El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, this is a new one for me. Anyone know what this 2 prong sensor is towards the top of the brake pedal arm? There is a rod on the back of it that is pushed onto it by the pedal arm when the pedal is released and returns to the resting position. There is a connector nearby that fits but was not connected.

First phase of electrical work is removing the seemingly 10 miles of aftermarket powe and speaker wire that dead ends to where I imagine an amphitheater type sound system was. Trying to find what’s what and keep what’s necessary.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,556 Posts
X3,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Of all places, THIS (the white wire on the connector) is where someone chose to strip to connect a power wire for some component of a previous sound system. I’ll admit I’ve done some darn decent redneck engineering, but I’ve never seen anything like the wiring on this vehicle!

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,556 Posts
Yeah I bet they were going through rear bulbs everytime they hit the brakes lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually yes. Well, at least 1 side. The other I believe just needs a bulb, or possibly bad wiring. Have only had the car home since Saturday so haven’t dug too deep into it yet.
Makes me wonder, since this sensor wasn’t connected, how the brake lights are working? No telling with the jacked up wiring job this thing has!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Could it be a switch for the torque converter lock up? 200C transmissions had lockup converters and pressing the brake pedal disengages it.
Patrick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually yes. Well, at least 1 side. The other I believe just needs a bulb, or possibly bad wiring. Have only had the car home since Saturday so haven’t dug too deep into it yet.
Makes me wonder, since this sensor wasn’t connected, how the brake lights are working? No telling with the jacked up wiring job this thing has!
Some times the plug hasn't enough grip to stay plugged in, or the wire on the might be a little to short, to were you depress the brake pedal, and there is not enough play in the wire and "POP" out comes the plug.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have cruise control installed on it ?
No. It is definitely the brake light switch. Just trying to figure out how brake lights are working with it disconnected. Not loose, like the connector is hanging there 3-4 inches from where it’s supposed to plug in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts