El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blower motor is not working. I tapped on this and it ran for a short time. Can someone tell me the name of it or send a link where to buy one please? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,834 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Yes JJ, the 4 wire plug that usually has the red wires melted to it! Usually caused by corrosion at the connector.

Joe

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the quick info. The wires and connections all seemed ok. Nothing was melted or looked Burt. I'm getting good voltage to the red, I'm just not getting any coming out.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Jess, as a temporary fix you can un bend the tabs and pull the cover off, sand the points on both contacts and you should be good for a while.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I bought my relay & resister & blower motor at Auto Zone , cheap , no shipping charge , they still have lots of parts for 5th gens .

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got a relay today and I now have high speed only. Am I good to assume that low and medium are fed by the switch in the cab? If so I will start tracing wires and see if I connected everything up correctly when I threw the interior back together.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
The relay has 2 sets of contacts. 1 feeds power thru the resistors to vary the speed. When high is selected the relay energizes and switches the contacts to feed high.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone! I found the resistor. It had very cruddy terminals. A little cleaning and I now have low, med, and high speeds now. Woo hoo! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
you're lucky. on a 2000-06 suburban/silverado/escalade/etc, they used a plugin circuit board that would blow out a trace on the board. easy to test by only having certain fan speeds like 2, 4, & 5. easy to verify by pulling the circuit board and looking for the scorch mark, or other tell-tale, that made it obvious the board was damaged.

·
Registered
11,834 Posts
wtg Jess
there is also a connector on the brown wire
under/dash, ~halfway from the fuse box to the control panel,
that sometimes gives a problem too.. while your there checking stuff..
a new blower motor is cheap insurance too, and sometimes makes a noticeable difference...
but
then that leads to cleaning out the A/C box,,
and evaporator and the drain flap [which usually allways needs a good cleaning]..
:texas:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wtg Jess
there is also a connector on the brown wire
under/dash, ~halfway from the fuse box to the control panel,
that sometimes gives a problem too.. while your there checking stuff..
a new blower motor is cheap insurance too, and sometimes makes a noticeable difference...
but
then that leads to cleaning out the A/C box,,
and evaporator and the drain flap [which usually allways needs a good cleaning]..
:texas:
Thanks for the other pointers. I went through most of the wires in the cab when i had it all tore apart this yr. There was a lot of rigging from the previous owner. I had to repair quite a few of the main wires going to the column. And I also had the Little flap cleaned out when I had the front clip off. The only thing I have yet to do is replace the blower motor and clean out everything there. Now that its made a couple of trips to work and back, I will prioritize my to-do list. Which is VERY long. Just happy to have her back on the road!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would also suggest checking for air leaks into the engine bay where the metal lines go into the ac box. I resealed mine with RTV and it made a difference in how much air came out of the vents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts