El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this thing, where did it come from and how do I mash it into my '73?!

I found this via a googling of '1973 el camino interior' trying to find out what kind of knobs go on my headlight switch (the knob is just...gone) and according to the site it is associated with, this interior is a 1970 El Camino SS. Is this stock? Custom? Can I somehow put it in mine? I leave the answers up to you oh gurus of interior restoration.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Looks about a 70-71 gm interior. By looking at the style guages and shifter that could be an el camino or chevelle

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Yep---Chevelle with the gauge package

You would be better off looking for a dash with gauges for a 73-77 Chevelle or Monte Carlo
Either one of these will fit like they belong there and are similar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate it guys! I'm trying to decide what to do with mine, since the plastic is all bubbled, well more like wavy and warped. Anyone with '73 dash experience chime in if you can!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Man I'm good! Just kidding, if you can get that in your 73 I would like to see that, that would be awesome!

I like the simplicity of the old cars in late 60's and 70's.

I like the look of the leather bench, the only needed guages and a hurst or B&M shifter. Classic look!

I wanted to put a leather upholstery on my bench in my 84' but had the seats recovered a year or 2 ago so gotta enjoy the new seats!

Good luck!:beer:

·
Registered
497 Posts
ive seen the "horseshoe" shifter and console put in a 75 laguna. might be a few modifications though. i don't think the dash would fitwithout some serious modification, since i think the 4th gens are a bit wider. i found a dash from a 74 laguna s3 that's a direct bolt up. it has the round gauges. you could always go the custom build route and do an aftermarket gauge setup.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Thats whats in my 68 except I have a B&M instead of the horse shoe shifter and added guages!!

Donny

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is the interior of my 77 classic, not crazy about the wood grain on the dash but it is a nice interior. 73-77 interiors should fit.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's not actual wood, but it is the factory dash. I don't know what years they made them like that for but you should be able to find them in at least 75-77 Monte Carlos & El Caminos if they were that trim level. They might have started earlier in the 4th gens but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's not actual wood, but it is the factory dash. I don't know what years they made them like that for but you should be able to find them in at least 75-77 Monte Carlos & El Caminos if they were that trim level. They might have started earlier in the 4th gens but I don't know for sure.
it's quite similar to the 74 laguna dash i acquired. wood grain is a different color, but all the gauges are identical. i believe the 73-77 cutlass, regal, monte, elkie, and chevelle dashes would all fit.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Pretty much limited to Monte Carlo and Chevelle for direct bolt in.
Pontiac, Olds, & Buick all had different dashes.
(My favorite being the Olds Cutlass S)

Now--If one would so desire to graft the entire metal dash to his Chevelle from one of the other GM midsize---that would work just fine----they all have essentially the same skeleton

1 - 14 of 14 Posts