unless you're doing it for show and tell, which is retarded, avoid it. If you want good milage get a honda.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just finished puting an LT1/4L60E in a 90 Jag XJS. Absolutely Awesome! Best advice on installing one.... buy a complete donor car. Don't try to piece one together. I used the complete wiring harness, engine, and trans from a 95 Caprice police car I bought for a donor. When installing, don't get discouraged with the electronics. Engine management is separate from the engine information systems. Use your existing Camino oil and temperature sending units in the new engine for the dash guages in your Camino. The temperature and oil pressure sensing units are for the computer. All Computer controlled devices can remain and be used on the LT1. For example, I used the oil pressure and temperature guage sending units from the Jag and installed them in the LT1. The only modification I wired from scratch was the check engine light. I also added the diagnostic link connector and installed the oxygen sensors in the exhaust. If you would like more info, please email me anytime. One additional comment - carburetors are really just out dated slobber boxes........

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
I have another 95 Vette LT1/4L60E combo I am considering dropping in to my 86 XJ6. What engine/trans kit did you use for mounts?

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
TheCaminoKidd said:
If you don't have posi, spinning the tires doesn't count. If you want milage and power get a GN motor. EFI gives you a little more torque, but it's definitly not worth shoe horning an LT1 in there. Unless you're doing it for show and tell, which is retarded, avoid it. If you want good milage get a honda.
I have a 96 Corvette LT1/4L60E combo in my 83 Elky, 3.73 Posi. None of which was "shoe horned" into it, it all fits quite nicely. And one of the nicest things is being able to cruise 85mph turning 2500rpm in 4th. Smoking the tires isn't a problem either. I cut my teeth on carbed 283's, 327's, 350's and the like and was rather tired of playing with carbs. I built this car with performance and streetability in mind without sacrificing economy. Granted, it isn't the fastest car on the road, but then again, I'm not a teenager anymore either. I have been working on customer cars for over 28 years, don't what to play with mine every other day. And when and if I feel the urge to tinker, I can always plug in m laptop and change the fuel maps and the shift points to tweak out a little more power.
If you want to share some practical experience that's a great thing, if you want to be insulting or infer that someone is retarded, you can find several other boards on the net which will tolerate that behaviour.
We are all here to share experience, stories and lend a hand now and then.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replies, but i posted this a long time ago. i already have another engine in the works.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Elky85 said:
thanks for the replies, but i posted this a long time ago. i already have another engine in the works.
:oops:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't stop on his account, I am in the middle of the process so any input would be great. I know I am dragging up an old thread with this post but I have one in the electronics section and the responses in this on are also very helpful thus far.
krok

1 - 12 of 12 Posts