El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along the highway and the engine shuts off. So I pull over to the side, and try to restart it and after an hour of trying I gave up and had it towed. I got under the hood and tried to find the issue. I get to the distributor and I find that there’s a piece inside that’s corroded and shattered. Can anyone identify the part for me and is there a way that I can get the individual part, or do I need to replace the distributor? Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've not seen a distributor that looks like that with the cap off. All I've seen have the control module and condenser under the rotor. Is it for your Elky?

·
Registered
39 Posts
It looks like the magnetic pick up.??
You have to pull the distributor out and take the gear off to slide the shaft out to get to it?

As rusty as it is your better off getting a new distributor. IMO

·
Registered
774 Posts
That rusted mess in the center is the pickup coil. Inexpensive, but, and no offense meant, if you don't know what it is, it is doubtful you can replace it. The distributor has to be removed, then the shaft pressed out to replace it, and the rust may make it more difficult than usual. I would keep this one and soak it for future rebuild and get a whole new unit. I've purchased them new, with Mallory parts, ready to go for about $60.00 on Ebay. Best of luck to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts