El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
It iis used mainly to pull panels/sheet metal back out. I have seen it used for light frame straitening.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wow, that's a dinosaur! Early days frame straightner, uses a 10 ton porta power from the main bar to the vertical arm. This was what my dad used back in the early 70's, I used it a couple of times. Biggest problem was having enough chains and blocks of wood to tie it down securely.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Something they used in the days before lasers were used to straighten frames.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Something they used in the days before lasers were used to straighten frames.
I guess you're kidding but just to be sure. There is no laser straightening equipment, never has cant imagine there ever will be. There is laser measuring, shows you how it's damaged and where it needs to go to. To repair the damage though, it's just good old tonnage that does that.

·
Registered
512 Posts
along with laser measuring, isn't there alot of in the way of jigs and other specialty tools for the jig that are used today?
Yes there are numerous ways to measure frames and unibody from hang on gauges to a simple tram. The jigs you're speaking of are specific to certain types of machines, ex. Celete benches use a jig system for Mercedes, if I remember correctly they went out of business cause they were so expensive and not any easier to use. You had to had a very expensive jig set up for each different car you pulled.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah, could be, I'm not familiar with all brands. I used a Blackhawk years ago, they make a good product. We use Chief EZ liners and Genesis laser measuring as well as hang on gauges. Very rare to do a full frame any more except for trucks, everything is unibody.

·
Registered
451 Posts
We had one similar to the one pictured years ago at the Chevrolet dealer I worked at, the one we had could be chained to pods in the floor, had a ten ton ram on it, I pulled more than one smashed quarter panel or door pillar with it, worked very well at the time as long as what you fastened to the car side of it didn't pull thru or rip the steel.

Mike

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I guess you're kidding but just to be sure. There is no laser straightening equipment, never has cant imagine there ever will be. There is laser measuring, shows you how it's damaged and where it needs to go to. To repair the damage though, it's just good old tonnage that does that.
I just looked back at my post. I was referring to the days before lasers were used to measure the damage. Unless there is a new laser beam with fingers. :beer: Was just trying to say its old... real old... like some of the guys who own el caminos on this site old. :poke:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Hey, Hey - I resemble that remark.:yell:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.